This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Ara has her first cold.

Little Ara has a cold. She's handling it well, she just has a stuffy/runny nose and slight fever, and she's not much clingier than normal. I, however, caught her cold, and I feel like crap. Sore throat, nose stuffed so I have to breathe through my mouth, which hurts my jaw (previous issues with the muscles, long story), and I just feel gross. I can't take any cold medicine because it might affect her, and I can't stand lemon tea. Any parents here have tips or tricks to make taking care of Little Ara easier while I try to recuperate, or maybe tips to help me feel better so I have the energy to take care of her?
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

How old is she? Since you can't take medicine I assume she's still nursing. Sometimes drinking anything hot, not just tea but even hot water, can help make a sore throat better. If you're congested, hang out in the bathroom with the shower on. And rest. You don't have to be Supermom right now. Let her play by herself or watch TV or whatever.

My second son was a preemie, and when he came home from the NICU after an endless month my older son, who is in kindergarten, promptly came home with a cold, which we all got. We all wore face masks and confined the baby to one room, since we were frantic to keep him healthy, and scrubbed our hands raw. It's all you can do, and even then you still catch it sometimes.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

She's about to be 11 months, so I'm surprised this is her first cold. She's handling it well, which surprises me too. Right now she's sitting on the floor with a light-up toy she recently rediscovered and a handful of Cheerios.

I was hoping that I'd be able to keep myself from getting sick, but because of her runny nose, there was snot (my least favorite bodily fluid) on EVERYTHING. No matter how much I used that little bulb-sucker thing. Now I'm trying to keep hubs from catching it, so at least someone will have the energy to do things like make dinner.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

I know this is going to sound strange, but as AnaKhouri said drink hot water, but try putting some honey in it. This will help give you an energy boost, plus honey has antiseptic properties and so might help kill off any germs in the back of your throat. If there's a citrus fruit you do like (lime? Orange?) try mixing it with the hot water and honey so that the flavour isn't as overpoweringly sweet. It will also help top up your vitamins, which never hurts.

Otherwise all I can suggest is try to nap as much as possible to keep your energy levels up. Outside of urgent stuff (washing clothes and dishes) leave the hoovering, dusting, etc. until you have enough energy to do it without compromising your ability to care for you daughter and yourself. It's not the end of the world if it doesn't get done.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

When my guy was little and got colds he would seem to be fine all day, and as soon as I lay him down for a sleep he couldn't breath and got very fussy. Baby recliners and child size recliners are a godsend! He could be in the sitting/laying position of the recliner, so he could breath but I wouldn't have to worry about him falling like if he was sitting, and I could lay on the couch beside him so we could both get lots of sleep.

I don't know about you but I always feel like I can't handle anything if I'm not sleeping, but if I have enough sleep even the worst crisis I can get through.

I'd also throw a tiny bit of eucalyptus or mint oil in the humidifier and it seemed like it would help us breath. I have no idea if it actually did anything, or it just made me feel like it did, but either way, it made me feel a little better.
          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a bit better today, my sinuses are draining though so it's making it hard to speak. I'll try the orange water and eucalyptus oil, those are things we actually have around here, strangely. Little Ara isn't having problems sleeping, in fact, she's sleeping more than usual, so I'm getting some good rest.

I normally wouldn't ask for help about this but I've never been sick with a kid who was sick too, and being sick is one of the things I hate the most. So thanks guys.

Comment

Humidifier with eucalyptus oil is a must! My pediatrician recommended a saline nasal spray for my 2 year old when he was one to keep the mucus moving and an infant's pain reliever to keep the sinus inflammation under control.

For you, same pain reliever and lots of hot liquids, as well as a sinus spray. Mint and honey whenever possible. I prefer mint candies to cough drops, so... I stock up on candy canes to swirl in my tea when I'm sick.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I actually can't have peppermint, mild allergy to it sadly. It really doesn't help now that this cold has started giving me stomach issues, I've been trying ginger ale (tastes weird with eucalyptus oil in the air though). I have plenty of the saline spray, I actually stocked up when I was pregnant and came down with the worst cold I have ever experienced. Right now it's about finding the energy to keep up with a rambunctious, runny-nosed baby.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                  ... keep up with a rambunctious, runny-nosed baby.
                  Glazed Donut Monster!
                  [/Cosby]
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who offered tips, I just got over this cold completely yesterday, and little Ara a couple days before that (my sinuses like to take their sweet time to clear out). The eucalyptus oil in the humidifier helped her sleep (since she's sleeping through the night though, I took the opportunity to take some Nyquil). We're both feeling much better now.

Comment

Working...
                    X