X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caroll Spinney to retire from Sesame Street

http://www.sesameworkshop.org/press-...sesame-street/

Sesame Street has shaped the lives of millions of children; teaching letters, numbers, shapes and other important concepts to give children a good start in their education, as well as showing the values of friendship and kindness.

Thank you for all your good work, Mr. Spinney.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Oscar the Grouch was my hero when I was little. He was so adorably grumpy and didn't like to have people around all the time just like me.

Sesame Street was one of my favourite shows and I still watch it when I've had a really, really, really bad day. The Rubber Ducky song always makes me feel better.

Jim Henson, his fellow puppet makers and puppet masters are amazing.
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
      The Rubber Ducky song always makes me feel better.
      You can sing "Rubber Ducky" to the tune of the Beach Boys' "Surfer Girl" and the lyrics fit perfectly!

Back on topic, Sesame Street came out the year after I was born. I was a first generation fan, and they gave me a good head start in school with their teaching. I also raised my son on Sesame Street. Actors and puppeteers will change, of course, but I hope the show continues on for many decades to come.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        You can sing "Rubber Ducky" to the tune of the Beach Boys' "Surfer Girl" and the lyrics fit perfectly!
        Are they in common meter? Common-meter songs are famous for being swappable; one of the more spectacular examples being "The Star Spangled Banner" to "The House Of the Rising Sun".

Comment

Always loved the Muppets and anything Jim Henson did. Such a loss when he died.

May Caroll Spinney enjoy a long retirement. He brought so much happiness (and education) to so many children.

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
          "The Star Spangled Banner" to "The House Of the Rising Sun".
          "House of the Rising Sun" and "Amazing Grace" too. Which would also mean "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Amazing Grace".

As a supporter of the Illinois Special Olympic Duck Derby, I have a small collection of Rubber Duckies. And yes, they occasionally get placed in the bath tub, with me.
          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
          Save the Ales!
          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Are they in common meter? Common-meter songs are famous for being swappable; one of the more spectacular examples being "The Star Spangled Banner" to "The House Of the Rising Sun".
            Another good example is Bob Rivers' "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem" to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun."
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

That makes me think of this (Some context: Hey Hey It's Saturday was a variety show in the 90's, they had a segment called "Red Faces" which was sort of like a talent show? This particular trio are still making music )

I'm curious to know who will take over from Spinney - it's almost like the retirement of The Wiggles.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                That makes me think of this (Some context: Hey Hey It's Saturday was a variety show in the 90's, they had a segment called "Red Faces" which was sort of like a talent show? This particular trio are still making music )
                Good old Red Faces. And Plucka Duck. Such a mistake when they tried to re-launch it. It would have gone better if they had of screened the acts for Red Faces. So fucking embarrassing that some nitwit did what they did.

I have a Sesame Street book from when I was a kid. It was one of my favourites. It was a bit educational, a bit fun and has stuff written by Jim Henson. I'll have to get mum to send me a photo of the cover tomorrow because I can't remember the title. It's at her place because my nephew is now obsessed with Count von Count and Cookie Monster.

And we have taught him the Mahna Mahna Song. His mum is not impressed, but we all sing it at random and he can now join in.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ
                A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

In the Carroll Spinney story they introduced the Big Bird Apprentice, who's name escapes me. I figured he wasn't going to be around for much longer, I'm just glad when I saw his name trending that it wasn't the worst it could have been.

He also did Oscar the Grouch, my favorite of the Sesame Street gang.
                  Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
                    Good old Red Faces. And Plucka Duck. Such a mistake when they tried to re-launch it. It would have gone better if they had of screened the acts for Red Faces. So fucking embarrassing that some nitwit did what they did.
                    I believe I know the exact act you're on about - the only reason I can think of for them letting that through in the first place was figuring "Hey, let's pull out an old act for the lulz," without taking everything into account. There were a TON of other old acts they could've used though (including the one I linked to), so why on earth they opted for that one was beyond me. -_-

And we have taught him the Mahna Mahna Song. His mum is not impressed, but we all sing it at random and he can now join in.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ
                    Bahaha, I love it!

Comment

Working...
                    X