X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had some fun customers today

No, seriously, they were.
    L1: Lady 1, she wasn't exactly being sucky
    L2: The one who was trying to get me to twist my own head off, I'm sure.
    RJ: Whom else?

Roughly, L1 was going through her transaction, and some of her stuff just wasn't ringing correctly, no matter what I tried. L2 would jump in every so often to offer her thoughts on the situation, such as, the dreaded, "If you can't ring it, it must be free." *I need an 'Eurgh' smilie...* And then she told us (L1 and I) how Albertsons used to offer that particular guarantee, if they couldn't scan the item, it was free.
    Okay, however, you're not in Albertsons. Much less, we aren't even similar companies.
    RJ: *what I said* "So that's where that comes from..."
    Turned out shortly after, that L1 only had big bills (supposedly) and would be needing change in denominations I didn't have. (I think she was going to pay with a 20, and would be getting a $5 back, which I was entirely out of at the time) So, L2 chimed in on that. Something to the effect of, "So, then, what are you going to do?"
    RJ: *blink* "I'm going to request smaller bills, and hope she can pay with fives."
    L2: "But, isn't it the duty of the store to have the change for customers?"
    RJ: "Not necessarily, no. Sometimes, there's just circumstances that make it hard to fill that, and in those cases, you politely inform the customer about the problem on the store's end and hope they can find another way to pay."

L1 finished her transaction, and, while I still had the cash drawer open, asked to buy a $20 off me, with two fives and a ten. To which L2 minorly objected, saying something like, "If you do it once, she'll expect it every time."
    RJ: *shrug* "Nah, really, the only thing I routinely expect from anyone, besides common decency, is lunch with Mom when she and I go out to do errands, and that's not guaranteed."

L2 started off her transaction by saying, "Okay, so now, for all the trouble I caused, you're going to charge me double, right?"
    RJ: "If I had a button that said, 'Charge her double', then, yes. However, no such button exists."
    We went through the transaction, and somewhere toward the end, L2 said something to which I replied, "Yeah, I can be kind of a bitch." Or something like that.
    To which L2 said, "Yeah, but you seem to have a good handle on it."

That story was so vague because it happened early in the day.

Another customer I had, also a lady, bought 49 yards of one type of ribbon, and then 57 of another kind. The big problem here? I had to unwind and measure both spools of ribbon to find out how much was on them. I saw tons of people get into my line, and subsequently leave, because I was taking too long. There was a lot of ribbon.

I overheard some customers in my line talking amongst themselves later, when it was just the FES and myself, and lines were horrid.
    1: "You would think that they would have more people on register."
    2: "Yeah, of course, you would think that they'd get more immediately once the other lady paged for 'backup cashiers to the front'."
    Oh, if only life were that simple. It's entirely possible the other back up cashiers were busy with the truck. Also, I've seen two or three back up cashiers who are management, and at least one of them is usually only on for 7 hours at a time, so she may have gone home already. 'Back up cashiers' may not have been available.

I think, now that Christmas is on it's way, I'll be seeing some SCs, however, I believe I'll have the energy to stay polite, even if they're not polite to me. I AM GOING to keep this job until the New Year, at least.
    "I call murder on that!"

Quoth Juwl View Post
    L2: "But, isn't it the duty of the store to have the change for customers?"
    an old one, kind of related, and going back to 2001 when I first started in retail:

SC: "Change this $50 for me."
    Me: "Sorry sir, I'm very low on notes. Got lots of coins though."
    SC: "You misunderstand. I'm going to give you this $50, you're going to give me fives and tens."
    Me: "I'm out of tens and have only a couple of fives left."
    SC: "So you're refusing to change this note? Fine then! I'll buy this (90 cent packet of gum). Now you're forced to give me change!"
    Me: "OK..." (starts counting out $40.10 in coins).
    SC: gets CBF, stomps out with his pockets full of coins.
    Manager who was training me: Good job! He's in the handbook under "arsehole". Now I'll take that $50 and give you some tens.

Comment

I love how he's telling you that you ARE going to do this for him. Cuz telling you that you ARE going to do it magically makes more 10's appear.
      My Wajas cave

Comment

OHMYGOD I had to ring someone up for, like, 40 yards of ribbon-by-the-yard just today. He didn't understand that I had to take it all off the roll and measure it (he wanted several rolls of the r-b-t-y) because some was missing. Luckliy, though, he didn't make me put it all back on the spool like some jerks do.

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
          Luckliy, though, he didn't make me put it all back on the spool like some jerks do.
          The lady actually started to wind up the first one while I started on the second spool, and then, she wound the second spool as well, once I was done with it. She even moved out of the way of my register so other customers could be rung out.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I love how SCs think that once you page more cashiers to come up and ring, you must also magically make them appear! and the comments about "how you think they would get more" - how pray tell do they expect you to do that? if you actually LEFT the register to go find them, they would complain. And it isn't like you have ANY control over how quickly they answer the pages!

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
              OHMYGOD I had to ring someone up for, like, 40 yards of ribbon-by-the-yard just today. He didn't understand that I had to take it all off the roll and measure it (he wanted several rolls of the r-b-t-y) because some was missing. Luckliy, though, he didn't make me put it all back on the spool like some jerks do.

It seems like EVERY time I get someone who wants.."what ever is on the roll" not only is the roll only missing like 2 yards (but of course you don't that out until you're finished measuring it)....they decide not to buy the shit. OR they get pissed because I have to ring up each yard...individually, and then get mad because it takes too long.

(Scan "ribbon by the yard", enter price, hit enter, scan "ribbon by the yard", enter price, hit enter...etc etc, over and over. It's even MORE fun when it goes on sale for 50% off. Scan "ribbon by the yard", enter price, hit enter, hit discount, enter discount amount, hit enter, imput reason code, hit enter, Scan "ribbon by the yard", enter price, hit enter, hit discount, enter discount amount, hit enter, imput reason code, hit enter, over and over until someone gets hurt.)

I hate ribbon.

(I also love the people who come up to me with their ribbon when I'm on the floor "I'd like two yard of this". I'm not mean, but it is funny that they will seek out people who are on completely the OTHER SIDE of the store from the ribbon... But whatever, sometimes people don't know how shit is done. And now they do. They'll forget, but they'll know, for like half a minute. Or something)

What I REALLY love...is when one brand of ribbon is on sale, but not the others. Because people always get that wrong. Or when brand x is on sale for like 2.99, and brand Y is one sale for 1.99....and gah.
              you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                And it isn't like you have ANY control over how quickly they answer the pages!
                or IF they answer
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
                  And it isn't like you have ANY control over how quickly they answer the pages!
                  I shared that particular story with two of my coworkers in the break room today. N said, "It's like we're just magically fully stocked, and are waiting for customers to come in so we can serve them."
                  "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                    SC: "Change this $50 for me."
                    Me: "Sorry sir, I'm very low on notes. Got lots of coins though."
                    SC: "You misunderstand. I'm going to give you this $50, you're going to give me fives and tens."
                    "No, you misunderstand. I'm. Very. Low. On. Notes. That bank down the block has plenty of notes though, you might just try changing your $50 there."

I see Selective Hearing is a worldwide phenomenon.
                    Last edited by XCashier; 11-10-2007, 02:33 AM.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Bramble View Post
                      I love how he's telling you that you ARE going to do this for him.
                      No kidding! Gotta love customers who think that they can just boss around the store employees like that. At least in the end, the SC did not get his way.
                      "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                      ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth Tito View Post
                        At least in the end, the SC did not get his way.
                        Sadly I didn't either, we both wanted things that were physically impossible.

Comment

Working...
                        X