Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who takes a guys ladder while he's using it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who takes a guys ladder while he's using it?

I tend to work weekends for this guy that gave me a job over the summer. I had anger issues and was in counseling with the VA, and this guy basically let me into his family and gave me a job. He owns a private marina that he and his family live at on this beautiful man made lake. I absolutely love it as its really laid back and peaceful. I usually don't work in the off season, its cold as hell, but my boss called up and asked if I would re shingle one of the buildings and I couldn't say no. So I'm out there on top of this old cabin. Suddenly...
    "Hey you work here?" some old dude
    "Yeah, why the hell else would I be up here?"
    "The bathrooms are locked"
    Now here is how laid back this place is. Rather than worry about locking the bathrooms, my boss had me just disable them. No worries there.
    "Buddy I don't know what you are talking about but that ain't possible. The locks are broken on the trailer."
    "Trailer?"
    "Yeah, the big ass trailers we got...about a year ago, that have symbols on the doors indicating the sex of the people that use them...yeah thats the bathrooms."
    "Ohh, thanks son"
    Now I should have known something was up. See the building I was on, used to contain the bathrooms until about six months ago when I ripped out the plumbing and turned it into showers. Now that door has a lock. Here's the kicker. When the old dude went to check the door, which on it said "Employees only" and had a sing indicating the direction to the new heads, my ladder, which I used to get up on the building, was in his way. So this man decided to just move it and didn't tell me. Nor did he put it back after I told him where to go. Yep, I was stuck up there for about an hour after I was done, starring at the ladder as it leaned against another building that was juuuuust to far for me to reach. If your wondering why I didn't have a cell on me, when you work around the water, you learn to keep your pockets empty. Seriously, it wasn't until my boss' wife came drove down to pick up the mail did someone see me and hear my yelling. I see that old dude there again, I'm chucking him in the lake.
    "Beatings will continue until morale improves!"

I have been standing on a rolling ladder, hanging decorations from the ceiling, and one "customer" decided that they way to get my attention was to grab the ladder and shake it. My reaction was to get lower, and turn around to see what the hell was going on. Upon the customer seeing me...

SC: Now that I have you attention, you can answer my quiestion
    Me: No, I will not. You could have caused me to fall and be seriously injured.
    SC: But I needed help.
    Me: Talk to the manager, I don't care.
    Sc: *storms off*

I called the MOD and explained the situation, the SC did complain but never mentioned the ladder. The MOD refused service to the custoemr.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
      I have been standing on a rolling ladder, hanging decorations from the ceiling, and one "customer" decided that they way to get my attention was to grab the ladder and shake it. My reaction was to get lower, and turn around to see what the hell was going on. Upon the customer seeing me...
      Oh man I can't wait until this happens to me. Considering it's the holiday season and I have to use the stair/step ladders in every day work (except I have to take whole desktop computers down off of them! ) it's going to be fun, especially on The Friday of Infinite Dark!

I can barely use the ladders already as I've got a rather rational fear of heights. I fell off of a ferris wheel when I was 6, along with 2 of my friends. Me and the other managed to hold on for 45 minutes at the top of a 50 foot wheel, other friend managed to fall and crack his head open on the ground ><; Ever since then I become almost paralyzed when I am up high and not fully enclosed up to my breasts. These ladders have A BAR holding me in on each side which comes up to about my stomach when all is said and done. It thusly takes me a long time to get the computer down as I will not go down the ladder with no hands on the rails.

So if a customer were to shake the ladder with a computer on my shoulder and one hand on the rail, especially the steep ladder with only 3 wheels, well... I'll PROBABLY freak out and fall backwards, crack my head against a step, drop a 1k piece of equipment, and I'll just tell them to fuck off.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post

I can barely use the ladders already as I've got a rather rational fear of heights. I fell off of a ferris wheel when I was 6, along with 2 of my friends.

I'm weird I can be on a roller coaster just fine but stairs, ladders, and elevators make me nervous.
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Wow. That's a really stupid thing to do. I mean, most customers are dumb but... wow. My hat is off to the guy who moved a workman's ladder to another building. That's so dumb it's just... wow.

