This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not your face, not your concern

First thing's first: I have snakebites. Among other things.
    http://images.dance.net/images/i031/...megl209110.jpg
    (that's not me -I'm not even a boy- but you get the idea)
    I also choose, like the guy in the picture, to wear hoops. I also have a tongue ring that is sometimes visible. In addition to these piercings my ears are spaced to 12mm, though currently I'm moving up to 18mm.
    These piercings are often a starting point for many an annoying and inappropriate question from customers.
    A run-down.

Q: How do you eat with those things in?
    A: The same way you do.

Q: How does your boyfriend like those?
    A: I don't have one, but if I did I would assume he'd like them just fine.

Q: How do you kiss with those things in?
    A: Ask your husband, he'll be able to tell you. (oh how I've wanted to say that so bad some times)

Q: What does kissing feel like with those things?
    A: You're 53 and smell like Funions. Go away.

Q: So can you do any, you know, "special" tricks with those?
    A: If by "special" you mean "key" and "tricks" you mean "your car".

Q: Why did you do that to your ears?
    A: Because answering redundant questions is a hobby of mine.

Q: Does (not "did") that hurt?
    A: Yes. That's why I did it. Constant pain really butters my bread.

Q: What are you going to do when you're 65?
    A: Retire.

Q: (about my earrings) Can you take those out/can I see the hole?
    A: In communist Russia, hole sees you.

Q: So how many tattoos do you have/can I see them?
    A: Sorry, they're all on my butt.

Q: Can I touch them? (about either my bites or earrings)
    A: Sure. $50.

The point I'm trying to get at is that I understand that people will always have questions about the choices I've made with my body modifications, but asking people these annoying and sometimes inappropriate questions is not only rude, but it's very exhausting.
    Look, unless you understand body modification it can never really be explained to you. Nor can I put into words why I chose to make these changes to my appearance, and I realise that the answer, "it makes me feel comfortable in my skin," isn't good enough for you, but it's really none of your business.
    Usually I have no issue with answering questions, but when I'm at WORK!? Come on, now, have some tact.
    Oh wait, I forgot... customers often lack that.

Nothing irritates me more than customers who ask these questions. Well ok, the ones who ask the sexually suggestive questions while winking or attempting to touch me probably top the list.

And that's my rant.
    Last edited by rerant; 10-06-2007, 04:00 AM.

Some people are genuinely curious about that stuff. Me, for instance. And where I live, you don't see much of that very often. So if I see something really out of the ordinary, I ask.
    I do try to be polite about it, however.

If you're going to put all that metal in your face, expect some questions. It's not the norm for most people.
    Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

I personally don't find facial peircings that fasinating, I can understand why some people do. But I do think that they need to change the way that they are asking you questions. However... There was a guy I served on Thursday night who had a tattoo of a fork on his forearm. I was REALLY tempted to ask him what it was about, but then I thought it would be rude. It looked really cool too.

Comment

People are just curious.

Yeah, they may seem like stupid questions to you, but you're the one with the metal on your face, so you already know the answers.

I think a lot of people are just amazed at people who modify their body and wonder why, really.

As a child, I was taught not to ask inappropriate questions about things on people's bodies, or point out physical flaws.
        I take that to mean things that a person cannot help, such as a disability or a mole or scar or natural deformity, but when it comes to something a person has done deliberately, I don't see it as rude to ask about it or comment on it.

Obviously the person wants attention drawn to something, or they wouldn't put drawings and metal all over their body, so why get all bent out of shape just because a person notices and comments, or asks about it?
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
          People are just curious.
          They're often incredibly nosy and impertinent, as well. Unless they're at least acquaintances of hers, I don't see what business they have asking how a perfect stranger kisses with her piercings in.
          Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

Well, DUUHHH....
            Obviously some of the questions weren't appropriate, but overall, I'm of the opinion that, if one is going to do things like modifying one's body to look out of the norm, one should expect a certain amount of questions from curious people who simply don't understand the need to do that type of thing.

As the OP said, "unless you understand body modification it can never really be explained to you. Nor can I put into words why I chose to make these changes to my appearance"
            If the person making the changes can't even explain it, then it's only natural that others would be baffled by it.

Obviously, the changes are made for some reason, and some people feel that part of the reason must include the need to draw attention, so why get bent out of shape when that is the result?

Comment

ok the smartaleck in me has to take a stab at these...

Quoth rerant View Post
              Q: How does your boyfriend like those?
              "As much as yours does...and he wishes you'd get some"

Quoth rerant View Post
              Q: Does (not "did") that hurt?
              (said while poking/tugging at them)-"Gee doesn't appear to"(this is what my piercer did anytime someone asked him that question-he normally kept a pencil or pen slid through his ear holes to tug on)

Quoth rerant View Post
              Q: (about my earrings) Can you take those out/can I see the hole?
              <dig in your pocket, then hold your fingers about a half inch apart>-"here's the hole, I took it out this morning to put the plugs in."
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                Q: So how many tattoos do you have/can I see them?
                A: Sorry, they're all on my butt.

