Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mother would have spanked me if I'd pulled stuff like that as a young kid. She had no qualms about doing so when needed. Then when I got too big to spank, she started using...THE LECTURE!

The lectures were worse. They'd go on and on and on...one time, I took off my belt and held it out, saying, just hit me and get it over with!

Years later, we could laugh about it.
    Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Quoth lobo94 View Post
      The lectures were worse. They'd go on and on and on...one time, I took off my belt and held it out, saying, just hit me and get it over with!
      OMG!!! I thought I was the only one who'd ever done that!!!

My father could drone on for HOURS about my behavior. I swear that half the trouble I stayed out of in high school was because I didn't want to risk The Lecture.

I didn't realize it at the time, but I married a man with the same philosophy. Now my children are begging for a spanking instead of the dreaded lecture.
      Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I know the feeling! I never quite understand the people who try to say that their parents were strict, because they got grounded, or smacked. Those are LIGHT punishments, anything* is better than a lecture.

*Within reason, no abusive behaviour, etc, I'm not intending to downplay the fact that there are worse things, just that there weren't worse things that my parents would consider remotely appropriate.

Comment

Warning: Motherly bragging about to occur

My children may not be perfect angels, but they're well-behaved enough to be allowed in public. We stopped by a Boston Market the other day and my 8 year-old son excitedly asked for one of the fruit smoothie things they're advertising. I said no, we couldn't afford it, and he responded with a shrug and a little "oh well" and went to pick out his meal. When we got to the register, the cashier had a free smoothie waiting for him. She was so accustomed to hearing obnoxious brats whine and throw temper tantrums over not getting the smoothie that she was impressed enough with my mild son's behavior that she felt he needed to be rewarded.

I try to teach the kids that they don't just get in trouble when they get caught doing something wrong, they also get rewarded when they get caught doing something right. I especially like it when the reward comes spontaneously from outside the family.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth boringscreenname View Post
            Gee I wonder where the kid learned such behavior? I bet he's witnessed mommy dearest throw similar tantrums before.
            I wouldn't be surprised to learn that she'd even given him some coaching before going in.

I like to think that I would have given the mother an earful if I'd been there to witness it, but I'm more likely to have turned to my wife and made some rather loud comments about poor parenting or something.

I wonder what she does when the kid turns that kind of behavior back on her... If he hasn't done it yet, you can bet he will eventually.
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

My kids get the pre game talk in the car.

Me: Where are we going?
              Kids: Kmart (for example)
              Me: And am i buying anything for you guys today?
              Kids: No.
              Me: Thats right, so are you going to ask for anything?
              Kids: No....

Then and only then, do we leave the car. Lol. It works (mostly)

Comment

I, too, have begged my parents to spank me rather than lecture me. (Though Mom used a flexible piece of Hot Wheels track, not a belt--ouch!) Once my parents discovered that I would dissolve into tears at a lecture, they never touched me again. I also didn't dare do ANYTHING that could POSSIBLY be disapproved of because I hated that my parents could make me feel so horrible.
                It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

My parents never spanked/hit us, but they sure as hell kept promises. If we were misbehaving there would be consequences. If we behaved we got privileges. I think it generally worked.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                    My mother, God rest her, had a very simple solution to me or my siblings throwing a fit. The back of her hand. Worked wonders. Of course, with me, she only had to SAY she was going to, although one time she did, and yeah, it taught me a lesson! You did NOT mess with my mother!
                    Yup. Though with me it was a spanking.

She only had to actually carry through with it once!

After just that one time even the threat of it, spoken calmly, casually, as if it were no big deal, was enough to get me to stop throwing a tantrum.

The ego of a tantruming child, or a tantruming man-child is a fragile thing.

Comment

My kids never let me forget how strict I was. (I was the "evil step-father" but all I ever did was support the rules their mother set for them. They could get away with breaking them with her, but never with me.
                      They way they never let me forget how strict I was is what makes this tale: they remember it by thanking me for being that way. Now that they are adults, they realize they are better people because of it. And that's why they think of me as their father instead of their step-father. Their genetic father is a good friend of theirs, but I was more of a parent. (And my daughter wants me to walk her down the aisle instead of him - if and when that ever happens!)
                      I will not be pushed, stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own. --#6

Comment

Quoth ZedOmega View Post
                        Anyone else have this pop up in their heads?

I sure did...a male Veruca Salt. *shudder*
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

According to Ma Zel, I only pestered her for toys/sweets/whatever once. In that incident, she just turned around and said "We're gonna discuss it once we get home!" while giving me the patented Mommy Stare (TM). Now, my mom didn't practise spanking, but I knew that once i got the Mommy Stare, I'd better shut up and behave immediately. Ma Zel sure knew (and still knows) how to stare down a child into submission

Once we got home, she sat me down and told me that I could be assured that if I ever pestered or threw a fit while in a shop, I definetly would NOT get any treats that day.

So come next shopping day, I behaved like a little angel, and Ma Zel sure could see I was expecting some sort of treats as a reward... so she bought me a toy, but made sure to tell me that I couldn't expect a treat every time we went shopping. I acknowledged that, and that was the end of it.
                          Last edited by NorthernZel; 07-14-2010, 11:32 PM.
                          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

My mum would have given me a smack for that kind of behavior described by the OP! I simply would not have dared be like that in public.

My mum once dragged me by the arm all thru the mall, cuz I stood still and refused to move; the aching arm I had after reminded me to do as I was told afterwards. Also, my dad once threw my little brother over his shoulder and carried him to the car, locked him in, and left him there after he misbehaved in a shop. Plus, I and my other brothers got sweets and he didn't, cuz he'd been naughty.

My parents used smacking until we got to the age of reason, and even then only as a last resort. They hardly ever had to resort to it; the threat was enough.
                            People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                            My DeviantArt.

Comment

Can't remember from me as a kid.

however, from the other side of the counter, I'll reward kids with a sticker if they behave or they help their parents with the shopping. Alternately, it also works as a distraction
                              These particular stickers are white, so I joke to the kids that they're Iron Man/Woman.
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                                I wonder what she does when the kid turns that kind of behavior back on her... If he hasn't done it yet, you can bet he will eventually.
                                It'll happen, sooner or later.

It's always amusing to see people who were spoiled...have children that behave *exactly* like they did when they were younger. For example, my cousin (insert Jerry Springer-type stereotype here), has a young daughter that she, and her grandparents, spoil the hell out of. There's no toy that this child doesn't have. She's rude to most people, and will throw a tantrum when she doesn't have something. Oddly enough, it's exactly how her mother was to most people...except towards yours truly. How did I get so lucky? Simple--I punched her in the face when we were 5

But, what comes around goes around. Sooner or later, those children will flip out at the wrong time. I'm sure their boss will appreciate it when they can't borrow the company jet
                                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                                X