This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new record

At least for me it was a record, yesterday I managed to ruin the vacations of over 200 families! All because they wanted to swim at the busiest time of day and found that the indoor pool was at capacity. I bet I would have broken 500 if we didn't have a thunder storm come through. Yay spring break.

You kept count? You evil villain you!

Comment

I have been noticing how many we ruin here at the college because we shut down the pool when there is a storm.

It never ceases to surprise me just how many people ask why and look confused when you say "Lightning"......"Death".......
      "First time I ever seen a chainsaw go down anybody's britches,"

Comment

Is the lightning/death thing true for indoor pools, too? (I grew up in the desert--very little lightning).
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Is the lightning/death thing true for indoor pools, too? (I grew up in the desert--very little lightning).
          The rule is followed everywhere I've seen. I think the idea is that a nearby ground strike could conduct in and hammer those in the pool. I suspect you'd need a very particular set of circumstances to actually do damage, but it's hard to know how great the risk is, so everyone closes out of better safe than sorry thinking. Or, you know, because their operating permits and insurance companies require it.

SCs, of course don't get that. As usual.
          Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
            You kept count? You evil villain you!
            Right now since we have nice new, big, fluffy towels (which are a whole thread of bitching in and of themselves) we have to sign them out and I was putting frowny faces next to anyone who said I ruined their vacation, at the end of the night I was curious and counted them up, morning shift was rather amused when I explained the markings.

Oddly enough people just kind of pouted a bit about the pool being closed for the storm, usually they get all bent out of shape.

And yes Food Lady, you are still in danger in an indoor pool, the electricity can travel through pipes in the ground or the building, same reason why people are advised against showering or taking a bath during a storm.

Comment

200 ? Wow !!

Well done !!
              Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Quoth Solumina View Post
                And yes Food Lady, you are still in danger in an indoor pool, the electricity can travel through pipes in the ground or the building, same reason why people are advised against showering or taking a bath during a storm.
                Especially since the Chlorine causes the water to have a lessened resistance to electricity.
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Really? I learned something new today!

Comment

Quoth Dark Psion View Post
                    I have been noticing how many we ruin here at the college because we shut down the pool when there is a storm.

It never ceases to surprise me just how many people ask why and look confused when you say "Lightning"......"Death".......
                    Have you tried using the phrase "Crispy Critter"?

Comment

My mother once had ball lightning appear in her house through the telephone wires.

Now she gets all cranky if any of her family dares speak on a landline phone in a thunderstorm. Oddly, I can't blame her!
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                      X