This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein a cashier is threatened with death

The law in my state says that you can't purchase alcohol between 2 am and 7 am. A third shift cashier at my store told me what happened to her the other day. A guy tried to buy alcohol just after 2 am. He *just* missed the cutoff. She tells him she can't sell due to state law. He demands she override it. She tells him the register will not allow it. He then *screams* "I JUST WANT TO STRANGLE YOUR PRETTY LITTLE NECK!!!"

She told me she was sure he was going to physically attack her, he looked completely deranged. The store was pretty empty but he noticed a nearby employee and then gave a creepy smile and goes, "sorry." He finally accepted that she didn't have any control over state law and left.

I'm always amazed at how many people think that BEING VIOLENT is the perfect precursor for being SERVED ALCOHOL and are FLABBERGAST that no one else agrees.

Some bad ideas are just self-evident

That's like giving a crowbar to an angry gorilla

My brother lasted only one week once at a convenience store job, and quit after a similar incident, a drunk person came in late at night and threatened him when he wouldn't sell him alcohol. The kicker. We're PENNSYLVANIA, we are legally prohibited from selling alcohol in convenience stores, the drunk guy was THREATENING to kill my bro over something he couldn't get because the store CANNOT STOCK IT BY LAW.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I always hate to hear stories like that, especially since nothing is really done about those seemingly violent patrons.

Even if it's a situation as done in Twelve Angry Men where just yelling at someone doesn't mean that you're going to do it. But hell, if I recall right, it should still technically be enough to constitute at least a call to the police and maybe drag him in on assault if the cashier was actually afraid that she would be hurt. At least that's what I recall from teacher and textbook describing that particular criminal tort in my law classes as well as a couple questions I asked police officers when I needed clarification on the difference between being threatened and being struck, then again IANAL, just an accountant, and don't actually know how great the officers are in your area.

At least the fellow seemed to leave without any further confrontation, but I'll still just cross my fingers for her and hope that the guy doesn't return.
      Last edited by Ternasthebard; 12-14-2014, 05:13 AM.

Comment

It varies by state, but yes, in general, making a verbal threat is considered "Assault" in most places (Battery = actually hitting someone; Aggravated = doing so with an object of any kind)
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Ternasthebard View Post
          I always hate to hear stories like that, especially since nothing is really done about those seemingly violent patrons.
          Agreed, management needs to press charges to the max against SC's like this, not to mention a lifetime ban!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
            Agreed, management needs to press charges to the max against SC's like this, not to mention a lifetime ban!
            I'd be surprised if management would actually do something like that. All too often, they're more concerned about keeping customers, and will bend over and kiss their ass. You know, the customer is always right
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
              I'd be surprised if management would actually do something like that. All too often, they're more concerned about keeping customers, and will bend over and kiss their ass. You know, the customer is always right
              Usually, yes, especially when it comes to the safety of expendable employees (you know, fellow human beings). But when it comes to breaking the law and losing their liquor license (and a good chunk of their earnings), all of a sudden, management grows a spine and stands firm! Wowee!
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                Quoth XCashier View Post
                Usually, yes, especially when it comes to the safety of expendable employees (you know, fellow human beings). But when it comes to breaking the law and losing their liquor license (and a good chunk of their earnings), all of a sudden, management grows a spine and stands firm! Wowee!
                I know, I've been here WAY too long to believe that. But you would like to think management would want to protect their employees and get rid of troublesome "customers" like this.

But of course not, employees are a dime a dozen. Whereas a customer, even one like this, is gold.

What a world, what a world...

Comment

It's one of those instances when the person making threats will argue 'It's freedom of speech, I can say what I want!' Well, yes, but there are consequences for that.
                  "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                    It's one of those instances when the person making threats will argue 'It's freedom of speech, I can say what I want!' Well, yes, but there are consequences for that.
                    But then again NOW the US Supream Court is deciding a case of Facebook threats and how that "is being touted as Free Speech"
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                      The problem is it's notoriously difficult to prosecute people who put on a big show like that. By the time the police show up, the offender has usually left the premises, and even if they are later caught, many times management doesn't want to deal with the hassle of filing a complaint, providing security footage, etc. unless there's actually violence. And let's not forget the hassle of allowing the employee the necessary time off to show up and testify.

Even if the store goes through all the rigamarole, the offender's lawyer (even a public defender) will drag the case out with numerous continuances, delays, etc., in the hopes that the store will simply give up. In the meantime, the offender is usually out on bail.

Verbal assault is often treated as a misdemeanor offense, so even if it does go before a jury, the penalty is usually pretty light. If the defendant spent more than a day or two in jail waiting for bail or arraignment, the sentence will probably be 'time served', maybe a fine.

TLDR; It's a colossal pain in the ass to actually do anything about it.
                      Last edited by CyberLurch; 12-14-2014, 07:23 PM. Reason: puncutation fix

Comment

An annoying trend lately is for spoken words to be disregarded. And if a person reacts, they are mocked. It's implied that any reaction is an overreaction.
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                          An annoying trend lately is for spoken words to be disregarded. And if a person reacts, they are mocked. It's implied that any reaction is an overreaction.
                          So much this.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

In my state, alcohol sales in stores are forbidden from 11pm-8am. I used to work in a store that closed at 9pm. Many an over-educated/under-intelligent carbon based life form, explained to me--usually using a loud voice (and occasionally slurred speech)--that the store was breaking the law. UHNO--we stop selling when the store closes funny how that happens. A store closes and sales stop...a revolutionary concept.

Over my time in retail, I have been threatened with death, being driven off the road, not making it home to my family, having my tires slashed and my brake lines cut because I refused to sell a pack of 'Newport hunnerds and a nilla dutch' to a yahoo with out ID...I can only imagine the consequence for failing to sell a 6 pack of Shiner Bock, Sam Adams, or Twisted Tea.

Comment

It's a sad state society is in when you can't even do your job and follow the law without risking some lunatic trying to kill you.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X