Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Behind the Counter: Adventures in Dispensing. Episode II.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shalom View Post
    So if you want me to dispense that, why don't you prescribe it? Part II
    Yeah, been there, done that. I'm always having to call docs to clarify orders: usually they'll forget to write either the strength or the frequency, sometimes the route.

Then they get pissy when you call them at 2am for the clarification. Well, it's not my fault you screwed up the order, doc. If you'd written it right the first time I wouldn't be calling you, I'd be giving the med.

Computer Online Physician Entry (COPE) is anything but. When we were trained on it last year, we were emphatically told that when the system went live, no more verbal orders. The docs had to put the orders in.

Except they aren't and are downright pissy about it.

Quoth Headset Hellion View Post
    Wouldn't that be great, though? One dose of Benadryl basically incapacitates me. If I can stay awake, I'm all but drooling on myself.
    No, that wouldn't be great. I use that to get to sleep at night when I've got a bout of insomnia.

Quoth wolfie View Post
    I'm not in the medical field, but from what I've read it's relatively common for children to have opposite effects from what happens when adults take the same medication. You've probably heard about kids with ADHD being given Ritalin to calm them down. IIRC (been a while since I saw the article), the generic name for Ritalin is "mixed amphetamine salts". Amphetamines are not normally considered to be tranquilzers.
    Well, actually the Ritalin is working as expected. It stimulates a part of the brain that is working slow as much as slowing down parts of the brain working to fast to help the kid function more "normally."

However, it is not uncommon to see kids get wound up on Benadryl.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I don't get drowsy from Benadryl, but it might be because I have a slight allergy to pollen + the pills (OTC version) may not be as strong over here as in other countries. It just stops the snifflin', that's all.

Ibuprofen, on the other hand...
      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
        Something over 625,000 pages have gone through this printer since it left the factory. I wonder how much longer it's going to last.
        Probably quite a while; if it ain't broke yet....

Quoth Shalom View Post
        "non-drowsy Benadryl".
        MY own 'mixed-reaction' is that Nyquil and its ilk work as expected - the first night. Night number two it wires me like a crack head.

Comment

I can take on Benadryl and be okay. It really seems to be the only thing that works for me. I tried the Allegra when it first was sold over the counter and it made me all fuzzy headed and sleepy. And it didn't work on top off all that.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

All I have to do is look at Benadryl and fall asleep. Anything from the generic version all the way down to children's doses, I'll be asleep within fifteen to twenty minutes. I think the only thing I CAN take that won't me sleepy is Tylenol.
            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
              Someone came over to the counter and asked for "non-drowsy Benadryl".

Yeah, good luck finding that.
              Probably a case of someone using a brand name to include any type of similar product. Much like the way people around here say "gimme a Coke" and could just as easily be referring to Dr. Pepper or Pepsi or any other carbonated beverage that isn't necessarily Coca-Cola. They were probably just wanting a non-drowsy antihistamine, and call ALL antihistamines Benadryl, in which case point them towards Claritin.

(Yes, I know people that get knocked out by Claritin, but the fact remains it is advertised as "non-drowsy".)

Comment

I used to just get sleepy with Benadryl, now I get loopy when I take it. Like my head is foggy but my body isn't.

Thanks for the Claritin tip.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                X