This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother of the rear

While cashiering at a local chain retail store with a large red logo and a red shirt/khaki pant dress code, I encountered a young, frazzled-looking, and obviously overwhelmed mother of a 3-4ish-year-old son in the cart and a newborn son in a carrier in the child seat.

Her disciplinary skills when raising her older child were obviously lacking. He was, as most bratty children are, throwing himself on the floor screaming about candy. God love the impulse buy sections at registers. Amidst the tantrums and screams of a toddler not getting his way, I get "Oh no, dear. No, don't do that" in the softest, meekest voice I think I've ever heard. That's IT. No discipline whatsoever.

I do my thing, check her out, ignore the screaming child, and wish her a happy day as they walk away. Things are about as awesome as they can get when a kid is emitting ear-splitting demon-spawn screams in your ear, and they walk away.

Now, this big chain store has those metal-detector-looking anti-theft things by the door. Tall, climbable, and obnoxious. Young boy in the cart is still throwing a tantrum, and decides it would be awesome if he grabbed one of those on the way out the door. He was screaming at his mother and refusing to let go. Since those things are expensive, security walks over to explain to Clueless Mother that she REALLY needs to control her crotchling unless she wants to buy a new one. She grabs the little boy by the hand and peels him off the thing, just in time for him to ball his now-free fist and punch the sleeping infant directly in the face.

Now, I have kids of my own, particularly in that age groups as a mater of fact. If my toddler EVER EVER EVER hit my newborn, I'd break some ass. What does Mother of the Year do?

"No, no, honey. That's not nice." while newborn infant screams bloody murder and toddler son continues to assail the helpless baby.

At this point, security has the service desk call for an ambulance, the infant has a bloodied nose, and they detain the genius mother. Incident reports are filed, and mother of the year wins a free trip to jail in a cop car.

What did I get for all this?

I got to be the witness in a child-endangerment case. :/
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'

This post made me heart hurt..... Did u ever find out if the baby was okay?

I dont think I understand why the mother was arrested though. Is sucky parenting a arrestable offense? The kid obviously needs some help.....call nanny 911..

Comment

Baby ended up being fine. Mother was arrested initially for child-endangerment for doing NOTHING to stop the older child from beating the living crap out of the infant. The charges stuck once the police found out that the infant was 3-4 months older than suspected and 10+pounds underweight, emaciated, dehydrated, and covered in sores under his clothes.
      Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.'

Comment

Of-Course

Quoth Amina516 View Post

I dont think I understand why the mother was arrested though. Is sucky parenting a arrestable offense? The kid obviously needs some help.....call nanny 911..
        Think about it. If the older child is treating a baby that way and the mother is not doing something to correct the older one's behaviour how safe is the baby?

Infants are tough and fragile at the same time, if the old one throws punch like this in the future the baby could be seriously injured and the mother is doing nothing to prevent that future possibility.

Comment

That hell spawn needs some serious discipline.....too bad the mom doesn't believe in tanning that little demon's ass. I hope that baby is ok!
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

That is just wrong. That lady needs to put her foot down and come down on juniors ass for hitting the baby. But nowadays you have to be carefull how you handle that because if you sneeze the wrong way and the child screams and makes out like he/she is hurt YOU are the one that gets in trouble for that. My guess is that maybe the mom whaled the tar out of him when they got home. I had a similar experience with a parent and a tantrum throwing child and that child hit his sibling. well mom and family went into the car to go home and next thing I know I hear the child scream bloody murder and the mom yell "DON'T EVER F*CKIN' HIT YOUR BROTHER/SISTER AGAIN!"
            NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the customer

Comment

Yikes. Talk about a mother who should've kept her legs shut.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth NimrodJess View Post
                The charges stuck once the police found out that the infant was 3-4 months older than suspected and 10+pounds underweight, emaciated, dehydrated, and covered in sores under his clothes.
                Wow, how did that slip under the radar?
                A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post

Umm...the only 'help' that heartless brat needs is to have the Board of Education applied to the Seat of Knowledge. And possibly to his knuckles.

Seriously, beating up on a BABY is something you do not allow kids to do, end of it. 'Mom' was so utterly spineless that she wouldn't even protect her infant from physical harm for heaven's sake.

Comment

Awesome. Perfect District Manager material right there. Spineless as sin.

Comment

Ugh... pass the duct tape, let's make sure that creature doesn't breed again.

Comment

Quoth NimrodJess View Post
                        The charges stuck once the police found out that the infant was 3-4 months older than suspected and 10+pounds underweight, emaciated, dehydrated, and covered in sores under his clothes.
                        OMG

I pray somone did the right thing and relieved her from the burden of motherhood. Apparently she can't hang. WTH is wrong with people.
                        Tamezin

Comment

That's the problem these days. Too many people out there with kids, too few parents.
                          If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
                          --Woodrow Willson

Comment

Sadly the problem goes deeper than just the lack of disciplin. The child lashing out at the infant does not only scream disciplin problems but also harkens to other problems. As was said before no one touches the baby like that.

The child has learned that punching the baby is an acceptable means of munipulation. He also has leaned that hitting can get you what you want. Both actions were either learned through experimentation or through observation of someone else in the home (i.e. fater and mother, mother and son, or father and son) hitting to get what they want. This is a dangerous precident.

The mother must lack a support structure such as an extended family or decent father or cheritable organizations or government organizations to watch the little devils so she can do a little shopping. She must also lack some major child rearing skills primairly learned through observations and first hand experiance.

Also the underweight baby is disturbing. This as large of an issue as the one child hitting the other. For some reason, be it neglect, poverty, lack of time, and/ or disease the baby is underweight.

I feel sorry for the mother. I hope that this incident will be the call to get the mother the help she needs and deserves.
                            "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                              Awesome. Perfect District Manager material right there. Spineless as sin.
                              You know, I never thought of that... but it makes PERFECT sense! I'm sure she's a corporate whore out there somewhere now. I think her jail time is up.

Comment

Working...
                              X