This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish I was eligible

This is something not many may hear often. The place I work at (not for..it's complicated) gives away a lot of nice stuff to their employees. Since I work for another company (ie I am basically a contractor employee) I am not eligible.

They give old computers. By old I mean top of the line models from 3 years ago. Now sure they may be obsolete, but they didn't skimp on anything, so for their time they have the most Ram, best graphics cards, etc. Whenever they upgrade they just give the employees the old ones. For FREE. (What is not taken is recycled or given to schools/etc..this is to save on haul away/disposal fees).

Shirts, water bottles, recently they even had a 'contest' of some sort and gave away a 72" HD TV!

Little ol me isn't eligible though, I just get to be the one handing out the stuff normally.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Are you good friends with any of the employees? Maybe they could get some stuff and give it to you.
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
      Are you good friends with any of the employees? Maybe they could get some stuff and give it to you.
      Sheldon's got the right idea. I've entered contests at work and given the items to the employees who really wanted them. Someone might do it as a favor.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I second the idea of making nice with fellow employees. I love my perfectly basic, 4yr old ancient computer, but dang I'd switch in a heartbeat for something nicer. Good luck!
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Unfortunately I could get fired if I accepted anything, as I am in security. We are not allowed to accept any 'gratuity'..similar to the rules that apply to police officials. I've had offers to do just that (ie get something and give it to me), but had to turn it down. Not even from management or such. So that I don't 'look the other way' if they try to make off with something they shouldn't.
          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

That sucks. Boo.
            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Bummer.

I work in a law fim and we pretty much can't accept anything from clients or vendors.
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Awww, that sucks I mean, i applaude that you are very professional about it. A lot of people would do it regardless of rules and what not...but it still sucks
                I can only please one person a day, today isn't your day, and tomorrow doesn't look good either.

When someone asks you a stupid question, give them a stupid answer.

Comment

The computer deal sounds good. What if you bought one for, like, $50, from someone who took one? Off the premises, as a private transaction? Or would that still be a problem?
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Since there is no rule about buying something from somebody, I guess it would be acceptable. Might have to check into that.

Comment

Working...
                    X