X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And now for some awesome Sailor Moon-related news

Apparently, the anime is having a full-blown remake

This excites me for several reasons.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Has it really been 20 years? I feel old...

Comment

Fingers crossed that whoever picks it up for the dub version will actually get it right and not cut out SO MUCH crap like the last dub "attempt" (I mean that loosely). Funimation seems to be pretty on par in terms of dubbing just about every televised anime that hits English-speaking shores. (And a few non-televised ones)

For the unfamiliar, here's a little sub vs. dub website:

www.smuncensored.com (does not have Sailor Moon R, but it has the entire original series, sailor moon S and SuperS)

ETA: There's a rumour going around that THIS song is going to be the opening song.
      Last edited by fireheart; 07-07-2012, 04:28 AM.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        There's a rumour going around that THIS song is going to be the opening song.
        Yeah, I keep hearing about that too. However, the other thing I keep hearing is that the group is just going to do a cover of Moonlight Densetsu and probably a few others.

And, as far as the English dub, I'm hoping that, since the remake is apparently going to be geared toward older fans of the series, either Funimation or Viz Media got (since it's probably been decided considering that the release of the anime is going to be worldwide) the rights.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
          And, as far as the English dub, I'm hoping that, since the remake is apparently going to be geared toward older fans of the series, either Funimation or Viz Media got (since it's probably been decided considering that the release of the anime is going to be worldwide) the rights.
          Part of me is hoping Funimation.

I currently own both series of Negima, which WERE dubbed by Funimation. They are both full of win in terms of dialogue conversion from Japanese to English (sort of like Del Ray/whoever the heck translates the manga here), with the only modifications referring to things that people wouldn't understand, the joke/pun not working in English (or the reverse in a couple of cases) or similar.

Comment

I have a friend that works for Funimation's translating team. She goes to Japan every year to visit her grandmother so yeah they're pretty fluent with their Japanese translations.

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
              I have a friend that works for Funimation's translating team. She goes to Japan every year to visit her grandmother so yeah they're pretty fluent with their Japanese translations.
              True. Of course, with any change from subbed to dubbed, you're going to get SOME differences.

Although since we're on the subject of dubs, I remember when they had the original Sailor Moon, with Luna sounding like Mary Poppins.

When Negima was dubbed into English, there was a huge outcry at how Negi had received the same treatment. Note, the character is a 10-year-old boy. Note, the character is also ACTUALLY British. His VA is in his 40's (Greg Ayres). So in all honesty, not only do Funimation get their translations right, they're also pretty good with the voices too: Negi sounded like a prepubescent squeaky young British boy (they did a couple of voices off when compared from manga -> anime, but then again, said characters didn't have a huge backstory)

Comment

I got the full uncut series in Japanesse with English subtitles of of eBay for $200 a couple years ago, and I have both volumes of codename Sailor V, and 1-6 of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon today from Barnes & Noble. I also have a Sailor Moon plushie that I got from a claw machine 6 years ago. This news makes me happy.
                ......../\
                ....../__\
                ..../\...../\
                ../__\../__\

Comment

Working...
                X