This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food recall question

There's recently been a massive recall of prepared food products due to an industrial supplier of bread crumbs not declaring that they contain milk (one of the 5 "major allergens"). Since this isn't a food poisoning issue (i.e. the food is perfectly safe for people who aren't allergic), I was wondering something.

Suppose food processor X uses the bread crumbs in question, but only in products that already contain dairy (e.g. breading on Chicken Cordon Bleu, where the chicken breasts are stuffed with ham and cheese), or on products which are already labeled with the warning "may contain milk". Would they be able to get an exemption from the recall? After all, it doesn't make sense to recall a product with cheese as one of its ingredients simply because another ingredient contains milk.

If such an exemption were allowed, and the supplier still had a bunch of contaminated product to get rid of, I'd imagine that processor X would be able to get a good deal on otherwise unsaleable material.
    Last edited by wolfie; 06-14-2017, 08:41 AM. Reason: Added more material
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

That sounds completely logical but this sort of thing often doesn't run on logic.

Comment

Agreed. It seems to make sense, but it also seems like the sort of things that would not be allowed at all. "If you recall something, then it cannot be used," is probably the procedure and likely something in the law as well.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
      X