This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Does this hurt?"

I hate that question. Mostly, I hate when it's asked as I'm being touched in a way that, yes, hurts like hell.

A couple years ago, my left ear went funny. It felt like it needed to pop, but when I tried to pop it, it felt like my eardrum was being ripped out. So I went to Docs On Call (essentially, it's for very short-notice appointments when one's primary care physician is unavailable) to be seen by someone there. I still don't quite recall if this woman said that her name was 'Tuffie' or "Taffy' or 'Toffee', but it was something like that. I do remember that she was A) wearing a shirt that was very cleavage-inducing and B) either had weirdly long nails or was wearing press-ons.

So, anyway, my dad, who brought me to the appointment, and I go back into the exam room (I'm weird and don't like to go into the exam room by myself if I don't have to. e.e). The following is pretty much what happened.

Me: *explaining my symptoms to her*
    Taffy: *listens, doesn't write a blasted thing down* *suddenly reaches over with one finger and taps me sharply on my left temple* Does that hurt?
    Me: *recoils in both surprise, annoyance (I hate to be poked, but especially anywhere near or on my face), and pain* Yesthathurts!!!
    Taffy: You've got swimmer's ear.

I was in and out in less than 10 minutes. Sent away with no advice on what I should do about my ear and no clue if what she said I had was what I really had or not. I mean, who does that?? The first thing I did when I got home was schedule an appointment with a proper ear-nose-and-throat doctor. He didn't poke me. He looked in my ear, saw that something was a bit off, and proceeded to do a cleaning.

It turned out that Toffee was right and that it was swimmer's ear, but I'm very glad I got a second opinion. Not only was I told what it was, but the doc told me how it's caused and what I can do to prevent it in the future. Also, he gave me a prescription for some medicated ear drops that I had to use twice a day for about two weeks. It cleared things up nicely.

Moral of the story? I'm never going to Docs On Call again.

-----------------------------------------------
    This is only the first, and probably most tame, of my medical-related stories. XD I may post a few of the worse ones, because I do have quite a few.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

What really pisses me off is when you're in pain and they try to tell you, "Oh, that doesn't hurt!" This idiot dentist tried to tell me that once, when I was wincing in pain over getting a shot of novacain in my mouth. I am deathly afraid of needles to begin with, and the mouth isn't one of my favorite spots to get one.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Gah!
      I would have dodged out of the way, goin' "WTF."
      Dirty looooooook!
      Brusque much?
      "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
      "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Handy tip: If you've just gone swimming or have had a serious session in the shower, and you notice you have trouble hearing out of one ear or feel pressure, do the following:

(1) Tilt your head so the affected ear is facing down.
        (2) Jump up and down a dozen times.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post

Handy tip: If you've just gone swimming or have had a serious session in the shower, and you notice you have trouble hearing out of one ear or feel pressure, do the following:

swimming:

shower:
          (1a) PUT ON UNDIES TO PREVENT FLAPPAGE DAMAGE WHILE PERFORMING STEP 2
          there ..fixed it for you
          “The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.”
          ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Another good thing to help with leaky swimmer's ear that has a plugged feeling...put a few drops of peroxide in your ear and let it sit for a few seconds. It'll start to bubble and crackle and feel kind of nice, and then tilt your head over a sink so the excess comes out. This will help dry up the flow of grossness that may come out of an infected ear.

Then again, I've personally never had swimmer's ear with pain, so I guess it was easier for me to use a home remedy for a month. I have had one very painful ear infection and I lasted four days before I went to the ER (I didn't yet have a GP at the time and no local walk-in or acute care clinics). Didn't want to bug the folks in the ER, but I would have had to wait three weeks to make an appointment and I would have killed myself by then.

Comment

Another good trick that Mama Jedi taught me is a drop of rubbing alcohol. It evaporates the water.
              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

What an idiot doc/pa/fnp. She must be working in a doc in a box because even hospital doctors were horrified by her lack of bedside manner.

Pressed on nails are verboten in health care . . . the glue is a culture medium for bacteria.

I don't recommend the use of hydrogen peroxide in the ear. It destroys healthy tissue along with the infection.

A warm compress and Tylenol is usually sufficient for the pain, though there are numbing ear drops you can get by prescription.

Alcohol drops are a good preventative for swimmer's ear; I use this trick myself as I had problems with swimmer's ear when I was a kid. However, I would not recommend it after symptoms appear for the same reason I don't recommend hydrogen peroxide.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                  Another good trick that Mama Jedi taught me is a drop of rubbing alcohol. It evaporates the water.
                  This is the trick they used at my Girl Scout camp. Any time we went swimming, afterwards we had to line up and get a couple drops of alcohol in each ear.
                  It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    What really pisses me off is when you're in pain and they try to tell you, "Oh, that doesn't hurt!" This idiot dentist tried to tell me that once, when I was wincing in pain over getting a shot of novacain in my mouth. I am deathly afraid of needles to begin with, and the mouth isn't one of my favorite spots to get one.
                    Or better yet when you're still in the OR from having sinus surgery, and the dr is packing in that wonderful pressure packing in my nose to stop the bleeding....and he is causing me so much pain I'm literally crying....and he says "oh stop crying that doesn't hurt that bad". How the hell does HE know? I had just had my sinus cavities scraped and thinned and a deviated septum fixed and now he's shoving what's essentially a long string of bandage stuff in a ball in my nose...yeah it hurts!

When I had to take the packing out the next day I drugged myself up on codeine just to get the deed done.

asshole.....
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

It's even worse when you're getting your very first prostate exam and the doctor asks if you're uncomfortable while his hand is still up there.

It's like...how am I supposed to answer that?

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                        An on call doc-not the regular pedi-tried telling me that teething doesn't hurt babies and my daughter was just a drama queen. Im not sure how she could know this or how she could truly believe that a tooth tearing its way through skin doesn't hurt but I told her that she was wrong and we will never see her again. An unsympathetic pediatrician is useless in my opinion.

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
                          An on call doc-not the regular pedi-tried telling me that teething doesn't hurt babies and my daughter was just a drama queen. Im not sure how she could know this or how she could truly believe that a tooth tearing its way through skin doesn't hurt but I told her that she was wrong and we will never see her again. An unsympathetic pediatrician is useless in my opinion.
                          Oh dear lord. Save me from idiot doctors like this.

You did the right thing.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Having had all 4 of my wisdom teeth come in, because they had enough room... oh heck YES it hurts!

(And having them later crumble because the enamel's too thin isn't much fun either.)

Comment

Quoth AquaGirl View Post
                              drama queen. .
                              Please tell me a professional doctor didn't use the words "drama queen" on a child. Or even use those words at all.

I realize a pediatricians can get a bit harried from all of the hypochondriac parents they see in one day, but if a doctor ever said that to my nephew or nieces (assuming my sisters in law didn't kill them first) I'd have to tell them to shove the Scrubs DVD's up their ass and do their jobs.

It's like, if you weren't going to do it properly why pay all that money to go to medical school? There had to be cheaper trades to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X