Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valerian tea is a calming one but I recommend - if there are any of those lines of teas in your area - this semi-generic common-to-pharmacies tea called Sleep Easy (in the same line as Throat Coat teas for when you have the flu). I don't know what's in it precisely, but trust it to cure any insomnia you have.
    Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to get out of the blanket nest.

Comment

Quoth LadyMage View Post
      this semi-generic common-to-pharmacies tea called Sleep Easy (in the same line as Throat Coat teas for when you have the flu)
      You don't know who makes it, do you?
      Wonder if it's available in Canada.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        Valerian - it's where Valium comes from, so it's a dangerous (albeit useful) chemical at a much lower dose.

BTW we sell Valerian tea. Supposed to be very calming...

Rapscallion
        I've tried Valierian Root a few years ago when I was having trouble sleeping due to neck/shoulder pain. It didn't interfere w/the meds my doctor had me on at the time and I did't feel addicted to it in any way.

Only reason I stopped taking it was because I couldn't quite get past the aroma when opening the bottle - it's a strong, yeasty odor that will almost knock a horse out cold. To me, it smelled like manure (and that's putting it nicely.)

I wonder how the Valierian tea tastes. Could I find that here on my side of the Atlantic?

BTW, Plaidman, I'm going to repeat what others have said here: if you're having trouble w/your meds, GET TO THE DOCTOR ASAP. Do not delay, or it can get worse and then you'll really be in a world of hurt.

And Ree's right on target, while we do care for our members, we're not professionals and we're not a support group. Be your OWN support group.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I find melatonin useful (chronic insomnia). Just watch the dosage. Usually, half of a 1mg tablet is about right for me. A whole tablet can leave me a bit foggy the next day, and the 3mg tablets are WAY too much! I have a tendency toward nightmares at high dosages, but that's probably just me.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Im fully expecting you to go *Duh!* over this one, but i didnt see it mentioned in your posts.
            You mentioned you drink a lot of soda, which has caffiene etc in it: Your doctor has told you about the standard "no drinking soda in the last two hours before you go to sleep" right? Also you wont sleep well if you go to sleep thirsty, so a pint of water/squash by the bed is good.

On the music front, Banco de Gaia is very relaxing to listen to when you want to go to sleep.
            "don't go to the neighbors,that's just what the fire expects you to do"-phillippbo
            "Please do not look into laser with remaining eyeball."
            Support bacteria.They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

If it's not too late, I might like to recommend melatonin. It usually works, but some people get nightmares from it.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                If it's not too late, I might like to recommend melatonin. It usually works, but some people get nightmares from it.
                So I'm not the only one who gets that side effect? I've found that dosage seems to have a lot to do with whether I'm going to have that problem. For me, reasonable dose=very vivid dreams, which I personally kind of like. Too high dose=nightmare.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Its been years since I last had a nightmare, so I might look into that, for the simple fact I liked nightmares. I don't drink soda before bed, I do drink alot of it though.
                  Military Spouse Support.
                  http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                  Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                    So I'm not the only one who gets that side effect? I've found that dosage seems to have a lot to do with whether I'm going to have that problem. For me, reasonable dose=very vivid dreams, which I personally kind of like. Too high dose=nightmare.
                    My sister has had nightmares. I would occasionally have the joyful experience of sleeping for a few hours, then waking up again for a while before falling back asleep. That, however, was after using it for a while. Now I don't use it at all, because I find the sounds of my fiance's snoring soothing while I fall asleep.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I bought some today, took two pills. (I have a high immune system, so it'll most likely not affect me at all) thanks for the advice. I hope it works
                      Military Spouse Support.
                      http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                      Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                        My sister has had nightmares. I would occasionally have the joyful experience of sleeping for a few hours, then waking up again for a while before falling back asleep. That, however, was after using it for a while. Now I don't use it at all, because I find the sounds of my fiance's snoring soothing while I fall asleep.
                        Actually, the melatonin never gave me nightmares. It was the hyper pills that gave me nightmares. The melatonin would lull me to sleep, etc. (same as Becks). I'd start out with 2 pills, then go to 4 pills, then 6 pills. Then I'd quit for a week or two and the start over.
                        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen
                          Seanette, are you taking the vegetarian ones or the ones made from cow brains?
                          Let me check (retrieves bottle from medicine cabinet). It's Natrol brand, claims to be 100% vegetarian (also does not have yeast, wheat, corn, milk, egg, soy, glutens, artificial colors/flavors, added sugar, starch, or preservatives). I think I've also used the TwinLabs version.

For me, the nightmare factor depends on dosage. I definitely have problems at 3mg, but I rarely even go as high as 1mg, because I don't like feeling draggy/foggy the next day (1/2 mg clears out of my system overnight quite nicely and does the basic job fine for me, so that's my usual dosage).

Hmmm, may need to buy more in the not-terribly-distant future.

Comment

plaid, there's other meds out there, and if they tell you to take more I'd suggest telling them where to stick the bottle and finding another doc. I've had problems with this of and on, but from what you've said it ounds like you're not giving your body a schedule to work with, it's not healthy, but if it's whatcha gotta do, then it's whatcha gotta do.
                            I've found a number of things work, depending on the person. TV, reading, crosswords/puzzles, benadryl, counting sheep, meditation, shot of table wine (don't use this often) among others.
                            definetly talk to your doc, dependence isn't any less of an issue than addiction, some doctors and psychiatrists beleive that pills solve everything, so you might want to ask specifically about non-perscription alternatives.
                            "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Working...
                            X