This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sucky donators

I don't post much because as a driver, I don't encounter much in the way of customers or donators and on those days I do they are pretty cool. The other day though....

First I arrive at a donation shed. A free standing little shed with a flap window that donators can put their goods through. This guy is standing there his top half shoved through the window digging through the donations. I pulled up in my tractor and trailer and stopped. I waited a good 30 seconds and then pulled on my air horn for 3 seconds. Believe me that sounds like a long time when it's an air horn. Guy starts and pulls himself out of the window a purse in hand. He then reaches back into his car and grabs a bunch of loose stuff he's obviously already pulled out and shoves it back in the shed. He then gets into his car and drives off giving me a thumbs up. Dude, WTF? You steal from my shed and then think I'm like your bud or something because I didn't smack you down or something.

Then I get to the store that I am dropping said shed donations off at. My trailer has a liftgate on it so I can move bins and large containers between the ground and trailer. Some guy pulls right up almost against the liftgate (in the up position). Not quite sure how he got out of the car. Seriously, that big metal plate means that things are going up and down there and that you are in a work zone.

Normally we put up cones when we set up to do transfers. It is amazing the number of people who just cross the line even while the liftgate is moving. Naturally the line when I ask them to stay outside the cones is "I'm just dropping off these donations!" That's good, because we want them, but go around the work area. I am so tempted to put up a rope blocking off the area and seeing how many of them cross that!

Sadly, it has been my experience that some people will ignore anything like that because "it only applies to other people", and they're SPESHUL. Even if the rope/tape cordoning off an area is there to keep people away from a building that's on fire...
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You could have a rope made of warm bodies and people will still push their way through. Dead bodies might stop 'em for a moment, though. But only a moment, because it's in the path of where they want to be.

When setting up the super center at the Wart of Mal (with the store still open and doing business!), dropping the pegboard in the gondolas was a.. matter of when we hit a customer, rather than if. We'd have two people standing on either side of the gondola to keep people from walking UNDER the heavy piece of board but nooooo... they'd walk right under, every darned time. It's really hard to stop a dropping piece of pegboard and we decided screw it, Darwin deserves his day. Only management stopped us, the spoilsports.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Perhaps have someone standing guard with garden hose in hand, ready to spray wayward pedestrians? A good squirt works when I'm training my cat, after all.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          A good squirt works when I'm training my cat, after all.
          You knew this was coming after a comment like that =^_^=
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth CaptainThrifty View Post
            I am so tempted to put up a rope blocking off the area and seeing how many of them cross that!
            All of them.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              You knew this was coming after a comment like that =^_^=
              Nah...this video is more fitting in my opinion.

Set up a few of these and we can start our own Youtube Channel.
              I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

If I see a guy with his torso half into the donation bin, I'd be tempted to shove the rest of him inside.

Normally those who donate don't do that sort of thing, so he must have been stealing instead.
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Working...
                X