This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the night crawlers

I have grown to hate these people... I refer to them this way because they mainly call at night... basically they are the people who will do the rudest things and violate all my pet peeves...
    For example, during the day people understand that it is rude if you don't like the rate to just hang up... you at least say no thank you but I'll have to go somewhere else... night crawlers though, they just say OK and hang up.
    during the day people know that it is stupid to ask questions like "how deep is the pool" or "what is the exact square footage of the room"
    during the day people know what to expect when it comes to rates, and know that $300 for a 4 star in New York in December is a STEAL, nightcrawlers will bitch that it is cheaper in bumfuckia
    during the day employees are capable of sending people to the right department, at night they too become night crawlers and will make blatantly improper transfers, like giving me people asking to speak to a MOD, or a group coordinator, or point blank tell the person that they have a housing restricted reservation to make.
    oh yes, and my personal favorite is during the day people know not to expect the perfect room and location unless you plan in advance, a night crawler will expect the perfect room at the perfect location, for arriving tonight staying a week... god help you if you tell them that the closest place available is an ungodly distance of 5 miles away... oh yes, and this perfect room must be able to accommodate 5 people in non smoking... bonus points to the night crawler if such a room doesn't even exist in the area they are looking for (ie, Manhattan... nothing will accommodate 5 people in 1 room)

oh I have more... those are just the one's I've encountered so far today (and it's only 6pm).

oh, another to add... night crawlers consider it appropriate to say a date as 8 8... while a normal person knows the polite way to say either the 8th of august or august 8th.
    Last edited by Ree; 07-09-2008, 05:09 AM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

*hands over cookies*
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

on my side of the work force, my job is so much paper/computer work that a date as 8 8 is more appreciated then aug 8th. so maybe those same people call the cops a lot? haha, i guess that makes it worse though...
      "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
        during the day people know that it is stupid to ask questions like "how deep is the pool" or "what is the exact square footage of the room"
        I'm showing my ignorance a bit, but what's so bad about those two? The pool one I can see for travellers with kids, to know what they may have to prepare for if their kids go swimming (could also see "how big is the pool?" for those who might want to swim laps). As far as room size...I've had a few reasonable people who've asked that as well. The most common reason for that one these days seems to be from those wanting to use a yoga mat in the room when they wake up...and obviously need the room to do so.

The rest are annoying though
        "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
        "What IS fun to fight through?"
        "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
          on my side of the work force, my job is so much paper/computer work that a date as 8 8 is more appreciated then aug 8th. so maybe those same people call the cops a lot? haha, i guess that makes it worse though...
          well, other than our computers are set up where we enter the day then then 3 letter abbreviation of the month (UK style)... remember when calling the cops it's all business... it's supposed to be a bit more conversational with us... and I'm sorry, the people who will say just the numbers invariably do it in a way that makes them sound like a chimp jumping up and down (oh my god, I think I may be turning into gravekeeper)

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
          I'm showing my ignorance a bit, but what's so bad about those two? The pool one I can see for travellers with kids, to know what they may have to prepare for if their kids go swimming (could also see "how big is the pool?" for those who might want to swim laps). As far as room size...I've had a few reasonable people who've asked that as well. The most common reason for that one these days seems to be from those wanting to use a yoga mat in the room when they wake up...and obviously need the room to do so.

The rest are annoying though
          Khirashy... you wouldn't be sucky asking how big is the pool, that I understand... I've had people though want details like how many feet deep is it at it's deepest... hell, the people at the hotel don't even know that (i know, I've called and their response has been basically the "you're kidding me right")
          and once again, asking the approximate size of the room, not sucky, demanding the exact square footage (or in one case the person who wanted me to tell them the exact depth, width, and height of the room)... I'm sorry, even at the hotel I work at I couldn't give you that much detail other than how many people it's large enough to comfortably accommodate...

Comment

For example, during the day people understand that it is rude if you don't like the rate to just hang up... you at least say no thank you but I'll have to go somewhere else... night crawlers though, they just say OK and hang up.
            Why is it rude to say "ok, thanks" and hang up? There may be a number of reasons I wouldn't say either "i'll take it" or "I'll have to go somewhere else".

