This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just sign the damn card.

I get the paranoia about ID theft, I do. And credit fraud, or losing your savings to someone else, I can understand that as well - one of my sisters was wiped out due to card cloning, although unfortunately for the fraudster she had barely enough in her account to cover the cost of his blank card...

However, by not signing your card you are not helping to keep yourself safe - quite the reverse in fact. If you lose that card, I can then sign the back however I please & pass it off as my own! Of course this only works if the card isn't Chip & PIN, but the cards that my system tells me to check for signatures are primarily chip-less anyway. Funnily enough, showing me your ID from another country isn't a foolproof backup plan either, as I have no way of knowing how genuine it is. Just sign your card, like the company tells you to do - many cards have it written on the back that the card is not valid unless signed anyway!

I had one of these from a gentleman earlier and (due to our lack of a common language) his girlfriend explained that he never signed his cards due to the possibility of someone copying it... I explained it as above ("if you lost this & I signed this, I'd be able to use it unchallenged") and he practically rocked on his heels as the stupidity of his chosen course of action finally hit him!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

And an unsigned card isn't valid. Technically, I believe 'see ID' isn't a valid signature, because it's not a signature.

Good thing you got through to that guy before he got used.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

I once had a customer that got around this by sheer luck, I can't remember his name but I do remember his initials.

ID

And his card was signed with just his initials.
      If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
        And an unsigned card isn't valid. Technically, I believe 'see ID' isn't a valid signature, because it's not a signature.

Good thing you got through to that guy before he got used.
        I've seen a couple of those cards that had "See ID" on the back. And I'll casually mention it to the customer "Oh, I see you have the See ID on the back of your card. Could I take a peek at your ID?"

So far they've been pretty good about it.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I really like the idea a couple of foreign (to me) banks have whereby your picture can be put onto the card; it really cuts down on who can use it! Shame it's not more widely spread - I'd have one, even though I've never had a problem myself, just for the peace of mind!

As for "See ID", that wouldn't fly here in the UK as there's no single universal ID that would be applicable... And besides, as we have seen on here & NotAlwaysRight, the genuine card holders always get confused because why would you ask THEM - it's THEIR card!
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I signed mine and put 'see id' above that. In over 3 years..I've had ONE person ask to see my id, and that was when I was buying cigs for my mom since I was out anyhow. I always get carded if I try to buy alcohol or cigs (always for other people I KNOW are old enough). So..that may not count. Lol.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Okay, I have a question about card-signing that nobody, including my bank, has been able to answer for me. Is there a pen I can use so that the signature won't rub off within hours? It's really irritating to get the lecture as if I'm one of "those people" and it can't be much more fun for the employees who get stuck with having to make me sign the fool thing before they can let me pay.

Comment

A very fine Sharpie? Or does that come off, too. Now that I think about it, none of mine are signed. d'oh!
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

A Sharpie holds up better than most. Let it dry about 5 minutes before you touch it or let it come in contact with you wallet, card holder, etc.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                    A Sharpie holds up better than most. Let it dry about 5 minutes before you touch it or let it come in contact with you wallet, card holder, etc.
                    I've done that and it will hold up longer than a regular ballpoint pen, which has more of a tendency to rub away over time.

Just want to also leave a reminder - although so far this thread is going pretty well - to not let this go down the Fratching path and we end up closing it.

Thanks.
                    Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 04-09-2012, 08:10 PM.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I will sign the back/signature strip and then put scotch tape over it just to hold the sig on longer.
                      I leave the metallic thing alone, and never ever put cards back to back touching the strip. Or use eelskin wallets. Many years of retail have taught me well.
                      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                        I will sign the back/signature strip and then put scotch tape over it just to hold the sig on longer.
                        I leave the metallic thing alone, and never ever put cards back to back touching the strip. Or use eelskin wallets. Many years of retail have taught me well.
                        Eelskin wallets? What do they do?

I signed my card, but as others have mentioned, the signature rubs off. Nobody seems to look where I shop. Well, that's not quite true, I've had 3 people in 4 years ask for ID. I always thanked them.

Comment

Eelskin has a very light elec charge to it. Think electric eels. It might be enough to erase cards, and you never put a wallet on top of an old tv or a monitor.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                            Eelskin has a very light elec charge to it. Think electric eels. It might be enough to erase cards, and you never put a wallet on top of an old tv or a monitor.
                            Actually the eelskin thing isn't true http://www.snopes.com/science/eelskin.asp
                            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Huh Live and Learn, then!

Comment

Working...
                              X