Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mum of the Year Award Goes To... (Long, Stupidly Stupidly Long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mum of the Year Award Goes To... (Long, Stupidly Stupidly Long)

Background: I see some pretty crappy parents. I used to be a teachers aide (working with learning disabilities as well as mental and physical disabilities), but got out of the job because of the atrocious pay, and the fact that public schools in my state have a habit of hiring stay at home mums to come in and do a job they were horribly under prepared for, unqualified for, and often half-assed. I'd see parents refuse to get their child tested for learning disabilities (or get help for their kids with actual diagnosed behavioral/mental/learning disorders) because 'RAARGH HOW DARE YOU THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH MY CHILD HE IS A PERFECT DARLING GENIUS! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! YOU'RE NOT A PARENT YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!"

Still hate the last two sentences there, because hey, just because I don't have my own kids doesn't make me a brainless idiot when it comes to interacting with them, not to mention the years of training I had to go through to do so professionally.
    I still interact with them in retail now! I haven't even broken one yet!

Every year, I used to mentally make a "Parent of the Year" award for people who were just astoundingly bad at the whole "not being a raging douche-canoe to their own kids" thing. I expected I'd have to stop while working retail due to less material.

I was wrong. So very wrong. Without fail, Latekin's Mother of the Year Award goes to:
    Badmum. Badmum looks like a maybe 30yr old socialite type of lady. Expensive everything, from haircut to heels. (Incidentally, these seem like a bad shoe choice in a hardware store...6inch heels and sawdust=sprained ankle. We have signs about it and all.) She's really aloof, sneers at a lot of the other customers and TM's and generally gives off less than a sterling impression of herself.

The story, featuring:
    Badmum: SC
    Latekin: ME
    Oldest Kid (10yr old boy): KID1
    Middle Kid (6yr old boy): KID2
    Youngest Kid (4yr old girl): KID3

KID2 is sitting with KID3 on the bottom of one of our carts as mum is shopping. Ever since he and KID3 got out of the playground, he's been crying and trying to tell SC something about his feet as she puts on his shoes. KID3 has, when opportunity presented itself, been pulling KID2's hair and biting his arm. KID1 just looks vaguely bewildered and tired. I see this all as I'm walking past the playground to come back from break.
    KID1: "Mum, KID2's upset."
    SC: "He's always upset about something."
    KID2: *Gets bitten again, kicks sister.*
    SC: "Leave your sister alone! At least she knows how to behave!"

KID2 gets bitten, HARD on the face by KID3 (SC had stopped paying attention because she'd seen our clearance shelves), and promptly starts screaming and crying and kicking his feet all over the place. SC takes KID3 off the trolley and carries her, and does absolutely nothing about her actual distressed kid. She just blithely pushes the trolley around store. As I get back to monitoring self sever, I hear them migrating around store, able to locate the department they're in due to the unholy level of screaming KID2 is doing in said department.

About an hour and a half later, the brood turns up at self serve. KID2 is still wailing like a banshee that stepped on a lego, KID1 is looking distressed and KID3 is smacking KID2 in the face as SC starts doing her scanning in.

KID1: "Mum, KID3 is slapping KID2."
    SC: *sounding bored* "All of you stop acting like a bunch of children." *Goes back to scanning in shopping.*
    KID2 and KID2: *Not stopping.*
    Me: *In best teachers aide 'not having anymore of this nonsense' voice* "If you two don't cut out this absolutely silly behavior, neither of you, and I mean it, will get a balloon and KID1 will."
    KID2: *Stops wailing and looks shocked.*
    KID3: *Sits down like she's been stunned.*
    SC: *Glares daggers at me like I just threatened their very lives.*
    KID2: "My feet hurt..."

Yup, that's literally what started the crying. His feet hurt, and no wonder..
    SC: "Well for gods sake, you put your shoes on the wrong feet! KID1, fix it for him, since he's apparently incapable of doing anything himself."
    KID1: *Looks at me in confusion.*
    Me: *Helps KID1 fix KID2's shoe issue.*
    KID2: *Is happy now, all three kids get a balloon.*
    KID3: *Still looking stunned sitting on trolley.*

Now, at this point I'm kinda irritated, since the lady had put the shoes on her kid herself, and is now blaming him when she screwed it up. She's also expected KID1 to fix her mess, despite the fact he's apparently got left/right issues with his shoes himself. He'd never bothered putting them back on after the playground and he can't tell which one of his brothers shoes go on which foot. Also, goddamn it lady, your kid has been yelling about his feet for over an hour, you couldn't spare goddamn five minutes to check what the issue was?

