This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a TENS machine?

I've just been issued one for my chronic back pain but although it has all the technical instructions on how to set it up, and suggested positions for the pads, no mention is made of what settings to use... I'm wary enough of purposely electrocuting myself, but I'm definitely not keen to play guinea pig! Any ideas?
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Turn it up until you start to feel something, but not to the point of pain. I had it at my chiropractor's office and I loved it.

Comment

Unfamiliar with the term, but this is the thing that mildly shocks your muscles as a form of therapy, yes? I LOVED that thing at my chiro's office back when I was first injured. I have since moved far away, and the one chiro my insurance covered didn't have one of those. It felt really good when they pushed it up high enough that it made me practically vibrate visibly...but maybe I'm just odd like that (among so many other ways ) ... Sadly, even if I still had insurance, there no way I'd be able to get one for myself. If possible, see if the makers, or your chiro office, has someone available (or can recommend someone) who can show you how to use it properly and safely (probably for a few bucks).

What Sandman suggests is probably wise -- Start at the lowest-power setting and crank it up one level at a time until you feel something. Then, adjust as needed.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Not therapy so much as pain relief but basically yeah. I could have bought one for not much more than I spent on the parking etc. to attend the appointment I waited a month for... The doctor did mention they offer an introduction course, but also that it really only copied the instruction leaflet so I thought I'd be fine going solo.

Thanks for the reassurance I'll give it a buzz!
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Sadly, even if I still had insurance, there no way I'd be able to get one for myself.
          Try Amazon. I think I spent $40.

Comment

It's interesting that I run across this post because I am in a lot of pain right now. I loved TENS at the chiropractor's office. It was the only thing I liked about those visits.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

morgana - Really? Eeeeentereeesting. Thanks! I'll check it out!

I figured they'd be ten times that (HA!), even for a cheap shitty model. Then again, I've only ever seen the big machine models they used in the chiro's office. If I'd known about portable ones, I'd have bought one years ago o_O
              Last edited by EricKei; 09-04-2017, 06:40 AM.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                Thanks for the reassurance I'll give it a buzz!
                I see what you did there!
                "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Ah crap.

On the plus side, fiddling with the settings was remarkably easy, considering there's 4 different dials and a 3-position toggle to choose from. I quickly found something that felt soothing without irritating. My lower back delighted in being electromassaged.

On the minus side, I wrenched my shoulder and upper back trying to put the damn sticky patches on in the first place, and they're giving me more grief now than my lower back was before, so it's a net loss.

Gonna talk to my GP, see if there's not some kind of electrode-holding belt that might be available; I've looked on Amazon and only found one available direct to the public in my area, and it didn't have very good reviews. Fingers crossed there's something that might be available professionally, otherwise this is going to have been a waste of time & effort.

Comment

I'd need to do the same x.x My back is messed up such that getting the damn 'trodes into position could be problematic.

Comment

I have a TENS machine and I swear by it. I deal with lower back, shoulder, and neck pain, and while I can reach most of the spots to stick the pads without causing more pain, there are two spots that I simply can't reach. Thank goodness my kid is more than willing to help.

Mine is only a cheap one that I ordered from wish(dot)com because I wanted to try it first to see if it worked at all before I order a more expensive one. So far, so good. Next payday I plan on ordering a better one via Amazon so that I can take the cheaper one to work and have the good one for home use.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                        Gonna talk to my GP, see if there's not some kind of electrode-holding belt that might be available; I've looked on Amazon and only found one available direct to the public in my area, and it didn't have very good reviews. Fingers crossed there's something that might be available professionally, otherwise this is going to have been a waste of time & effort.
                        Do you know a seamstress near you? That might be the kind of thing that could be custom-made, if she was up to the task. I doubt if you're in my area, but that's exactly the kind of challenge that I'd take on.
                        Last edited by EricKei; 09-06-2017, 11:45 AM. Reason: snip

Comment

Working...
                        X