Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Um...that was not me bad-mouthing my job.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Um...that was not me bad-mouthing my job.

This is a post I made on Facebook, in regards to my store, followed by the responses I got from customers:

"These 10 for 10 sales are UNBELIEVABLY annoying to us, the employees. How hard is it to set a limit for how many items each person can take?? We get people coming and taking 30 of one item, and then the next customer who comes along is all up in arms because the shelf is empty. So we end up spending most of our shift in the backroom looking for stuff for customers. Thus, we're unable to finish our work on time, and then the store director throws a fit because our area is a mess. *VERY* annoying."

"so if your this dissatified with us customers then why bother to work there? i would really hate to run into u cuz i dont take workers shit my moto is if u dont like ur work hey quit i didnt choose ur job u did....."

"I agree with both but at the same time with this economy people have to take any job they can get to support their family."

"Thats really stupid of you to complain about your job on here, if the wrong peroson sees it you can kiss your job good bye."

Is it just me, or are these reactions WAY overboard in reaction to me voicing a concern in response to all the yelling about shelves being empty? Sounds like some people have a grudge on the workers. Well, we feel the same way about them. But obviously I can't say much more on there, with my name visible. But really, you would have thought I'd said "OMG I hate my job and the customers are all retarded and should just go die"

My advice...never, ever post anything about your job on Facebook! Your bosses can and probably do look at Facebook and even if you are private but you have friends who see it, does not mean it can never get back to the bosses, especially if some of your coworkers are friends! My boss is friends with several workers on Facebook and I know she reads the posts and she has called people out because of what they posted about coworkers. It is better to be safe and just don't say anything except generic stuff like "time to go to work".

Comment

Was this post made on your store's FB site? Because how did random customers gain access?

Don't take their comments personally. I realize you were trying to make a point to head office about limits, but the post came off as a rant about work in general and well, we all know few customers sympathize with worker's vents about retail.

A better way to make your point would've been to keep the focus on benefiting the customer. Stating that product should be more accessible to customers so that, instead of spending unnecessary time in the backroom for a sale the store knew about in advance, you could be helping customers on the floor. Mention that the 10 for 10 sales, while popular, seem to benefit only a few customers that buy in bulk. By the time other customers shop, the product is sold out and they are rightfully upset. Etc etc etc. Sad, but corporate won't care how a worker feels, they don't make sales decisions for your convenience. They care about bringing in dollars and avoiding customer complaints.

I apologize if any of the above came out sounding mean, that isn't how I meant it. I really do appreciate how frustrating retail can be.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I already deleted my post, just to be safe. If all of their replies were going to be that unreasonable, I didn't really need to waste my time reading them. But that really enforces my negative view of many customers. Many of them regularly demonstrate a lack of thinking skills inside the store itself, I shouldn't have expected them to be any different online. Apparently employees aren't allowed to post on that site unless they're praising the store. Then obviously I'll have to stick to sites where workers post.
        Last edited by Despina83; 04-05-2011, 04:02 AM.

Comment

It's safer. Consumers don't like hearing that they aren't god.
          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

There's a reason I don't do Facebook and never will, even though many of my co-workers do. I'm not going to bitch about my job if I have to attach my real name to it.

You can call it being chickenshit; I call it hanging on to my job and my sanity.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The third guy had a point. You bitch about your job on facebook, you might be waving that job goodbye. I had a boss fire me for a comment she THOUGHT was about my job, but wasn't!
              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

That's why sites like Livejournal exist. You can set your entire journal to 'friends only,' bitch and moan all you want about work...and unless the boss (or coworkers) are on your friends list, nobody knows it's there. You keep your sanity, and any nebby (there's some Pittsburghese for you all!) people, only get to see a blank page. I have to vent on LJ from time to time, and that's why most of my entries are set up that way. I'm not about to set myself up for failure
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Never ever ever ever ever write about your job on Facebook. Ever.

Part of hubby's job is to see what people are saying about his company on Facebook & Twitter. The point of this is to see what customers are saying so he can track trends and also so he can try and help them if they are unhappy. He is, however, obligated to report whenever he sees an employee is bashing the company in a way that makes it obvious that they are talking about the company. For example, if someone said "I hate working for Company," that would count. If someone has listed their employer as Company and they said "I hate my job," that also counts.

There are lots of people like hubby out there, and I would be surprised if there weren't companies who hired people just to find employees bitching about their job.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    There's a reason I don't do Facebook and never will, even though many of my co-workers do. I'm not going to bitch about my job if I have to attach my real name to it.

You can call it being chickenshit; I call it hanging on to my job and my sanity.
                    That's also my personal policy. I keep my online presence very low because of this.
                    Osoroshii kangae nimo osoware masu...

Comment

Well at least there are places like this. Though it is good to obscure the name of the company, you can complain all you want on here.
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Here's a thought though... once you get fired from a job solely on the basis of you bad-mouthing them online, what's to stop you from going further? They can only get you for slander for spreading false rumors or lying about them (please correct me on this). If you point out how bad they are and that they canned you for speaking your mind about them on Facebook where the employer or employee was no "friend", it's only proving what they did was sucky.

On the other hand, now that you're no longer an employee you're basically a customer to them, so they should be sucking up to you in a way.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                          That's why sites like Livejournal exist. You can set your entire journal to 'friends only,' bitch and moan all you want about work...and unless the boss (or coworkers) are on your friends list, nobody knows it's there.
                          And you don't have to use your real name or pictures. I've posted a few comments about my (previous) job on mine and never got any flack for it. I doubt they even knew I had a LJ!

Also why sites like this one exist. The company spies probably troll this place too, but as long as nobody's daft enough to use their real name or real company name, they have no way to be certain, even if they do suspect.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth jnd4rusty View Post
                            My advice...never, ever post anything about your job on Facebook!
                            Quoted for Truth.

One of the issues I'm dealing with now at work is changes to the Student Handbook related to electronic devices and social media. There have been instances of students committing HIPAA violations on Facebook and other social media that have gotten them kicked out of school . . . I'm trying to make sure that doesn't happen at MY school.

(so in a sense, I'm the evil boss trolling for inappropriate employees )
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                            X