Comment

Quoth ebonyknight View Post
              Why is it rude to say "ok, thanks" and hang up? There may be a number of reasons I wouldn't say either "i'll take it" or "I'll have to go somewhere else".
              because we don't give a number and shut up... so for them to say ok thanks right after the rate they are interrupting us and often time leave us mid sentence when another call comes through.

Comment

because we don't give a number and shut up... so for them to say ok thanks right after the rate they are interrupting us and often time leave us mid sentence when another call comes through.
                I still don't understand. You said "you at least say no thank you but I'll have to go somewhere else". If they said that, they would still be interrupting you.

I am obviously missing your point, somewhere.

Comment

I still don't understand. You said "you at least say no thank you but I'll have to go somewhere else". If they said that, they would still be interrupting you.

I am obviously missing your point, somewhere.
                  but at least then we would have time to stop talking before a new call suddenly comes in... at night we are always short staffed so as soon as one person hangs up another call comes through... and now the person after gets a greeting of "and would you like me to... reservations desk..." and it's not that big of a deal, but it leaves us appearing less than professional to the next caller, and when this happens a few times a hour it gets old really fast.

Comment

I hate working at night for the same reasons. You're more likely to get the nutjobs and there is a reason the graveyard shift on the CHP requires partners.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                    ~Clerks

Comment

...and I'm sorry, the people who will say just the numbers invariably do it in a way that makes them sound like a chimp jumping up and down (oh my god, I think I may be turning into gravekeeper)

I think the point is not so much that they say, "ok, thanks" just that they say, "ok" <click> and they're gone. It's kind of rude.

if you were talking to someone conversationally...

and you just finished a detailed explanation of some information that you both agree on and feel strongly about and the person just says, "whatever" and then turns and walks away as if they're not interested. you'd be like

but at least then we would have time to stop talking before a new call suddenly comes in... at night we are always short staffed so as soon as one person hangs up another call comes through... and now the person after gets a greeting of "and would you like me to... reservations desk..." and it's not that big of a deal, but it leaves us appearing less than professional to the next caller, and when this happens a few times a hour it gets old really fast.
                      Amen, brother!!! AMEN!!!
                      Last edited by Brightglaive; 07-09-2008, 05:20 PM.
                      You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

oh, I have another one to add (this thread could get long as the week goes on)...

normal people understand the idea that if they see on the website only smoking rooms available, they will figure out that, *gasp* there are only smoking rooms available... a night crawler will tell you about the rate they had seen online for those nights and wanted to book it then will go all entitlement whore on you when you tell them that there are only smoking rooms available and you aren't able to pull a non smoking room out of your ass for them.

those are a subset of a broader group, normal people understand that unless you are using a negotiated rate or a pre-blocked group the published rates and availability are what we are going to offer... those published rates are the same online and through call in... and if the hotels are honoring their franchise agreements you won't get a better rate by calling them directly. Don't let that stop the night crawlers from calling in asking if we really are sold out, or if we offer a lower rate for people calling in (though logic would suggest we offer a lower rate online sense it costs us less, but don't let logic get in the way of these dear night crawlers).

Comment

Smiley, at least they say 'oh okay' before hanging up when getting a rate quote they do not like. I hate the ones that you tell them the price and they immediately hang up without a word. What i have started doing is calling them right back, telling them, 'hey we were somehow accidentally cut off Mr JOnes (I would have looked up who they are by the phone number) and asking them how many of that would they like to order. They don't order but it gives them the heeby-jeebys, they tuck their tails between their legs, say 'no ma'am, yes ma'am' before getting off the phone...
                          "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

ooh.... we have a new addition... on hold for a transfer to guest relations (sorry dekyrose)... she didn't read the website and now has a $1140 cancel fee... and of course nowhere on the website did it say there would be that fee... of course... don't let the big red letters saying it get in the way... people at night apparently can't read either

Comment

Holy Biscuits Batman! That's one hell of a cancellation fee! Whatall did this lady order?!
                              Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                              X