This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll Just Break it Then

A regular comes into the shop to pawn a pocket watch. I take a look at it and it's a very cheaply made item with absolutely no resell or scrap value. I inform him that I'm not interested. He gets upset and insists that he paid $75 for it and he only needs $10 until tomorrow. I tell him that I can't pawn it. He claims that he hasn't eaten in days and just needs the money. This is the hard part of my job, I have to say no to him. We're not a charity, we don't receive any government money to feed the homeless, and he has about 5 things in pawn that he was going to pick up "tomorrow" that are way over due.

I offered him a microwave soup I had left over and he refused it.

He says, "well do you have a hammer?"
    Me "Yes we do, but why do you need it?"
    Him: "So I can smash this watch since you won't give me nothing for it"

Needless to say, I didn't give him the hammer and he walked out. If you're just going to destroy it, must not be of much value.

I would have given him the hammer. (-:

Comment

Good thing he wasn't trying to sell sperm!
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Saw a dude break a phone in half when we couldnt activate it for him. It had been in someone elses name and the ESN was assigned. So it couldnt be activated. The manager literally applauded him and said 'good job, now leave before I call security'.

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
          I'd have been afraid of what else he might take the hammer to

Madness takes it's toll....
          Please have exact change ready.

Comment

^ Don't give the angry person a weapon. If he wants it broken, throwing it on the ground and stomping it will do just as well.

Comment

Considering we have glass showcases everywhere, I honestly didn't feel comfortable giving him the hammer.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                Good thing he wasn't trying to sell sperm!
                No. No it's not a good thing.

Because if he had been, and gotten turned down, and used a hammer on those bits, he definitely wouldn't be fathering any more children, and thus further chlorinating the gene pool.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth bubblelittlepally View Post
                  Considering we have glass showcases everywhere, I honestly didn't feel comfortable giving him the hammer.
                  Wisest course of action methinks.
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                    No. No it's not a good thing.

Because if he had been, and gotten turned down, and used a hammer on those bits, he definitely wouldn't be fathering any more children, and thus further chlorinating the gene pool.
                    And that would have been a good thing . . . we don't need any more idiocy being spread around.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I feel your pain, bubblelittlepally... sometimes I HATE turning people away who need a loan, but business is business. I've also offered food or a $5 grocery store giftcard I'd been given that was in my purse - funny thing though, they usually decline... even if they've just stated that they "just needed milk for the kids". I absolutely detest the fact that I have to assume everyone is lying, but it's saved my job, and the shop heaps of money.

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
                        Naw. if he's pissy enough to have a hissy fit on his own watch... chances are he might consider hitting more than just his own property.

things like the other items in the shop... or the employee.

I've also offered food or a $5 grocery store giftcard I'd been given that was in my purse
                        That's also a great way to call someone's bluff. Cos if someone IS starving for food the last thing they'd turn down is a meal.
                        Last edited by PepperElf; 04-05-2012, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                          On the other hand the phrase "Give him a hammer" could have a number of interpretations. *ahem*

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                            ...or WHOM ...

So, uh, yeah. Good call on denying the desperate man a weapon ^_^
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth vloglady View Post
                              If you had a hammer, would you hammer in the morning?

Would you hammer in the evening?

Would you hammer all over this land?
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X