Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got fired from a job, once. It occured way back in 1981.
    Do I need to bring that up, at the interview? If so, what's the best way to put a positive spin on it? Or does that fact that it took place 25 years ago work in my favor?
    Thanks!

Comment

Quoth dougiezerts View Post
      Do I need to bring that up, at the interview? If so, what's the best way to put a positive spin on it? Or does that fact that it took place 25 years ago work in my favor?
      Thanks!
      I'd say don't hide it, but only bring it up if they ask. As long as your work history doesn't suggest job hopping, getting fired once doesn't look bad.
      It's the people who change jobs at least once a year that firing looks bad for, because it looks like they are trying to stay one step ahead of being fired.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Most places are only interested in the last 10 years anyway. At least, that's what I've always been told.
        My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Just remembered, it was 1983, not 81!
          But anyway, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Quoth dougiezerts View Post
            From twenty five years ago? If you can make it vanish from your resume without any gaping holes, do it that way. And only bring it up if asked about.
            Last edited by Ree; 09-14-2006, 10:16 PM. Reason: Excessive quoting

Comment

Quoth RavenStarr View Post
              Good idea: When asked why you want the job you say:I love photography. I want to work here to get the experience I need to open my own studio.

Bad idea: When asked why you want the job you say: Because I need the money.
              Depends on the job. A lot of part-time, near minimum wage jobs, that's fine for. Saying "I want to get experience" during the Wal-Mart Christmas season might end up sounding a bit hokey.

I know that when I was doing interviews, I never counted "I want $$$" to be a bad thing. That's what I had to offer, after all. But if they started talking about experience, I'ld continue down that alley a bit... and if they were brownnosing me, it would count as a negative.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post

I know that when I was doing interviews, I never counted "I want $$$" to be a bad thing. That's what I had to offer, after all.
                How about, "I prefer eating to starving"? It shows I have my priorities straight and I won't be wasting my money on booze or illegal drugs and coming in drunk/stones. *Ducks*

Comment

Also, while many managers look down upon it, if for any reason you ask them not to call a reference (work) putting "Must discuss in person" is acceptable by DOL standards. Also, "personal" is a good answer as well.

If you put this, be ready to explain, but try not to go into too much detail. One example from my past might be:

Company X. Years there: 3. Reason for Leaving: personal

When asked, I didn't go into grave detail, but simply said "I felt it was a hostile work environment, caused by the attitude of my superior."

ONLY if they asked more questions on the subject would I answer.

I've always looked at an interview like court where you're on trial for something and have to defend yourself. The interviewer is the prosecutor. While they may ask you questions, you should answer them as accurately and concisely as possible. Don't give them ammunition to use against you at a later date.
                  Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

Quoth Tria View Post
                    How about, "I prefer eating to starving"? It shows I have my priorities straight and I won't be wasting my money on booze or illegal drugs and coming in drunk/stones. *Ducks*
                    What if you said to the interviewer, "I collect dollar bills, as a hobby--especially chrisp new ones."
                    Then see how long it takes for your rear end to get thrown out!

Comment

Quoth repsac View Post
                      6.) Do not flirt with the Interviewer. Especially if they are the same sex as you.
                      Is this one of the rules you learnt the hard way?
                      I ride the time, it unfolds a new day,
                      another time, this world would fade away
                      To find true love, is like no other joy,
                      our choice is here
                      be happy for today

Comment

Working...
                      X