SC: *Finishes purchasing and looks at me like I just suggested she partake in a very specific sex act with a barnyard animal.*
    "You there!"
    Me: "Yes?"
    SC: "Don't you dare try to parent my kids! You're a judgmental little bitch and I don't need your attitude! You don't know what you're doing because you're not a parent and you wouldn't understand!"
    SC: *To KID1 to 3* "And you lot! I should have dumped you in your fathers custody when I had the chance, you're ruining my fucking life!"

After that lovely little bombshell, SC flounces off with her shopping, and KID1 and KID2...but leaves KID3 sitting stunned on the trolley. Doesn't take long before KID3 has recovered from actually being told off, and she begins wandering around the store. At some point she bites some other customers kid and gets a telling off by that kids annoyed dad. Consoles herself by tearing apart our Christmas lights display. No damage, but crap everywhere.
    SC comes back ten minutes later. She'd been loading her shopping in the car and didn't notice she was down one kid until she'd gone to put the kids in the car (the shopping was more important and therefor had to be loaded in first). She gets KID3, but has left KID1 and KID2 running around the carpark! The parking lot, which by the way is on the intersection of a highway and a main road! We know they weren't in the car, because several customers came in really upset that they'd nearly turned two little boys into road pizza. SC does not give a single shit as she piles her kids in her Jeep and drives away.

Mother of the goddamn year.
    Last edited by EricKei; 12-14-2014, 09:03 AM. Reason: edited a term used to refer to children
    Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Quoth Latekin View Post
    "And you lot! I should have dumped you in your fathers custody when I had the chance, you're ruining my fucking life!"
    Yes, yes she probably should have. Goodness only knows what sort of person he might be but I hope he would have been at least an actual parent rather than that egg donor that they ended up with.

If it were the US I would have suspected she mostly got them for the exemptions and child credits on her taxes, but as you're in Australia, I don't know enough about the laws over there to even want to start to speculate.

Comment

Those poor kids..

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
        public schools in my state have a habit of hiring stay at home mums to come in and do a job they were horribly under prepared for, unqualified for, and often half-assed. I'd see parents refuse to get their child tested for learning disabilities (or get help for their kids with actual diagnosed behavioral/mental/learning disorders) because 'RAARGH HOW DARE YOU THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH MY CHILD HE IS A PERFECT DARLING GENIUS! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! YOU'RE NOT A PARENT YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!"

Still hate the last two sentences there, because hey, just because I don't have my own kids doesn't make me a brainless idiot when it comes to interacting with them, not to mention the years of training I had to go through to do so professionally.
        It's a similar case with support officers in my home state and my current state (off the top of my head). Quite a number of schools are lacking a special needs teacher so they'll use the support officers to teach various skills with the kiddies. It's annoying at best and dangerous at worst.

For special units*, they'll get actual trained people in, but for mainstreamers, they get screwed.

As for the lack of testing/help thing, I have a mother at the moment who appears to be getting her kid help, but we have not seen what kind of help that "is." Her kidlet has ADHD and while he's getting better, he still struggles. >.> (I think her "help" is almost entirely diet related: ditch the gluten and suddenly he's better)
        We also have another kid with autism: his mother (in particular) has NOT given us anything that could y'know, help us. Then she complains that the program is not inclusive of her child. -.-
        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I feel so sorry for those kids, either they grow up to be horrible people or they don't grow up at all when mommy dearest's neglect gets them killed...

A call to CPS might be in order, but as you have no info on her that seems pointless.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
            We also have another kid with autism: his mother (in particular) has NOT given us anything that could y'know, help us. Then she complains that the program is not inclusive of her child. -.-
            Urgh, I grew up as an ADHD kid, and it never went away. Dietary changes can help, but they're not a cure, by any means. You know what does? Scheduled home lives, understanding parents, and at times, medication. I've been on the meds. Yes, the side affects can suck. The sudden energy crash at the end of the day can suuuuuck. But it doesn't turn you into a zombie or addle your brains. I should know. I've been there and done that, and you know what? I'm freaking worse now because my folks caught a hint of the anti-meds scare going around and took me off them. Grades dropped, behavior shifted into disruptive and distracted mode, and never got back. These days I'm being put back on them.

Sorry, ADHD is a subject I'm pretty damn hyped up on, since it's literally been my life.

