Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A patient that tests my patience (longish)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A patient that tests my patience (longish)

So I haven't posted in about 2 years (haven't really been on the site again till very recently).

BG: I work at a hospital as an imaging technician (so the person who takes xrays, and more recently MRI's).
    Now for those of you who've never had an mri/seen an mri machine essentially the patient lies on a table and the table moves back into the machine which looks like a long tube (5ish feet long or so, open at both ends). However due to the nature of HOW we get images the width and height of the machine are fairly small. (roughly 2ft x 2 ft). and nothing changes or moves except the table. the area for patients being scanned doesn't change size etc. it's a plastic/ceramic machine not a stretchy piece of spandex. /BG

Me:
    SP: sucky patient
    M: Manager

I had a woman come in for an MRI who was rather large. This was her 2nd mri scan with us she had one done the past week when I hadn't been working.

so I run through what were scanning today, ask if she has any questions, etc. my usual 'pre-scan spiel' i do with every patient so they understand the procedure.

I get her into the scan room put her on the table and move the table into the mri. I had not yet started the test yet, and then this..

SP: I can feel the sides of the tunnel against my arms!

Me: Yes, the area is fairly cramped in there but it's only for a short while.

SP: The woman who did my test the other day didn't have me up so high, I couldn't feel the sides then.

Me: I assure you ALL the equipment is identical to what we were using last week. If you can feel the sides now you would have felt them on friday.

SP: repeat above

me: repeat above

This goes on a few more times.

SP: I can't do this if i can feel the walls I'm going to puke.

so I get her out of the MRI scanner now people freaking out, being claustrophobic and not wanting the test done, is pretty common (happens AT LEAST once/day).

and I inform her of her options which are A. go to her doctor and get some medication to relax her so she can get through the test here and rebook with us (we have a very short waiting list a few weeks tops). Or B. go to her doctor and ask for her test to be booked at Hospital Y which has a slightly larger MRI scanner so her arms would probably not touch the sides there. or C. cancel test altogether and don't rebook (generally not advised as there are reasons the dr's order these).

After I inform her of her choices.

SP: Well i'm seeing my dr in a few days so i'll talk to him then and see what he thinks.

Me: So you don't want our bookings department to rebook you with a new appointment?

SP: no i'll just talk to my dr.

So she's still going on as she's leaving about how her arms weren't touching on her previous test etc. etc. etc.

I tried to remain calm and professional through it all and I succeeded I feel. However I the last 5 or so times i repeated 'nothing has changed in a few days equipment is ALL the same' I may have had a bit of a impatient tone in my voice. As I think I said the same thing 10+ times.

So next day I go into work and am informed my manager wants to see me... Oh joy.

So I go into her office and before she even says what she asked me in for.

Me: This is about 'patient x' last night isn't it?

M: Yes, she called me this morning to complain about the girl (note: I am male and in no way look even a bit like a woman) who did her scan wrong last night, apparently you've ruined her life.

I inform my manager I went over our standard A/B/C choices when someone bails out of getting a scan done.

Manager was actually pretty cool as she is somewhat known for NOT backing her staff up but said she wasn't worried about my ability to perform my job and that in 5 years this is the only complaint she had about me (or about the mysterious 'girl' who was working ) and that on top of the mri the woman complained that the halls were dirty (they weren't housekeeping in our department is pretty vigilant) and that the colour of the walls was wrong (it's white... wtf?) And this is about the 6th time manager has heard from this paticular person. So basically I was called in just as a formality to show 'something was done about the incident' and that was it.

So it ended nicely at least. Except the patient is rebooked with us (without meds from her doctor to relax her) so HOPEFULLY i'm off the day she's back in.
    Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Oy oy oy. What a pain. When my partner (who has severe anxiety issues) had his MRI booked, he arranged with his GP to get sedated onsite prior to the MRI. Sounds like she doesn't so much have anxiety, as a PITA attitude
    Glad your boss took it in good nature. Especially the gender bender bit!
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Truly, the number of unpleasant incidents that completely ruin somebody's whole entire life never ceases to amaze me.

Comment

What with the lady's misstating your gender and her complaints about the walls, I hope that the MRI is for a brain scan, because I think she really needs it. And that's not snark, either. I think she's get a real problem.

Comment

If that ruined her life it must not have been that awesome to begin with.

Comment

Is there an open MRI in your area? That might be a good option for that lady.

When I had my MRIs for my back, they gave me a bulb on a hose to squeeze if I got claustrophobic and wanted out. Just knowing I had that option made it easier somehow. But yeah, it's pretty tight in there. I just kept breathing and telling myself it would be over eventually.

The first time, my head was actually partially out, because they started out looking at L4-5. But then they must have seen the bottom of the tumor, because there was a pause and then they moved me farther in/up my spine. I presume they must have called the radiologist to change the order.
            "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
              Is there an open MRI in your area? That might be a good option for that lady.
              Or an upright MRI. I had that on my shoulder because I do have claustrophobia. Nothing in your face, I could even keep on my glasses. I watched TV and could even move my head when the machine wasn't going (rather than staying constantly in one position, I just couldn't move my arm.)

Comment

At first I just thought she hadn't noticed her arms touching the walls of the machine the first time. But as I kept reading I started wondering if she had actually even had an MRI before. I mean, she got your gender wrong, she complained about the walls "being dirty" (seriously, so what? How does that affect your MRI??) and the bit about the walls being "the wrong color"--OK, she is delusional.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Know what's weird? Every time I've had an MRI, I've fallen asleep. The sound (although loud) is rhythmic enough to put me to sleep. Really.
                  In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                  She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I have ridden the tube at least a dozen times myself over the years (broken leg 3x, kidney stones, possible cancer) and each time I am too fascinated by the technology and thankful I live in an era when such things exist to think of anything else. I cannot discount the genuine feelings folks have otherwise, but for me I am always reminded of how wonderful it is to be alive these days.
                    "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

I can understand about most MRI machines being tight. I'm a large individual, and I have to book my MRIs at the hospital with an open MRI machine. No big deal, I just remember to do so.

But I have to agree with MoonCat. I bet she had an x-ray done and thought it was an MRI.
                      "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

In Boston I think they have a special MRI scanner that is "open" expressly for those patients who get claustrophobic or can't fit inside. I'm not sure if it's available elsewhere, though.
                        Fiancee: We're going to need to do laundry. I'm out of clean pants.
                        Me: Sounds like a job for Gravekeeper!
                        Fiancee: What?!
                        Me: Nevermind.

Comment

I am 'large' although not immense thankfully. And I HATE MRIs as I always feel closed in and the 'bed' is so darn narrow. But I just close my eyes until they say I am out. It's the only way I can make it through the blasted things.

Comment

Since the machinery couldn't magically get smaller in a week's time, maybe the person got larger?
                            That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

I've had a couple, and while I don't get claustrophobic (and can't see diddly without my glasses so that helps) in spite of going before, I had to pee really really really really badly during mine. So bad I had to squeeze the bulb to find out how much long it would be. I was in serious pain! so they finished and i hopped off the table, sans glasses, and bolted in the direction of the potty. OMG I thought I was going to burst.

Comment

Working...
                              X