This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /whimper

They've gotten aggressive with my PT. Apparently I wasn't hurting myself enough in the "Do this till it hurts and hold it for 30 seconds, then do it 5x." No they want me to go to the point where I'm trying not to cry out. OMG THE PAIN!

What is it that you're doing?

Comment

There's one where i lean against the wall with my arm bent trying to touch my shoulder and I lean into it, then there's another with a 3lb weight where I have it in my hand and am laying down with my arm elbow to hand hanging off the bed palm up weight distributed so the wrist rotates out further and I'm to make sure my bicep is relaxed so I get the full stretch. I hold both positions for 30 seconds 5x each. Plus bicep curls and triceps press.

Comment

If it isn't just at the point where you are about to scream, it isn't helping... (shouldn't go past to where you actually scream) my therapist told me.

Comment

Ouch. Is there another way to do it? Better that you don't hurt yourself.

Comment

Is it bad I try to tap MYSELF out?

Comment

It ain't called personal torture for nothing...

In the continuing and what feels like never ending quest to get my shoulder back up to strength after the labrum was repaired (4 anchors, 2 different tears thanks to an attempt at flight sans airplane) my physical therapist has me hosting 4 pound kettle weights straight up over my head and holding stable for 10 reps of 30 seconds each. Lots of fun...

Comment

"Physical Terrorist" is what I've heard at my job shadow (job shadowing PTs and PTAs -- going to be a PTA).

Just make sure you communicate your pain level clearly to your therapist. It's going to hurt, yes, because you need to push yourself past your comfort zone, but too much hurt can do more harm than good. So that open communication is very important.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

The PT will push you but it's for your own good! I wouldn't have use of my wrist or ankle without the PT people who helped me. But yes let them know the pain you are in and maybe they can cut you some slack.
                  ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

Well... I've pretty much plateaued. I think I'm at peace with my range of motion. I'm functional, I only don't have full reach and need to get used to wearing my purse on the left.

Comment

Working...
                    X