This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's still not funny

I cashiered yesterday. I had a couple in their late 40s or 50s. I asked, per usual, if they had any coupons. It's a courtesy reminder, but people never get this (which is fine if they're just confused & not sarcastic; I explain it). This lady was sarcastic; she repeated the question back to me when all I needed was a yes or no. Some people even say--shocking, I know--"No, thank you for asking. " But this lady seemed to be on the offensive a bit. (Perhaps sick of the question? Deal with it--I have to ask). So my strategy is to play dumb about their annoyance and explain that no, we don't usually have coupons in the store. Professional and polite, no? But hubs decided to be all controlling and say, "Well, a smile would be nice." He was all jokey, but seriously, the subtext is, You will like my wife's joke and smile about it because the customer is always right. I chose to follow the proverb, "A wise man overlooks an insult." I did smile and wish them a good day because it's my job. But I don't like passive-aggressive control games.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

No, it isn't funny, it's bloody rude and insulting. Bet these two gems of brilliant wit can't figure out why they don't have friends any more.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

It would have been funny to reply with a deadpan look, "yeah, a smile would be nice..", or even ask right back in the same manner, "Would a smile be nice?"

Comment

"I will smile as soon as you shut up and leave."
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
          , "yeah, a smile would be nice..",
          ...Do you have a coupon for a free smile? No? Too bad!
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

This IS my smile. :-|

Comment

How do i know this?
              Proverbs 12:16
              "A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult."

Because I find myself repeating it to myself non-stop some days ><
              I hate customers that use 'subtle' mind-games to try to control the direction of the 'conversation'. Too rude!

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                This IS my smile. :-|
                I AM smiling. ಠ_ಠ
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Sounds like the asshole at Subway the other weekend who told the girl behind the counter, when she asked if he wanted anything else on his sub, he said "Maybe a thank you?!"
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

"I've got your 'Thank You' right here..." <lewd gesture>
                    "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X