Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I worked at an electronics store, I remember ringing up a fairly expensive purchase for a customer, and he was shocked that there was "extra" tacked onto the price. Turns out he was from Montana (IIRC), which doesn't have a state sales tax. He didn't understand why he should have to pay sales tax, like he had never heard of the concept before.

Comment

Whenever a customer complains about sales tax, I tell them to bring it up with the state/government
      "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f***** customers." - Randell 'Clerks'

Comment

Had somebody complain about the taxes we "never told him about" (5% GST (federal), 5% PST (provincial) for most items) on an item. And said we should be ashamed of ourselves for not having the total tax-included price displayed on the contract he signed.

He's the first person who's ever complained (to me) about this in two years.

No provincial sales tax one province over in Alberta... ~350km away.
        Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

When I was working at the college computer store I had some students come in and loudly complain about the 7% sales tax (1% city, 6% state). They then proclaimed that we should display the "final" price of each item including tax, at which point I said no store does that.
          Gun control is hitting your target; recycling is reloading your brass.
          "It's not our fault the Business School makes you buy those crappy Gateways!"
          "The queue is..."

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
            I mean, where can you go where there's no sales tax?!
            Oregon. Border towns in California/Washington will waive sales tax to Oregon residents.
            Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Depot Denizen View Post
              When I was working at the college computer store I had some students come in and loudly complain about the 7% sales tax (1% city, 6% state). They then proclaimed that we should display the "final" price of each item including tax, at which point I said no store does that.
              Actually, I kind of agree with that, but then I live in the UK so I'm used to having the total inclusive of tax shown, rather than the total exclusive. Since only businesses who are Value Added Tax (VAT) registered can claim back tax, there's no real point.

Minor addendum - certain shops that sell items used to make the lives of disabled or elderly people easier can deduct the VAT from the sale to the customer, but only if they fill in a form with their details & the disability/infirmity. Discovered this when buying stuff for my mum.
              Last edited by greek_jester; 07-25-2010, 12:02 PM. Reason: Can't spell!
              "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Depot Denizen View Post
                Probably because you do have state and local sales tax rates to keep track of, and anytime those rates change you have to re-label every item in the store.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Probably because you do have state and local sales tax rates to keep track of, and anytime those rates change you have to re-label every item in the store.
                  That and there may be state regulations about it. In my state, it's against Department of Revenue regs to post tax-inclusive prices. The only exceptions I know of are gasoline/diesel and cigarettes.
                  "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

I've lived in this state 8 years and I still don't know what gets taxed and what doesn't, regarding food items. Why? Because I don't care. It's a few extra cents or a dollar or two. I can't believe people argue over 7 cents.
                    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

try living in a specific town or village or county. AND that small county pays for the MASSIVE upgrades to the local NFL football temple with huge bond issues AND an extra 0.5% sales tax added on top of the prevailing 5% tax. now that 0.5% tax is only (from my unterstanding) on certain products.

Now try one from a BIG metro area; Chicago. last time I heard (if someone knows different I stand corrected) Chicago was adding like a 1% tax on all hotel rooms, fountain and bottled soda and other various food items. go just outside of Chicago in Cook County and those taxes go away
                      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

The Wasatch Front is terrible for changing sales tax rates, each county sets their own rates, and theoretically each city can set their own rates too (which explains why Riverdale is the largest retail center in the state, because they have the lowest taxes in Weber County)
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                        X