This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're not listening to me!"

I unfortunately missed this one, as she came in whilst I was on my bank run. I wish I had been around to witness it, though.

We are sold out, which means that if a guest checked in and didn't book it for multiple nights, we can't let them stay over, as that room is booked tonight for another guest.

SC comes to the front desk. Other MOD gets this gem. (She's hovering over my shoulder making sure I get this right.)

SC: "I'd like to pay for my room for another night."
    Other MOD: "What room are you in?"
    SC: *gives room number*
    Other MOD: "Unfortunately, that room is booked for tonight. We are sold out, and I don't have any rooms left."
    SC: "No, you're not listening to me! My stuff is in that room. That is my room, and I want to pay for another night!"
    Other MOD: "No, that was your room for last night. Someone else has booked it tonight."
    SC: "You're not listening to me! That's my room, and I want to pay for another night!"
    Other MOD: "No, you are not listening to me. If you wanted the room for another night, you should have let us know last night, and we could have put a courtesy hold on the room for another night. You only said you wanted one night, and the room has since been booked for tonight."
    SC: "You just aren't listening to me!"
    Other MOD: "Ma'am, I was here when you checked in yesterday. I know you only asked for the room for one night."
    SC: "Well then what am I supposed to do, walk around town with my stuff on my back?"
    Other MOD: "Well, whatever it takes. But we are full."

Even though Other MOD was fuming, she called around to see if she could find any other rooms.

Other MOD: "[Expensive resort 30 miles away] has rooms left for $160 a night."
    SC: "Well I don't want to buy the place!"

Other MOD finally found her a room for $79 at a little hole-in-the-wall place 15 miles away.

Later, I took a call from SC asking me to call her a cab. She was perfectly civil when I dealt with her. I guess she finally accepted her fate by that point.

Other MOD said that if she said "You're not listening to me!" one more time, it was likely she would have snapped and smacked the SC. Other MOD is pretty good about keeping her cool, but this SC almost made her lose her cool (and she sort of did near the end there).
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

ROFL, could have been worse, we were nicely tucked into our room on the way home from Key West watching a bit of TV and the door rattled. No big deal, it was fairly late and people can mistake the room number. So the door rattled again, and muffled chatter between the rattlers. Silence, then a few minutes later the manager tried to open the door, but was not able to because of the bolt thingy. A minute or so later the phone rang, and it was the night manager seeing who was in the room. Not sure how the system allowed us to be registered, print out the paperwork and issue a keycard, but somehow it happened. *shrug* sucks for the latecomers, because apparently the place was fairly full when we checked in several hours earlier so I am not sure if they had another room to dole out. We get handicapped rooms and those tend to be a fairly small percentage of the hotel's offerings.

I know that on our round trip to California and back, on the way back we decided not to make reservations and take pot luck [some days I can't manage to be comfortable stuck in a car for as long as others. THere were some painful days on the way west.] so we had a couple nights where we had to check 2 or 3 hotels before finding a room. One of the nights was a $200 jacuzzi suite that I would rather not have had to pay that much for [I normally can't take tub baths, and most places do not have grab rails for jacuzzis] but they let us peek at it, and the tub was the old school deep jacuzzi and there was a wall that could act like a grab rail that made us get that room. I loves me some jacuzzis!
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

yeah, she was listening just fine... doesn't mean she can actually do what the SC demands though.

Not sure how the system allowed us to be registered, print out the paperwork and issue a keycard, but somehow it happened.
      sucks for the manager if he has a reservation to fulfill for someone but... that ain't your fault. just means it'll be his responsibility to find them a room now.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
        SC: "You're not listening to me!
        Another SC trying to Jedi mind trick.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Say "you're not listening to me" again. Say. "You're not listening to me". Again! I dare you, I double-dare you motherfer, say "you're not listening to me" one more gn time!!!
          Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            sucks for the manager if he has a reservation to fulfill for someone but... that ain't your fault. just means it'll be his responsibility to find them a room now.
            I used to think that most people on road trips made reservations, but after hanging out here for the past couple years I have changed that thought

We didn't hear any real loud nastiness outside the door when the manager tried it, so I hope it was pretty civil once back at the lobby.

