This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Lesson on Permits

Okay everyone gather round', we're going to have a little experiment today that teaches us all a very important lesson.

Jimmy? Timmy? Front and center gentlemen, ah, good. Now, you each brought those $5 bills from home like I told you to? Splendid, let me have them.

What's that? Why of COURSE your Mother said you could take it from her purse without asking Timmy! I checked with her first, honest.

Now then, Jimmy, I'm going to take this yellow index card, and I'm going to write down the serial number of your bill on it, plus it's denomination, and do my best to quickly draw Abraham Lincoln's portrait right here in the middle.... uh... uhm..... well, that KINDA looks like him, I suppose.... after he was embalmed, a few times.

Okaayyy, lets not dwell on my lack of artistic merit, here's the real purpose. Jimmy, I want you to go down to the corner store and get me a diet pepsi with that card. If the clerk gives you any grief, I want you to patiently explain to him that your card has all the information on it that the REAL $5 bill did, proving you obviously HAD one, so there's no reason he can't accept your replacement one on good faith since you lost the original. Now, scurry along! We can't be waiting all day ya know? There goes a good kid.....

Now, Timmy, here's a picture I took of your $5 bill and printed it out, and it's in COLOR too, neat huh? Now, I want you to go down to the OTHER corner store and get me one of their delectable grey-meat-on-stale-brick sandwiches. I was using the last one I got from there as a doorstop, and it seems the rats have finally gnawed it to the point of ineffectiveness. And, like you hopefully heard me counsel Jimmy, if the clerk refuses to accept your photo as legal tender, tell him that obviously, you HAD a $5 bill, you just left it at home by accident and won't be returning there for another week, so in the meantime, this will just have to do. I mean where does he think the picture came from? He'll just have to live with that until you can get him the real one next week. Got it? Good.

Now, while those two adorable scamps are off to do my bidding, I'd like to draw a parallel.

The same rules they're no doubt about to run afoul of also apply to parking permits.

Pieces of paper with the permit number written on it DO NOT count as a permit.

Printed photographs or photocopies of a real permit placed on the dash DO NOT count as a permit.

Notes explaining why you THINK those would count, DO NOT count as a permit.

No REAL 100% TRUST ONLY GENUINE GLOBAL DOMINATION REALITY QUALITY PARTS permit? NO PARKING.

And it's not like this should mystify you, it's in you rental contracts that only the actual permit they give you counts, and what to do if you should lose/damage/destroy yours. Some realators replace it at no fee, some will replace it at half fee, and some will force you to just buy another as if you never had one, but them's the breaks. You cannot just do what people around here have been doing lately and just writing their info down on plain pieces of paper, or taking it's picture and then swapping cars.

If you've lost/misplaced yours, or, forgot it somewhere, or your car is in the shop/was sold, and you forgot to remove it (or it can't be removed like a window sticker) then you need to get in touch with the office and make arrangements to replace it BEFORE you just go ahead and park it with you "home cooking" version because that will only get you towed, and you WILL be charged the full $130 to get the car back, and no whining about how you "had a permit".

Now then, we just .... oh.... hang on.... my phone is ringing

Hello?

Whom?

The Police? You say you've arrested a kid named Jimmy? Uh, No, I've never heard of him.

You say he tried to use fake money to buy a soda and that he says I put him up to it? Uh... well officer, he he heh, you know kids these days, always telling those wacky stories. Yesterday it was they saw bigfoot, and today they saw a UFO and tomorrow, who knows? They'll be claiming I told them to knock over Fort Knox or something.... whoever he is, he should cut down on the TV and the sugar if he knows what's good for him... heh heh, uh, have a nice day. *click*

Well, that was awkward, but, not as awkward as that call I'll be making to Jimmy's parents, later..... much later.... like when he's in college, later. Oh look! Here comes Timmy!

So, Timmy how did it go? What's this? A mystery meat sandwich? How'd you get that? They TOOK the picture as payment? Said it was fair trade for the best laugh they'd had in ages? What's this? A picture of two bucks and a quarter? You say they gave that to you as "your change"?

Timmy, I'm VERY disappointed in you. You've ruined my ENTIRE lecture with your shenanigans. You are GROUNDED mister.

You say I can't ground you because I'm not your Mom? Oh don't worry Timmy, as soon as I call her and ask her to see if any money is missing from her purse, you are SO going to get grounded.

That's it, I quit, teaching just ain't for me.
    Last edited by Argabarga; 12-15-2014, 05:24 PM.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Remind me to never allow you to babysit. If I had kids that i-...
    Errr...
    Nevermind.
    Your posts never disappoint. I love how they try to cheat and then try to make you the bad guy.
    "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

I wish this board had an option to automatically subscribe to threads a given poster starts, so I could be sure I'm not going to miss any of the entertainment.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
        I wish this board had an option to automatically subscribe to threads a given poster starts, so I could be sure I'm not going to miss any of the entertainment.
        Look at the top of the page, towards the right. Click on "Thread Tools" then click on "Subscribe to this thread."

Or click on Argabarga's name, then click on "Find all posts by Argabarga."
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I know how to manually subscribe to a thread. What I would love is a setting in CP that would basically be the opposite of "ignore poster". Something like "when poster X starts a new thread, automatically subscribe me to that thread".
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
            I know how to manually subscribe to a thread. What I would love is a setting in CP that would basically be the opposite of "ignore poster". Something like "when poster X starts a new thread, automatically subscribe me to that thread".
            That occurred to me after I posted, so I added the second sentence.

Comment

I was still hoping for a more automated approach.

Comment

Poor Timmy. He did exactly as he was told.
                I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                  Poor Timmy. He did exactly as he was told.
                  Lassie! Save Timmy!
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                    I was still hoping for a more automated approach.
                    Post a request in the "Bugs and questions, and also site suggestions" area.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                      Lassie! Save Timmy!
                      Lassie clearly should have left Timmy in the well to receive his well deserved Darwin Award.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        Pieces of paper with the permit number written on it DO NOT count as a permit.

Printed photographs or photocopies of a real permit placed on the dash DO NOT count as a permit.

Notes explaining why you THINK those would count, DO NOT count as a permit.

No REAL 100% TRUST ONLY GENUINE GLOBAL DOMINATION REALITY QUALITY PARTS permit? NO PARKING.
                        But what if I really really want them to be? What if I really really complain a lot? Will you give in and give my car back?

No? Big mean bully!

Last edited by gerund; 12-16-2014, 11:12 AM. Reason: Laughing too much

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                          Lassie clearly should have left Timmy in the well to receive his well deserved Darwin Award.
                          Lassie's litter mate Finneas was also a good dog.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                            Lassie's litter mate Finneas was also a good dog.
                            Ouch . . . .
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                            X