This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water cooled *long*

All this rain recently popped something into my head from last year, around the same time, when we had all that rain in the U.K.

BackGround:

One of the sites where we work flooded. We have a stream that trickles along next to this site and the water rose about 18+ feet over the retaining wall and gutted allmost every building it hit. It was a stressfull time for all involved, i understand that, but being a di*k doesnt help anyone.

We got called in around 730 ish that morning to help out with the clearing up and to make sure no one went where they wernt allowed.

I was in this building once the water had dropped enough. http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...rth2_470_4.jpg
    At it's highest the water had risen up so much that the window on the far right only the top row on the downstairs window was above water. To give you some idea of depth i'm 6ft 4 and the mid point of that window is higher up then i am.

Me: C'est Moi
    B: Site Maintainece
    Sc: moron

Me and B were wading through thigh high water in fishing waders, doing a quick walkthrough of the building to get an idea of damage and setting up water pumps to try n get it to drain faster. We spent as little time in there as possible just to be on the safe side, as it was a fairly oldish building.

Just as we start up the pumps, a huge 4x4 pulls up at the waters edge and a manager type gets out with his brolly and starts shouting things at us. B looks at me n flicks his head, so i wade over to see what this guys problem is. At about 5 ft away he's still shouting, so i hold up a finger indicating he should wait one as i take of my gloves and ear protection.

SC: Wet enough for you?! (with that grateing, sh*t eating grin)
    Me: (smileing wainly)...Yeah a bit. What can i do for you?
    SC: Any chance i can get into my office ?
    Me: (looking around) Not really mate, were not letting anyone one in unneccarily till we sure of the situation and it's really decided it's safe.

This is where he starts getting sucky

SC: Fair enough but i really need my laptop, ive got to email a report to head office today and it's important.
    Me: *shrugs* sorry but i cant let you in.
    SC: But you dont understand its reaaaaaaaaaaaaaal important, i could get fired!!.
    Me: Sorry nothing i can do, it could be dangerous in there at this point in time.

So at this point i stick my gloves and ear protection back on and head back towards B when theres a huge splash just to my left. Seems douche bag wanted my attention and threw half a brick, splashing me with fetid river water. Cue a not best pleased me turning back to him.
    Me: what the hell.......
    Sc: I rent that office, it's MY office! i want my laptop from under my desk
    Me: YOU.. ARNT... GOING... IN ...THERE
    Sc: YOU go then
    Me: And i'll want to help you now because........?
    Sc: errr i rent the building from (site) and (site) pays your wages, therefore you work for me!
    Me: i dont work for you, wheres your damn office?
    I figured it'd be the easiet way to get rid of him and to be out of the rain and wet upstairs for a bit while i "search" and leave wet muddy stinking footprints on his carpet.
    SC: Over there.

I look over to where he's pointing and its to the windows on the far left. DOWNSTAIRS.

Me: Your laptops in there?
    sc: Yes
    Me: Under your desk?
    Sc: YES!
    Me: In the office thats been under 8ft of water?
    Sc:.........*meekly*it's not going to work is it?
    Me:I dont know, it might do
    Sc: *hopefull* You think so?!
    Me:......no. to be honest it's buggered. SO neither you or I is going in the building and rummageing around for it till we're told its safe.
    I once again head back to B as the manager type get back into his 4x4 and sits there glareing.
    B looks at me quizically, as i give him the universal sign for someone who fornicates with themselves where mr manager couldnt see and shouted that i'd tell him later.
    When i shared the story with him later on once we were dry is responce was
    B: Look on the brightside kid
    Me: Whats that then?
    B: Least i didn't have to deal with him
    Ah the joys of co-workers
    All of these things the worker has done
    From tilling the fields to carrying the gun
    We've been yoked to the plough since time first began
    And always expected to carry the can.

If it is a laptop, then he should have just taken it home every night.
    Last edited by powerboy; 07-13-2008, 09:11 PM. Reason: Deleted something that I think should not be long
    Under The Moon Paranormal Research
    San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post

Seconded..

You would also think, that being able to see the outside of the building with how high the water was, and his office being low he'd realize that the office was too under water...DUH..

Comment

But ... but ... but... he closed the door when he left!

Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
          unless it had sensitive information and was not to leave the office-that's how we get all these laptops stolen that aren't supposed to be taken from the building.
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Are you trying to tell me that submerging a computer will make it not work!? That's ridiculous! I'm suing the company that makes my computer and the store that sold it to me because they didn't warn me about that!
            Excuse me, good sir paladin, can you direct me to your EVIL district?

http://www.dywhcomic.com

Comment

Working...
            X