We got a few semi-dud rooms along the way, when you use 16 hotel-nights you are bound to get them. Most hotels have no idea of how to make a truly ADA compliant room so we travel with a shower chair for me, though with the new trend for beds to be like 4 feet off the freaking floor, I think I may need to travel with some folding steps as well. There was one Rodeway in Wyoming that had the most amazing bathroom, it was almost the same size as the room, a *huge* walk in shower with 2 shower heads [one handheld adjustable and one wallmount, both on separate plumbing] and folding shower seat, the ADA compliant tall toilet, space between the shower and toilet for a wheelchair to slot in for transfer, knee cutout vanity, one wall was a 'closet solution' with a tall section and a low section for chair accessible, *nightlight*. I would be willing to move in there if it had a microkitchen as well! [and there would have been room in that bathroom!] That was one of the less expensive rooms on our stay as well.

We had one dumb bunny along the way grump that cripples shouldn't travel when they got stuck behind me crutching my way down a sort of narrow hallway, but most people were rather nice.
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Huh, we had a clueless front desk person who somehow managed to sell a room that was already occupied. Poor man walked into 'his' room to find luggage in there. Then he was accosted by a woman coming out of the bathroom and finding a man in 'her' room. Doing this is supposed to be impossible in the system; we can only figure she somehow checked the room out, then checked this guy in. Which, why you would do that, doesn't make sense either!
              "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

One time we stayed in Cincinnati for a conference that we attend every year and the desk clerk tried three different rooms before she found one that wasn't already occupied. Not sure what the problem was, unless she was new (this was a good fifteen years ago) but it was the last time we stayed there. Once we started having kids we stopped staying over the night before and just got up super early to drive down there. Now I wish we could afford to do that; it's nice to have a night away from the monsters once in a while.

Comment

I once stayed at a motel in Imperial Valley California. The airline had misplaced my suitcase, so I had none. When I checked into the motel I told them about my missing suitcase and that I was expecting it to be delivered. The next day after work, I returned to the motel room to find it had been rented to someone else. The motel staff said that since I didn't have a suitcase in the room they thought I had left. Fortunately they had another room for me.

As for my suitcase, it was never delivered to the motel. The airline had sent it to a local airport, and there it sat. I finally got it back after I had returned home.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Methinks the problem isn't LISTENING, but COMPREHENDING
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth taurinejunkie View Post
                      Say "you're not listening to me" again. Say. "You're not listening to me". Again! I dare you, I double-dare you motherfer, say "you're not listening to me" one more gn time!!!
                      You're not listening to me ain't no country I've ever heard of. Do they speak English in You're not listening to me?
                      To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                        You're not listening to me ain't no country I've ever heard of. Do they speak English in You're not listening to me?
                        DESCRIBE WHAT BHSKITTYKAT LOOKS LIKE!
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                          There was one Rodeway in Wyoming that had the most amazing bathroom, it was almost the same size as the room,
                          I would say, mentally bookmark that place for use -- and reservations ^_^ -- on future road trips. Sounds awesome.

I'm one of those who, while I take very few long trips, I always need to get reservations. I have high blood pressure; that and my meds for same tend to make me light-headed if I am scurrying around, getting into and out of the car ad nauseum to check for available rooms Also, I'm six foot four, so a tall "throne" in the bathroom is heaven for me, as well.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            I would say, mentally bookmark that place for use -- and reservations ^_^ -- on future road trips. Sounds awesome.

I'm one of those who, while I take very few long trips, I always need to get reservations. I have high blood pressure; that and my meds for same tend to make me light-headed if I am scurrying around, getting into and out of the car ad nauseum to check for available rooms Also, I'm six foot four, so a tall "throne" in the bathroom is heaven for me, as well.
                            Oddly enough we generally got a room at the first motel we tried, but we were also traveling generally during the week and luckily other than Key West nothing special was going on anywhere. In Key West we didn't actually get a handicap accessible room, but it was ground level and laid out well, and I could use the doorframe as a grab rail in the john. We decided we really *liked* that motel as well and will definitely book there next trip down there.

Comment

Working...
                            X