This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a somewhat of a problem.

I have had troube sleeping since I left the big N house, so they presicbe a magical pill called Ambien. I'm taking twice, sometimes trice the doctors orders, going on to my third supply of the 5 I had to support me through janary.It sucks cause its the only thing that helps me sleep. Apperently its rather easy to get addicted too, and I'm apperently showing the signs.

I know this isn't major or life-threathlin, (I don't think so), so must of you are proubly meh on the issile.

If I am addicted, that means I failed in my promise not to get into drugs and acholo. I can feel it coming over me, so I'll make it straight. Send some hope towards me that I don't become addicted. I'm all ready pissed off that I'm out of pills and need to go get another one tomorrow if the med cleared it like they said they did. -_- I Want them here now!
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Plaidman, if you are concerned that you are becoming too dependent on the Ambien, GO BACK TO YOUR DOCTOR NOW.

Do not faff about writing stuff on internet boards. We are nice people and we will support you, but we are not medical professionals and we cannot help you in the way you need to be helped. Sending hope will make you feel better, but you absolutely NUST go to the dr and let him helpyou as well. I don't know too much about sleeping pill adddiction, but if its safe to do so, it would be best to switch to another drug immediately.
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

All the hope to you that you need and more.
      Prescription meds are the worst for addiction in my opinion, because you actually need them, at least temporarily, so it isn't like you can just try and quit.
      Good luck
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'll second that! Get your butt back to the doctor NOW!!!!! An addiction, even possible, to sleeping pills is not something to mess around with! Get back to the doc!

Comment

Too much of any drug is harmful regardless. Whether it's acid, E, or sleeping pills, overdosing is overdosing and can cause you not to wake up in the morning. You gotta get to you doctor and talk it out with him.

As for alternatives for sleeping, try music. Some people like nice, calming music to put them to sleep. I like rock, punk, alternative, metal, rap...Whatever you like. Just as long as it's not too loud but just loud enough that you can hear it. Listening to music can help calm the nerves and let you relax.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Go To Your Doctor Now!!!!
            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Plaidman,
              I too had an issue with Ambien when I was in college. It was prescribed to me for the wrong reasons. I highly recommend going back to your Dr. there are other sleep meds on the market with less possibility for addiction. Talk to your Dr. he will likely change you to something else. It is always better to address these things early than it is to wait and get in trouble.
              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Plaidman,

Please go to your doctor ASAP. Tell him/her what you told us.
                My mother is so addicted to that stuff she walks around the house doing things at night, then has no idea she did them in the morning. When she was just home from having a hip replacement, and not supposed to be going up or down stairs, we found her doing so in the middle of the night. She could have fallen and ruined the (very successful) surgery and not even remembered it.

Somewhere I saw (yeh real helpful I know) a news report of someone *getting in their car and *driving* while under the influence of Ambien*.

I know it's helpful for short term sleep issues but I really feel it is prescribed much too carelessly by many doctors (and the quack my mother sees would be number one....I saw him for an ear infection that would NOT go away, sure enough he wrote me a script for Ambien 'in case you can't sleep'. I'd put Ambien down on the paperwork as one of the (many) drugs I cannot take!

There's other sleep-help out there that is much better for you...and won't get you addicted.

Hugs (if you are OK with that) and strength to get through this!
                LemonZest

Comment

Ditto what the others said, speak with your doctor about it. There are other, non habit-forming sleep aids available for you, for example Rozerem, a fairly new non-controlled one out. Some people also use mood-regulating drugs such as amitriptyline with success.

Go over your current drug list with him to see if there's anything you're currently taking that could be causing the insomnia, and if there is, perhaps consider changing to something else.

Also take stock of your lifestyle and diet at the moment. Are you drinking caffeinated drinks after a certain hour in the evening? Is there a lot of stress in your life that may be aggravating the insomnia?
                  http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_tips.htm
                  This is a pretty good article on a lot of the non-rx things you can do to improve sleep.

Good luck!

Comment

Plaidman, as usual, you have made a post that cries for help, got members upset with worry about you, and received lots of wonderful advice.

Now, please don't go back to your usual routine of never posting an update or following any of the excellent advice offered.

CS is not a therapy board. We care about each other, and I certainly do care very much about what happens to you, Plaidman, but there comes a point when people cry wolf.
                    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

I did talk to my pschyotherpirst. Or whatever it is you call those who prescribe mediecnes that aren't doctors. He told me that I won't be addicted, but I'm most likely getting a dependecy on it. Since I take it every night, he told me that he'll prescribe a higher dose to it, but I'm suppose to take only a few a week, (Pill and half, so 15 mg instead of 2 mgs). I don't mean to cry wolf, I just wanted others opinions so I don't worry. I can't belive everything I read online, and I was mostly going off of wikipedia and a few other sites that was crying the dangers of ambien.

Edit; The whole reason I was replying, was to thank you all for the advice. I'm still going to talk to him in person in October on my next appiontment t get something different. As for my diet, I drink way to much soda, and no water. Which I'm going to start doing. (I hope....). I work two, sometimes three different swifts a week. (Like this week its grave tonight, swing tomorrow, off monday, grave mon-thursday, day sat. Day and swing sun. and then I get a new swift. But thank you all for the replies, they do mean alot to me.
                      Last edited by Plaidman; 09-23-2006, 05:32 PM.
                      Military Spouse Support.
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Thanks for the update Plaidman.

I didn't mean to seem cruel or insensitive, but I have seen a pattern from you in the past. You make these posts that cause all of us to get worried, and then you don't bother with an update, and disappear for weeks or months, leaving us to wonder if you are really OK.
                        It comes off as attention-seeking, even if you don't mean it that way.
                        I think you have some very real problems, so I didn't want you to go back to that pattern.

I am wondering, though, for the sake of clarity, what is the difference between dependence and addiction?

I also don't understand, if he says you are developing a dependence, why he would increase the dosage and leave it to you to monitor your intake to "a few a week" rather than every night.

It's no wonder your sleep cycle is out of whack, with all the different shifts.
                        I am wondering if there are better ways than chemical drugs to help you with this.
                        I know a few years ago when I was having sleep interruptions, I tried Valerian root.
                        It only took a week or so for my body to start developing its own rhythm. When I stopped taking it, there were no bouncebacks or side effects at all. (That was my experience. Not everyone reacts the same way to all things.) It's still a herbal drug, so it's not necessarily 100% harmless and safe. I just know it worked for me, and I felt better about taking it than some sleeping pill from the doctor.

Comment

Valerian - it's where Valium comes from, so it's a dangerous (albeit useful) chemical at a much lower dose.

BTW we sell Valerian tea. Supposed to be very calming...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                            Valerian - it's where Valium comes from, so it's a dangerous (albeit useful) chemical at a much lower dose.
                            Actually, Raps, any research I have done says that is a common misconception because of the similarity in the name.

While they both work in a similar manner, Valium is actually synthetic member of the benzodiazepine family, while Valerian is natural plant extract.

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/23/63.cfm
                            http://www.mindpub.com/altern08.htm
                            http://www.tvo.org/yourhealth/joe_sc.../valarian.html
                            http://www.holisticonline.com/Herbal-Med/_Herbs/h26.htm

Comment

Golly!

Rapscallion, learning something every day...

Comment

Working...
                              X