This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught a scammer

Dude says his $1500 diamond ring was not in the box and the package was not damaged when it arrived. Alrighty then......Regrettably, this sort of thing does happen. This isn't the first time I've had a customer tell me they received an empty box but this is the first time the item has been that expensive. I apologize out the ying-yang and send the higher-ups an email with all the details so they can start an investigation.

It turns out any item over $500 is photographed and weighed before the package is mailed. There's a nice, clear picture of the sparkly ring and the package was the correct weight for the item.

Oh, did I mention that the tracking number indicated that the ring had been delivered six days earlier? Who waits SIX DAYS to report their $1500 diamond ring did not arrive? I have customers throw a royal fit if their $20 cubic zirconia earrings arrive a day late and this guy waits SIX FREAKIN' DAYS to tell us a $1500 DIAMOND RING did not arrive? Did I also mention he didn't call, he told me about the missing ring through ONLINE CHAT? WTF??

Nice try, dude. I wish I could have sent the email telling him to suck it.
    Last edited by Severen13; 12-19-2018, 10:01 PM.
    I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

What kind of response is made to this kind of fraudulent effort? Does somebody senior call or email and tell him that the company does weigh and photograph, or do they not say what they do, but assert that the claim is fraudulent and they have proof?

Comment

People never cease to amaze me. I sell online, and knock on wood, I've never had any scammers. But I know others who have. A lot. Some of them are pretty creative, others just plain dumb.

As for tracking, I am a serial online shopper, and I stalk my packages. they don't arrive when showing as delivered? I'm on the phone ASAP with the shipper. Just in case it says they went elsewhere and wehre. Last year I had two packages, one order, two shipments, both arriving on teh same day. Showed as delivered, but only had one.

UPS writes my apt number in BIG letters on packages. Called them, and oh, it was delivered to the transposed number apt. which is literally next door to me across the sidewalk. SOmeone has written the wrong number on it. Ok, went over, and there it was.

Comment

Quoth Catwoman2965 View Post
        People never cease to amaze me. I sell online, and knock on wood, I've never had any scammers.
        I think you may have jinxed yourself, Cat.
        Anyway some of the scammers I've seen are so transparent, that I've gotten a good look at my frontal lobe from the eye rolls.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Minflick View Post
          What kind of response is made to this kind of fraudulent effort? Does somebody senior call or email and tell him that the company does weigh and photograph, or do they not say what they do, but assert that the claim is fraudulent and they have proof?
          I honestly can't say for sure since it's now out of my hands and I'm the low guy on the totem pole, but I'm pretty sure that one way or another this guy is going to get a big fat NOPE.
          Last edited by Severen13; 12-20-2018, 03:58 AM.
          I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

My wife sold a designer bracelet through Ebay once. She didn't ship it the day after the auction ended, and the buyer cancelled their bid because it "hadn't shipped yet". When she contacted them, they apologized and said they "weren't sure" if she was going to send it, but they would be happy to re-instate payment as soon as she provided proof of shipping. Uh-huh.

The second-place bidder was very happy with their bracelet!

Online purchases seem so easy for scammers.

Comment

It happened even before online purchases were a thing. Way back when, I worked in a hospital records department, and at patient request we would make a copy of their medical records. The first copy was free, but there was a per-page charge for any subsequent copies unless the person requesting the records was active duty military, then they'd get two copies. This one woman requested a copy of her records. She then claimed she never received them, so we made and sent another copy. She then claimed again that she'd never received them. The third time this happened my boss insisted that she come pick them up in person and sign for them in the log book, and she did this. About a month later she called, claiming that she hadn't gotten her records. My boss, who did not suffer fools gladly, told her flatly that because she'd come in and picked up a set of her records and signed in our log book that she had received them, could only get another copy of her records if she paid for them. Boss figured the woman was involved in something where she needed several copies of her records, and she was too cheap to go to Kinko's. When Turtleguy got his records, he went to Kinko's and got two sets made, and it only cost about $15 for around 400 pages, if I remember right.

Comment

Quoth Severen13 View Post
                Nice try, dude. I wish I could have sent the email telling him to suck it.

Someone who got told no when they proposed
                Last edited by MadMike; 12-26-2018, 09:53 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

Working...
                X