Q: Can I touch them? (about either my bites or earrings)
                A: Sure. $50.
                To answer the first one, "They're on my ass, that's $400, and you have to wait until I'm off the clock."
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                  (said while poking/tugging at them)-"Gee doesn't appear to"(this is what my piercer did anytime someone asked him that question-he normally kept a pencil or pen slid through his ear holes to tug on)
                  oh, so that's why people do that to their ears...built in pencil holder!

Personally, I don't understand some of the things people do, but hey, if it makes you happy, more power to ya'!

<dig in your pocket, then hold your fingers about a half inch apart>-"here's the hole, I took it out this morning to put the plugs in."
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I would NEVER ask a stranger, but I have never understood why people would want huge holes in their ears.

Don't you have to have plastic surgery if you ever get sick of them?

Comment

Quoth Posture Moll View Post
                      don't see what business they have asking how a perfect stranger kisses with her piercings in.
                      This is actually the one I thought had the most validity as a "I'm curious" type of question. Most of the others you can probably figure out, or would have very personal answers, but the actual question:

Quoth rerant View Post
                      Q: What does kissing feel like with those things?
                      A: You're 53 and smell like Funions. Go away.
                      ...is WHAT does it feel like, not how. Since kissing's one of the few tactile things we do with lips, I think I'd be curious too. Now, I don't smell like Funions, and I hope I'd ask tactfully, but does this mean any question about bodmods is verboten? I would think it would be more along the lines of "cool shoes - are they comfortable?" or "are those XZY jackets very warm?" or anything else you see on another human that interests you.

BTW rerant, you're absolutely right - if it weren't the mods, it'd be your hair, or your clothes, or whatever.... a tactless CS will find a way

Comment

i think it is curoiusity, not rudeness, by wearing those mods, you do put yourself out there, for all you know they may admire the mods and be considering getting similar ones for themselves, if i was those are some of the questions i may ask.
                        they are only the same questions to you becasue you hear them but for the curious person, its there first time asking, they arn't (hopefully) trying to piss you off.
                        just because they happen to a customer doesn't change them from being people, and as there are good and bad people the same applies towards customers.
                        don't proclaim them to be sucky just for asking a few curious and HARMLESS questions

Comment

If it is appropriate to ask nosy questions about someone's piercings or body modifications, is it also appropriate to say "Wow, Why would you get THAT hair cut?" Or "how does your boyfriend like you going around in THAT shirt?" or "Hey, when you got that boob job, did it hurt? what do they feel like?" (Hey, boob jobs are optional and therefore, according to some of the above, free to be commented upon)

People put themselves out there in alot of ways, piercings, haircuts, or colors, tatoos, clothing, but usually it's considered rude to comment on people's dress or hair cuts or breast enhancements

Comment

Quoth April View Post
                            If it is appropriate to ask nosy questions about someone's piercings or body modifications, is it also appropriate to say "Wow, Why would you get THAT hair cut?" Or "how does your boyfriend like you going around in THAT shirt?" or "Hey, when you got that boob job, did it hurt? what do they feel like?" (Hey, boob jobs are optional and therefore, according to some of the above, free to be commented upon)

People put themselves out there in alot of ways, piercings, haircuts, or colors, tatoos, clothing, but usually it's considered rude to comment on people's dress or hair cuts or breast enhancements
                            Boob jobs aren't always obvious.

Yes, a person could comment on a haircut and offer an opinion. ("That haircut is really unique. I like it.")

Yes, a person could comment on a shirt. ("That's a really nice shirt. Where did you buy it? Is it comfortable?")

As I already stated, of course there were questions asked that crossed the line of good taste, but I still maintain that a person who fills their face with metal or tattoos their body is welcoming attention, so it seems a little contradictory, in my opinion, to be so indignant when that happens.

Comment

Quoth alogram View Post
                              I would NEVER ask a stranger, but I have never understood why people would want huge holes in their ears.

Don't you have to have plastic surgery if you ever get sick of them?

The huge "plugs" (the type that's like a cork in someone's ear, or a ring that shows a huge, stretched hole) may need surgery to undo them (though I'm fairly certain that's not usually an issue, I could be wrong), but understand that few people jump into getting plugs. Usually they'll get a normal gage (something around 18-14), then may decide later they want a bigger gage (14-10), then, eventually, they MAY make the jump to a plug (8-00). Obviously this is a process of becoming used to the idea and deciding if it's really you, so most people with plugs don't regret it.

All other piercings (10 and bellow) will heal if you take the piercing out long enough. No matter where you put them.

As for why: I myself am not "into" them, but I long ago stopped caring what other people did to their faces/body parts. In fact, I'm actually quite interested in aesthetic views different from my own. ^.^
                              The icon is a bunny with a spiked collar from some carpet ad.

Comment

Working...
                              X