Actually, someone did push me off the little step thing we use to stack the high shelves. Some eight year old wanted sweets, but her mother wouldn't buy them for her. So the little angel threw a tantrem and pushed me off the step. It was only a foot and a bit high, but my knees arn't used to jolting, so I fell pretty hard. Stupid brat.
          I'm busy, you're an idiot, have a nice day

At least I shall die as I have lived; completely surrounded by morons.

Comment

Now that he has your attention? What an ass. He couldn't figure out that someone up on a ladder is NOT someone to bother for his little problem?

Comment

Quoth Quicksilver View Post
              Now that he has your attention? What an ass. He couldn't figure out that someone up on a ladder is NOT someone to bother for his little problem?
              No kidding! Kudoes to the manager for refusing service to him. I wish that more businesses had managers like that, who are not afraid to stand up to SCs.
              "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
              ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                I'm weird I can be on a roller coaster just fine but stairs, ladders, and elevators make me nervous.
                Funny enough, I feel more secured by rollercoasters becuase they have that thing over my chest. I -feel- secure. Ferris wheels i'm surrounded by open scaryness. I hate ladders, stairs, escalators, elevators, and the 2nd floor of the mall- yet I'm just fine on a Stockpicker. Why? There's a bloody harness attached to it!

Imagine trying to lift a desktop PC onto one of these things (the one on the far left)! Because the top platform is so narrow, I have to stand on two steps and lift with both hands to actually get it over the bar, and then wedge it onto the top step. Then I have to carry it down on my shoulder. Would you feel safe doing that?

I feel like my feet stop working when I look over and can see the whole big box store. -shiver- and then when I have to get a laptop out of the cage and fight with both hands with the lock on said cage... I hate not having one hand secure on a rail.
                Last edited by Pezzle; 11-11-2007, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Quoth Nox View Post
                  Actually, someone did push me off the little step thing we use to stack the high shelves. Some eight year old wanted sweets, but her mother wouldn't buy them for her. So the little angel threw a tantrem and pushed me off the step. It was only a foot and a bit high, but my knees arn't used to jolting, so I fell pretty hard. Stupid brat.
                  Lemme guess. No apology? Did anyone (other than employees) bother to see if you were okay? It doesn't matter what height, tripping on nothing can cause serious injury. I'd hate to add any sort of height to that.

And as for the rude twit that shook the ladder, he/she is darned lucky nothing came crashing down in addition to the employee. Heh, I wonder if it could be called self defense.
                  A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                    Funny enough, I feel more secured by rollercoasters becuase they have that thing over my chest. I -feel- secure.
                    It's not the chest thingy, I just assume if something goes wrong I'll not survive the fall, unlike stairs where there's a good chance I may be awake at some point.
                    How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Once I was changing the marquee sign at the theater when it was cold and snowy. The marquee sign was near a busy highway. I am on a ladder trying to change the sign (putting the new movies up) and this asswipe blows his horn, startling me. I almost fell of the ladder because I was so stunned. He yelled "What time is ??? showing!?" (I think it Space Jam, but it was a long time ago.)

I told him I didn't have the showtimes with me and to drive up to the ticket booth where the show times are displayed. He said "F-U!" and then spun off.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                        I would have called the police on them, that's assault and battery with the intention to do harm.

Oh yeah, and have OSHA come visit them where they work.
                        Quote Dalesys:
                        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
                          have OSHA come visit them where they work.
                          Why? It wasn't neglectful on the company's part. The customer was being a raging moron. OSHA doesn't penalize for that.
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

At my new job, at Academy (a sporting goods store), I have to climb ladders a lot. They also allow a lot of kids to skate around the store, on skateboards, roller skates, and heelys, right next to where I'm working. Sometimes I'm kind of scared that some idiot kid on heelys or a skateboard will slam right into my ladder, but I try not to think about it too much. I don't want to bring it on by thinking about it.

The skating aisle is right next to the shoe department and the management has no problem with kids testing out all the skating stuff right around the ladders.

Every time I see Heelys I want to smack the parents, hard. Those things are just idiotic. I found out that there's a helmet that's sold for use with them, but most people don't buy or use it.

Comment

Quoth Rubystars View Post
                              Every time I see Heelys I want to smack the parents, hard. Those things are just idiotic. I found out that there's a helmet that's sold for use with them, but most people don't buy or use it.
                              Despite the big signs by the entrances saying they are prohibited parents let the little darlings use them all the time. I take great pleasure in letting them know the rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X