This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Well, I finished the program!"

I heard this from a colleague of mine at a different community college from where I work, so it's more of a sighting.

A student takes and fails to pass the final course of her nursing program this past Spring. However, she is undeterred by her failure! No, sir, not gonna let it get in my way.

With great optimism she pays the testing fee to the testing company to take the NCLEX-RN (the national licensing exam for RNs), and calls to get a test date.

When she is told she can't get a test date, she calls the Board of Nursing wanting to know why she can't get confirmation of a test date. She tells the Board that she did indeed finish the program and should be allowed to test.

So what was the actual problem? Uuhhhh . . . because you didn't actually graduate.

The Chair of that program did confirm to the Board that yes, the student finished the course. However, she did not pass the course, is not eligible for graduation, and therefore is not eligible to take the NCLEX.

Her failure to grasp this little detail speaks volumes to why she failed out of her program (for the 2nd time, so she's not eligible to come back thank god), and why she has no business taking the NCLEX in the first place.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

This reminds me of someone I knew in a non-medical training environment.

Back in trade school -- proggy classes -- There was one student who seemed almost proud of the fact that she had gone thru the whole process something like five or six times (6 semesters crammed into a bit more than a year and a half), and never passed/graduated...The week before pre-grad finals, she came to me for help on programming Functions -- something we had learned in the FIRST SEMESTER! I weep for that poor girl and whoever hired her...>_>
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      This reminds me of someone I knew in a non-medical training environment.

Back in trade school -- proggy classes -- There was one student who seemed almost proud of the fact that she had gone thru the whole process something like five or six times (6 semesters crammed into a bit more than a year and a half), and never passed/graduated...The week before pre-grad finals, she came to me for help on programming Functions -- something we had learned in the FIRST SEMESTER! I weep for that poor girl and whoever hired her...>_>
      This kinda reminds me of a story I read on Computer Stupidities.

Woman in a programming class (inadvertently??) writes an infinite loop that prints a message to the console. So since the message goes to the console, the program must work, right? Well, genius lady decides she's gonna send the output to the printer...

Yes, she sends the output from an infinite loop to the printer. Let that sink in for a minute.

The instructor had to switch off the printer, stop her program, then flush the print queue manually.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        Her failure to grasp this little detail speaks volumes to why she failed out of her program (for the 2nd time, so she's not eligible to come back thank god), and why she has no business taking the NCLEX in the first place.
        The fact that people can't just keep trying till they succeed warms my heart to no end.
        Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post

With great optimism she pays the testing fee to the testing company to take the NCLEX-RN (the national licensing exam for RNs), and calls to get a test date.
          Im hoping she was just overly optimisitc in thinking no one would notice. Im praying she really wasn't that clueless. (We dont need anymore of those around here!!)

It scares me that she got to the last course instead of flunking out wayyy sooner.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
            Im hoping she was just overly optimisitc in thinking no one would notice. Im praying she really wasn't that clueless. (We dont need anymore of those around here!!)

It scares me that she got to the last course instead of flunking out wayyy sooner.
            The community college system exists to promote student success. Unfortunately, some CC administrators have interpreted that to mean, "If at first you don't succeed try, try again." Which doesn't work in limited enrollment programs like nursing.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
            X