X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wherein Uncle Khiras gets his ass kicked

Oh god, what just happened?

I had a very fun shift this week...I was supposed to be working the bar a couple days, but got sick and had to call off for one shift, but I switched my days to come in later in the week to get the hours back...no problem, since the day I switched to was 10x busier, so the extra person was needed for sure. Now, our bartenders also cook the food we serve at first, so I helped out there, than set up and got ready to do the drink thing, same old, same old, no big deal. Anyways, the night is going more or less normally: too many drinks, not enough tips, but I get paid my night auditor rate regardless so it's not as big of a hit to me.

Now, the bar is pretty busy, so we're getting a decent line, but people all seem to be in good spirits and I'm not really getting any SCs. Normally this would be a warning sign for me, but I've gotten so few SCs at this job, I guess my paranoia is all out of whack lately, so I didn't even see this one coming. It all started so innocently:

SC: Hey, do you know about a bar named Charlies?
    Me: Well, I know there's one named Charlies in downtown (city)...I'm not sure about one with the same name up here in (city). Was the downtown one the bar you were heading to?
    SC: I think so...it's a Cowboy bar?
    Me: Sounds like the one I've heard of, half Cowboy bar, half techno/dance bar. One of the more popular gay b-

Hit the lights, something is now wrong. I don't know what just happened, but slowly over the course of the next few seconds I come to several realizations:

One, I become aware that I am suddenly on the floor with no recollection of how I got there.
    Two, I can clearly hear a lot of screaming and shouting.
    Three, my head is pounding.
    Four, I'm pretty sure that someone is beating me up, because it feels like someone just threw a brick at me or something.
    Five, I want them to stop, but I can't seem to remember where my legs are, so I curl into a ball and cover my head instead.
    Six, the floor is wet. Fucking bar floors.
    Seven, did I mention my frigging head HURTS!?

I don't even know for sure what happened, because our cameras don't record audio. I remember starting to tell the guy that Charlies is a Country Western gay bar (and the only bar I know in our area with that name), and apparently something in that sentence hit his rage button. I had the bad timing of looking at the glass I was filling with beer so it wouldn't overflow while I talked to him, which meant the mean right hook he threw came in on my blind side.

Now, I'm not a small guy. I've had to get involved in a few scuffles over the years, and while I'm not fond of those moments, I generally consider myself somewhat able in terms of self defense. That said, when you get cold cocked from a sucker punch, you generally drop like a rock. I was saved from further damage by the fact that the guy tried to dive over the bar to get to me, but his friends grabbed him and stopped him, before running out of the building. Thus far, no one knows who the guys were (they were paying cash) or what the hell set the guy off (no one else was listening to the conversation), but my best guess is he heard me telling him it was a gay bar, and decided that was somehow insulting to his manhood. I mean, that's the reasonable explanation, right? It's either that, or I unintentionally entered the fist catching tournament, since I apparently have a face that looks like it could catch a fist well (and let's face it, you know there are people who have those faces). There aren't many other logical alternatives.

Got some workers comp tests done at the doctor's, and I'm sporting a nice shiner (with a headache to match), but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting from this work week...

On the plus side, several people staying at the hotel all week saw what happened, and they've all given me wonderful tips since then as a consolation prize. I guess there's a silver lining after all...

Edit: I really need a smiley emoticon that has a black eye
    Last edited by KhirasHY; 03-06-2013, 02:45 PM. Reason: Fixing sentences, etc
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Wow. The existence of a gay bar (that he hasn't even been to) threatens his manhood? What The Hell?

A Techno/Cowboy Gay Bar is probably not the sort of establishment that would interest me, but I don't think I'd rip my Yellow Pages to shreds for advertising it...

Comment

Some guys are natural-born assholes. Hope you're OK, aside from the shiner.
      I long to be there when Karma shows up and gives him all he deserves.

Comment

I've got a decent concussion, but I've had them before...nothing like some cumulative damage to make your day more interesting!

I had a screw loose anyway, I don't think anyone will notice the difference.

