Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the coin-op cart also saves on having an employee going out to round up carts several times a day. If one customer leaves a cart, the next will snag it to gain a quarter. (Still, tell me more about these candy-carts)

Bags... tend to leave and not come back. The newer bags, meant to be reused, are a little pricier than the flimsy ones that are getting banned in more places, and ... well, they don't come back as often as they should.

Comment

I am very fond of ChicoBags (chicobag.com), sturdy "nylon" (or similar) bags which stuff into their own inside pocket for storage. My first one is gapping a little at the seams, but still going strong after at least 10 or 15 years. I've since bought more, and I recently saw some being sold at Whole Paycheck. Nowadays the company offers a variety of options ranging from an ultramini that can go on a keychain to a picnic bag that stuffs into a flat rectangle.

The only product of theirs I didn't like was their backpack, and I suspect that may be because my shoulders are too wide for it to hang properly.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        As experimentally verified by my daughter, the 7th grade science teacher (in her pre-sponsible days), if you lift the trolley up in the air while crossing the boundary, it doesn't lock up. Lifting a full trolley 2-3 feet in the air is left as an exercise for the student.

For SCIENCE!
        Sure wish that worked for the carts around here. One store has so many defective, perma-locked carts that I seriously considered keeping a wrench handy to remove the offending wheel.
        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I would think that small GPS trackers would be easy to install on the carts. If carts keep going to the same address, they get mailed a trespass warning if it keeps happening... Or could be hand delivered by a couple of big guys with a truck to take the cart back.

Comment

I have a client who pays his rent by picking up shopping carts and returning them to their stores. He has an agreement with several stores to drive around the area, grab shopping carts and return them for cash. He doesn't get much and going by the hours he works, he makes about 3 bucks an hour (in a state with a 10.50 min. wage), but whatever.

I've seen people with pick-up trucks picking shopping carts up in other areas, perhaps that folks who "borrow" them are just doing their part to help others pay their rent?

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
              I would think that small GPS trackers would be easy to install on the carts. If carts keep going to the same address, they get mailed a trespass warning if it keeps happening... Or could be hand delivered by a couple of big guys with a truck to take the cart back.
              GPS trackers would be fairly expensive (adding significantly to the cost of the cart itself), and need maintenance (if only battery changes). As for the big guys hand-delivering notices, few of those carts are going to be in people's houses; around here they tend to congregate around the dumpsters, or the "back path" out of the development. The truck would come in handy, but I think that's basically what the stores do already.

Comment

A GPS receiver is relatively cheap. Once the device knows its location, it needs to send that information to the store. That is the part that gets expensive.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Cost is one reason not to put in the locking cart barrier. The other reason is the landlord. It requires digging up the parking lot along the barrier and putting in the actual barrier.

When I worked at Petco we were begging to have this put in. Buying carts every couple of months was killing our budget (and thus raises for everyone in the store).

I had a lot of arguments with people about why they couldn't take our cart and yes that's stealing. One person said we wouldn't miss it and I got to counter with "Well, yes we would, it's one of 3 we have left..."

BUT! People complained less about us having zero carts than when we had the bars on the carts so they couldn't go out the door (according to the SM, that was before my time there).

The only plus was that I got to go on some really long walks around our parking lot and Costco's next door to hunt for carts. It was during my burnout/breakdown so the brief walk did me good.

Comment

One person said we wouldn't miss it and I got to counter with "Well, yes we would, it's one of 3 we have left..."
                    "The Great Spirit will supply new carts..."

Comment

We have a shopping cart sitting at the back of our store that nobody wants. For some reason management decided to get rid of it (I think it only had some kind of paint spilled on it) and there is sits. It works fine as far as I remember and I doubt it's locked up. It's been out there for months. Guess someone thinks it would be stealing to take it? Or they don't want a paint covered cart?
                      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I talked to someone today who gets paid to drive his pick-up around and pick up shopping carts to return to stores. He has a private agreement with each store and gets paid cash for each returned cart. He has to show pics of where he found the cart, so they know he wasn't just getting them from the parking lots. He's not getting rich, but he can make his rent and buy beer/smokes.

After I approved his food stamps, he gave me his card and asked me to call him with the location(s) of any carts I see and he would give me 2 dollars each as a finder's fee!

Comment

Working...
                        X