This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sad thing is...

I probably would have been liable for this.

So, it's the Saturday before Easter. The store is packed because Easter is also Christmas Part Three. (With Black Friday being Christmas Part One of course)

The parking lot is even worse because everyone is trying to get that coveted spot close to the store. So while driver A is waiting for the spot to open, Driver B is trying to pull out of his space and not crash into Driver A, or Driver C who is waiting for Driver's B and A to get out of the way so she can exit the lane and eventually move on with her own life.

This is making it very hard for me to get shopping carts into the store for other customers to use by the way because I'm mainly trying to avoid getting hit, running into someone's vehicle, or into a shopper on their way in and out of the store.

Now, I could make a jab at the laziness of people trying to park close to the store when there are plenty of parking spaces towards the back of the parking lot. But in some cases I sympathize with them. As jammed as the place was on Saturday, I could sympathize with people who want to minimize the risk of getting run over by parking as close to the entrance as possible, especially if children are in tow.

No, my complaint comes from a very particular customer who was leaving the store. Mainly because this person wasn't even looking up or acting like she was aware of any inconvenience she was causing someone.

I wish I could take a photo of the entrance without incriminating myself. But in most major department stores like The Bullseye, there is a specific entrance that is meant for the long rows of shopping carts. It's a very narrow space divided from the regular parts of the vestibule by railings that unfortunately do nothing to keep people from trying to use the cart door as an exit or entrance.

There I am with a long row of carts, guiding Wally (The motorized cart pusher) off of the parking lot towards the cart entrance, when a woman, instead of using the doors clearly marked exit, bolts right into my path before dashing between the railings and out of the customer's side of the vestibule.

Again, she wasn't even looking up. She didn't even apologize when I called out quite alarmed by the blunt stupidity of her actions. And the worse part is if I had hit her, which I came very close to doing, I would have been responsible.
    Last edited by NateTheChops; 04-11-2012, 08:46 PM. Reason: Removed the part that got cut off.

You got cut off

Comment

cliffhanger!!
      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
      What's the difference?
      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

You got cut off physically and electronically! Yeah, I know what you mean. I've had people cut me off by driving across my path and almost giving me a heart attack.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Hey, you got cut off! And being a cart-pusher myself, I also had to deal with the personal hell of traffic for Easter weekend. Saw a customer almost go flying over the hood of a passing car who's driver didn't want to look where he was going. The customer was okay and everything, but WOW, did he look pissed! All this happened just ten feet away from me.

Due to a customer actually TRYING to run me over about a year ago, I refuse to move my line of carts these days until a certain car in front of my path has already moved. I feel like screaming at the stubborn ones, "NO! I'm NOT going to cross until you move your stupid car out of the way! Just because you're a customer doesn't mean I have to entrust my life to whether you have good driving skills or not! I can wait here all day if I have to AND get paid for it. Can YOU say the same???"

And people think I'M paranoid. Seeing that recent customer get bounced off the hood of an idiot driver made me thank God that it wasn't me.

Comment

Maybe this is one of those "Choose your own adventure" type stories...

If you believe it would have ended tragically, with a full-blown lawsuit occurring, turn to page 65.

If you think it would have equaled customer body parts and guts splattered against the sliding glass doors, turn to page 327.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
              Maybe this is one of those "Choose your own adventure" type stories...

If you believe it would have ended tragically, with a full-blown lawsuit occurring, turn to page 65.

If you think it would have equaled customer body parts and guts splattered against the sliding glass doors, turn to page 327.
              I turned to page 327, but all it said was "turn to page 65" boohoo!
              Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
              What's the difference?
              We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

If you kept your thumb on the previous page, that's acceptable in my book, haha..

Comment

Quoth downforit2008 View Post
                  doesn't mean I have to entrust my life to whether you have good driving skills or not! I can wait here all day if I have to

And people think I'M paranoid. Seeing that recent customer get bounced off the hood of an idiot driver made me thank God that it wasn't me.
                  I'm the same when a car slows down instead of stopping in order to let me across a road etc. If they don't stop crawling towards me I will back up to the very back of the pavement and lean against the wall with my arms crossed until they go away or stop. I won't cross until I'm sure I'm safe to do so!
                  I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Edited that last line out. In my case if I was writing a choose your own adventure there'd really only be one line of choices that didn't wind up in prison, the mental hospital, the prison mental hospital, or the prison ward of a mental hospital. Or death.

Comment

It really sucks that people don't pay attention then when anything happens it anyone elses fault but theirs.
                      I am conforted by the fact that when the zombie apocalypse comes they will be too distracted by something shiny to go after me.

Comment

Today's Special is "Oblivious"

And today it continues.

Well, Actually...

Long row of carts in the parking lot and a father who was busy asking directions from another customer further down the lot. I can't veer the carts any further to the left because of passing cars, but I also can't plow through this guy and his two kids (who are both in said cart) because that would be a felony.

So I stop. He looks at me and very thoughtfully says, "Oh, it's okay. I'll put this back."

Oh, that's cute. You thought I wanted to take your cart, when in truth the only thing I'm waiting for is for you to get the eff out of my way.

Apparently the Cake is not a lie

They have cake day once a month to celebrate all of the employee birthdays in said month. I have to say, I love all of the occasions that get me free snacks and free cake. It's been one of the best things about working here so far.

Because I needed more problems in my life.

I was elected to participate in the store's monthly safety meeting today. And on today's agenda was being reminded that we need to ask parents to tell their children to sit down in the shopping carts, for safety of course.

Of course if I make the request then we're also covered if the kid does fall and hurts himself and mom and dad cry lawsuit. Still, that's the price I pay for honest cake.

Comment

Working...
                        X