/endrant
            Last edited by MadMike; 12-14-2014, 03:08 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post
            Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
              ..... SC: "Don't you dare try to parent my kids! You're a judgmental little bitch and I don't need your attitude! You don't know what you're doing because you're not a parent and you wouldn't understand!" SC: *To KID1 to 3* "And you lot! I should have dumped you in your fathers custody when I had the chance, you're ruining my fucking life!" ...
              First, how does she know your not a parent? And as you said, people don't have to be a parent to get the understanding. I will become a parent soon, but I already understand that the kids need direction and help, well because they aren't born with it. Good for you in helping the situation.

Comment

I'm gonna say that it's because although I'm 25 next month, I still look like a high school student. To the point cops in the city have asked to see my I.D. while shopping during the week. My parents have gotten calls about it!

Thanks though. I tend to accidentally fall into teaching mode around kids a lot. Most parents don't mind, but some have...issues.

Comment

Quoth ringo View Post
                  First, how does she know your not a parent?
                  I saw this same assumption at Wal-Mart a few years back. A couple of kids had taken some balls out of the rack and were bouncing them in the store. One of the ladies who worked there politely asked them not to bounce the balls on the store. At that point, the mother, who was nowhere to be found a moment ago, appeared out of nowhere and gave her attitude about it. She told the employee in a snarky tone, "I can see YOU don't have any kids!" Without missing a beat, the employee told her, "Yes, I do have kids. And they don't act like that."
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    I saw this same assumption at Wal-Mart a few years back. A couple of kids had taken some balls out of the rack and were bouncing them in the store. One of the ladies who worked there politely asked them not to bounce the balls on the store. At that point, the mother, who was nowhere to be found a moment ago, appeared out of nowhere and gave her attitude about it. She told the employee in a snarky tone, "I can see YOU don't have any kids!" Without missing a beat, the employee told her, "Yes, I do have kids. And they don't act like that."
                    Lady got owned. Also, pretty sure crappy parents have short distance teleporters. They only activate when their kids are being told off by another adult.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                      She told the employee in a snarky tone, "I can see YOU don't have any kids!" Without missing a beat, the employee told her, "Yes, I do have kids. And they don't act like that."
                      That happened to me, too. At the old Fabric Store, there was a display of glass baubles near the register, and one little boy was determined to smash them all while his mother ignored him. I finally had to tell him, "Those are glass, and they will break. Please leave them alone."

Mother said in a very I'm-better-than-you tone, "Obviously you've never had children!"

I replied, "Yes, I have, and I never allowed him to mess around with breakable items!"

She just gave me CBF, finished the transaction, grabbed the kid and stormed out. People really don't like being called out on their BS, but it sure feels good to do so!
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Latekin View Post
                        But it doesn't turn you into a zombie or addle your brains. I should know.

/endrant
                        I am going to have to disagree here...ASSUMING we're talking about ADHD medication on the zombie part. They absolutely can, and I also speak from experience on that subject.

Now, I will grant that my experience was back when both ADHD and the treatments of it weren't well understood, so I might have been given more than I actually needed, but that's all I'm going to say about it here.

As for the so called "Parent"...

I have no words. I feel so bad for those kids, especially Kid1 since it's obvious he's been the one the actual parenting has been delegated to...

Comment

That parent? Couldn't you get some identification information from her (did she pay by card? Does her car have a license plate?) and report her to the local version of Child Protective Services? To neglect a child who's in obvious pain for an hour due to your mistake, then tell your other kid to fix it? Isn't that some form of child abuse?
                          I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

They only activate when their kids are being told off by another adult.
                            Oh god, ain't it the truth! Seen it multiple times over the years when neighborhood kids are screaming bloody murder for an hour. Finally one of us will yell "SHUT UP!" out the window and suddenly we hear an adult telling the kids to be quiet. Some parents develop selective deafness, I guess.

As for the OP: Didja notice where she told them to "stop acting like a bunch of children"? Uh, lady, a bunch of children is exactly what they are! Can anyone really be THAT stupid? Wow.
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Ternasthebard View Post
                              Yes, yes she probably should have. Goodness only knows what sort of person he might be but I hope he would have been at least an actual parent rather than that egg donor that they ended up with.

If it were the US I would have suspected she mostly got them for the exemptions and child credits on her taxes, but as you're in Australia, I don't know enough about the laws over there to even want to start to speculate.
                              Or she got them for the child support. Or just to piss off the dad.

Definitely cops/CPS needed to be called on this bitch for leaving her kids unsupervised in the store and parking lot.

As for the "you obviously never had children" my response to that is, "What the fuck does that have to do with your piss poor parenting?"
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X