This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Difference Between Complaining and Bitching

It's never fun dealing with a customer complaint, but they're easier to swallow when they're legit and we have to power to fix it. However, things can and do get ugly, and what starts out as complaining can easily turn into bitching.

Allow me to explain the difference between complaining and bitching. Complaining is when a person voices their displeasure about something that they believe is wrong or unfair, and then shuts up once the problem is addressed. Bitching is when a person voices their displeasure but never shuts up about it, not even when their demands are met; they just go on and on and on, rehashing the same points over and over again, sucking the poor slob that was standing too close into their bitch vortex.

In our shop you can get two different flavors of frozen yogurt in one cup, but you are charged extra for each flavor (up to fifty cents, depending on the size). This extra charge is not shown on the price list, so customers don't realize they have to pay extra until they get to the register. Naturally this has resulted in a few complaints, and I can't say I blame people for complaining about it. But as usual some customers have to go the extra mile to make our jobs just a little worse.

Today it was a soccer mom (aren't they always fun)? When I rang her up she asked why it was so expensive, and when I told her about the extra charge for the half-and-half, she got outraged and demanded to speak to the manager, because naturally it's all our fault the yogurt is so ridiculously expensive.

The manager came up front and this is essentially how it went: "I'm sorry ma'am, I don't know why it's priced like that...I'm sorry, corporate determines the prices, we have no control over them...yes, I will let them know that these extra charges are insane and that customers refuse to pay it...yes, I will refund you the difference...yes, we are actually getting a new sign that will reflect this extra charge, we're just waiting for it to arrive...yes, I do see both charges, that you for pointing them out...yes, I agree we should tell people about the extra charge, I will remind everyone to do so when we're done here...yes, I did get both charges, here's your change and your receipt...yes, it isn't right to not tell people these things...no, we certainly don't want people to think we're being dishonest in any way...yes, ma'am, that's why until we get the new menu with the right prices on it, our servers will explain the extra charges to every customer...yes, I will tell corporate that we will probably lose business over this...

This went on for about five minutes, with the manager apologizing about a dozen times, the poor bastard. I almost felt like screaming "why are you still here?! You got your refund, you got your ass kissed, you got everything you wanted and you're still not happy?? God how I pity your children. Sooner or later you will have to leave our store, but they're stuck with you forever!"

Some people just like to hear themselves talk, unfortunately.

Comment

I wonder what would happen if you put your hands over your ears, close your eyes, and shake your head left to right repeatedly while she keeps bitching, until the noise stops.

Better yet, repeat the same action above but scream like Dustin Hoffman in "Rain Man".

Comment

Some people just don't know how to get out of fight mode. They're so keyed up to FIGHT for what they want that they don't know what to do when you fix it right away.

it's the same reason why some letter-whiners over at PFB ... they get the refund they wanted but they still have to VENT all over a company.

Comment

Nothing can be done to fix my disabilities, but sometimes I just feel the need to scream about them anyway. That's what a pillow is for. I can scream into the pillow, and it doesn't disturb anyone.

Or I bitch to friends and family, letting them know (usually in advance) that I'm just having a vent.

The thing is: yes, sometimes a person needs to bitch. Or scream, or whatever. But polite people are careful about who they bitch to.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I used to work at a Hampton Inn that had a 100% guarantee policy and our manager did not want anyone complaining to corporate, so any little thing a guest complained about they got their room free. And it always amazed me that even after telling them they were not being charged for their room they still kept on complaining.
            "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

Comment

"Bitch vortex" - I will remember that one!

Yes, some people aren't happy no matter how much you do for them. They're like an evil Energizer bunny...they just go on and on and on and on and on and on.....
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I am NOT whining, I am COMPLAINING...

Do you want to hear whining?!
                - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Rarity for the win!

Comment

Lol, I feel the opposite.

I feel bitching is necessary and productive, and complaining is just listening to yourself or others talk about something that no one plans to do anything about.

Bitching, to me, is me and my coworkers taking our break and venting about everything gone wrong today. Complaining is just nitpicking at every little thing you don't like.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Misty View Post
                      I almost felt like screaming "why are you still here?! You got your refund, you got your ass kissed, you got everything you wanted and you're still not happy?"
                      She didn't get everything she wanted. She was probably going for free frozen yogurt for life or an excuse to sue your company and make herself a millionaire in doing so. She couldn't just demand that, of course, so she figured she'd just have to whine until the manager offered it to her.

Or something. I make stuff up.
                      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                      - IPF

Comment

Working...
                      X