Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bakery closes suddenly, leaves dozens without wedding cakes...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bakery closes suddenly, leaves dozens without wedding cakes...

WOW...

And the sad part is, an employee (or, now, former employee) is the one who called all the brides, because it was "the right thing to do".

Kudos to her for doing the right thing, but WOW...

http://www.guidelive.com/food-and-dr...-wedding-cakes

From the article:
    "The bride and groom are still out some dough in the deal, but it's better than nothing: "Celebrity Café and Bakery wants to help these couples by honoring 50 percent (up to $250) of lost deposits from Romano's toward a wedding cake from Celebrity."
    So it appears other bakeries are stepping up.
    Last edited by mjr; 04-16-2015, 02:34 PM.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

"He took a payment from a bride for $700" less than a week before shutting down. Bad form, Sir, bad form.

I'm glad the employee shown was able to somehow at least get a list of people to call.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We had something similar happen here, but it was wedding dresses. If I remember correctly, the shop owner served time for her actions involved.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        "He took a payment from a bride for $700" less than a week before shutting down. Bad form, Sir, bad form.

I'm glad the employee shown was able to somehow at least get a list of people to call.
        bad form? try fraud. no way he didn't know he was shutting down at this point.
        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I was being sub-tull
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
            bad form? try fraud. no way he didn't know he was shutting down at this point.
            Unless an arrest or government seizure was involved.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Gah!!!! I'm getting married in 5 days. Don't scare me like that!!!!

"We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                Unless an arrest or government seizure was involved.
                Or the health inspector came and it was just that horrible. It's rare but it happens, usually they give the business an amount of time (usually a week or two) to fix things before they're actually closed down.
                The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                  Or the health inspector came and it was just that horrible...
                  The "olives" in the cake? Rat Scat.
                  Last edited by dalesys; 04-20-2015, 07:56 PM.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                    Or the health inspector came and it was just that horrible. It's rare but it happens, usually they give the business an amount of time (usually a week or two) to fix things before they're actually closed down.
                    The Chinese buffet place across the parking lot from the swamp was shut down some time ago. That place was NASTY.

Work is now being done to the building and the parking lot surrounding it. Don't know who's moving in; I've heard the other Chinese buffet place in town is moving there because it's a better location than they have now. But I've heard from others that the building is in such bad shape, the health inspector won't let it be used as a restaurant again.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      But I've heard from others that the building is in such bad shape, the health inspector won't let it be used as a restaurant again.
                      There's a local restaurant that closed recently that's like that. It was so old most health codes didn't apply, and despite breaking nearly all of them, they were only closed down a few months ago. The place is a consignment shop now.
                      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                        We had something similar happen here, but it was wedding dresses. If I remember correctly, the shop owner served time for her actions involved.
                        Something similar happened last year, with wedding dresses. In this case it sounds like the business was already on the rocks and going down fast when it closed up.

For months after, there were still dresses hanging up inside. (It's a few doors down from my local comic shop so I went by it regularly). In recent months they stripped the store, and now I believe there are renos going on inside for a new business.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                          no way he didn't know he was shutting down at this point.
                          If he tried to sell the place more than once, that would suggest that the owner was leaving the biz one way or another.
                          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                          X