Comment

O boy. That is one sucky reaction.

and here's a smiley for you with a black eye:

Comment

Ok, I've encountered a few homophobic people before, but never one so violent. Wow.
            Only explanation I can think of is he's heard of the bar as a cowboy bar, didn't know it was a gay bar, and the very mention that it was made him so upset that someone might think he was gay that he had to shut you up quickly, all the while asserting his manhood. Just Wow. Or else he's so far back in the closet the moths have eaten his brain and he panics at the thought of even a stranger guessing his secret.
            Either way (or if he's just a loonie that reacts violently to the word techno) I hope the videos can be used to identify him at some point so he can be arrested (do tell me you filed a police report, please?).
            And I hope you heal quickly, but keep the black eye (without pain) long enough to get some really good tips.

Madness takes it's toll....
            Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Wow. Hope youre feeling better! Sounds like he was offended at you mentioning a gay bar, but really someone with such a short fuse as that, who knows what happened in his tiny brain.

Cops involved at all?

Comment

Wow. An absolute psycho. Glad to hear you're doing OK. As Kaibutsu said,

Some guys are natural-born assholes.
                Hope they manage to ID and catch the guy so he can be charged.

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post
                  since I apparently have a face that looks like it could catch a fist well (and let's face it, you know there are people who have those faces)
                  There's a word for that, in German-- "Backpfeifengesicht." It means "a face badly in need of a fist."

Sorry to hear about this, Khiras. May the asshole who punched you get arrested and end up being the "catcher" in jail.

EDIT: I also wouldn't count this as "getting your ass kicked." By the account you give, you got punched once, went down, and then said Asshole was dragged away by his friends. A better title would be "Wherein Uncle Khiras gets sucker punched"
                  Last edited by Jay 2K Winger; 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                    Or else he's so far back in the closet the moths have eaten his brain and he panics at the thought of even a stranger guessing his secret.
                    Or his friends don't know he's gay - so when our favorite uncle said it was a gay bar, he panicked.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
                      Ok, I've encountered a few homophobic people before, but never one so violent. Wow.
                      -snip-
                      Or else he's so far back in the closet the moths have eaten his brain and he panics at the thought of even a stranger guessing his secret.
                      Oh, they probably are that violent, just better at self control (assuming they are truly homophobic and not just bigots).
                      As far as this gent, I vote massive closet case, that Khiras inadvertently was about to violate the first rule of dealing with someone in the closet, which is acknowledging that you know they are in the closet.
                      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Good freaking heavens, Khiras!! D:

I hope they somehow catch that guy, and give him what for. I'm glad you're okay...aside from the current damage.
                        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Naturally, the police are involved. I'm crazy, not dumb. Well, not TOO dumb. Ok, I'm not excessively dumb.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          There's a word for that, in German-- "Backpfeifengesicht." It means "a face badly in need of a fist."

Sorry to hear about this, Khiras. May the asshole who punched you get arrested and end up being the "catcher" in jail.

EDIT: I also wouldn't count this as "getting your ass kicked." By the account you give, you got punched once, went down, and then said Asshole was dragged away by his friends. A better title would be "Wherein Uncle Khiras gets sucker punched"
                          That's a good word to know. From what I hear they still haven't caught the guy, but in a way, I'm almost glad he just hit me. I've spent many a night at the bar he was asking about, and have tons of friends there...I can only imagine the carnage that could've happened had he walked in and then realized what kind of bar it was. At least with this, there was only one victim. Small consolation.

If they do catch him, he's on the video clear as day (with a few dozen good face shots), so it's not like it's going to be hard to verify he's the right guy. Which is good, because my description of him got a little foggy beyond "white, about my height, suffers from a catastrophically small penis and has to sucker punch to win." (which, btw, were my exact words in description to the cop) Video is nice to have sometimes.

Also, before anyone asks, I don't blame the line of people at the bar for not stopping him...the average age of that group was probably 70-80, so I don't think they had a chance unless one of them was a golden gloves boxer or something.

Edit: Oh, and derp, how could I forget to type this part? Remember how the story started?

I'M NOT EVEN SUPPOSED TO BE HERE TODAY!!!

Comment

Quoth VComps View Post
                            Or his friends don't know he's gay - so when our favorite uncle said it was a gay bar, he panicked.
                            Hmm. My guess is this guy is an out of towner since he wasn't familiar with the place ( or new in town, take your pick), and is such a colossal prick that someone decided to play that line from Police Academy and send him to the local gay bar as a prank.

When he realized he'd been set up, he focused his rage on the nearest object of his wrath: you.

That sucks. I'm glad you're ok.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Holy Cow, that guy is one major douchewaffle.
                              I hope your pain goes quickly (to jail!)

Comment

Working...
                              X