This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entitlement and a food pantry????

This is my first Sucky Customer type post, wasn't exactly sure where to put it however. If this is the wrong place, please let me know, and I will contact a moderator to politely ask it be moved to the correct place.

Ok thanks to the economy the lines at the pantry when they give out food is LONG (they do this every Thursday). Well there was some technical difficulties and the person who started the pantry was late, about 2 hours late. People had been standing in line all that time. Then they had to stand in line while we got everything ready. Despite that, everybody was in a fair mood. It wasn't too hot out or raining or anything (thank goodness).

Now my job (after helping get everything ready) was to stand at the entrance, count people as they come in, and hand them 1 bag for the FREE groceries they would pick out (it was first come, first serve..and two BIG companies (one starting with a K, and one starting with a W) gave generously). Some however are prepicked. Those were for the ones that didn't want to go through picking and choosing for health reasons or whatever. Anyhow...

A big fancy pickup truck pulls next store to the pantry and parks. No problem, this pantry doesn't turn away anybody, regardless of wealth or lack thereof. A guy I will call 'Colonel Sanders' (cause that is who he looked like) or CS for short gets out and heads straight for the door. Ignoring the line that had been waiting out there for a LONG time.

He pushed aside an elderly lady, and tried to get in. To find me standing in his way. This is the discussion that followed.

Me - 6', 265+ VOLUNTEER (this is important)
    CS - 'Colonel Sanders'

CS - Get out of my way *beep*, here for the food
    Me - There is a line, go to the back of it.
    (I motion for the people to keep coming through, handing them bags and counting it. Everytime he tries to get past, I am right there blocking him)
    CS - I'm just going to get one of the prepackaged bags. Now move out of the way you <Long line of curse words, everything BUT a white male type of thing>
    Me - No. People have been waiting here for hours, you will not just butt in line.
    (Note: During this whole time (with some hickups) the line is still moving).
    CS - Listen here lacky, you don't tell me what I can or can not do. I am <such and such>'s (think it was a governor or mayor he mentioned> brother.
    Me - (Not impressed, at all). That is fine, you still need to go to the back of the line, no exceptions.

About this time the person in charge comes up to see what the commotion is. I stay close, but go back to my main job, to keep the line moving. (Person in Charge will be known as PIC from here)

CS - You need to Fire that THING *points to me*. I don't have time for this.
    (Line is getting short by this time)
    PIC - First, he is a volunteer, and second he was right. There is a line for a reason.
    CS - I'm here, the food is there, 10 seconds and I am out of here.
    PIC - That is true, but his assignment is also to keeping people from pushing their way through the line.
    (Line is pretty much gone)
    CS - Listen here I am <such n' suchs> brother. I am getting my food, and you really need to fire that <long line of cursing> THING and ban them from this place!
    PIC - *Hands him a bag of groceries* Everybody is welcome here at all times, even him. Even people like you, who think they are better then everybody. Have a good day and god bless. (as he is guiding them out the door). *Closes the door (because everybody was done by then) and locks it. Turns out the outside light*

CS stands out there with mouth gaping for awhile, not quite sure what just happened. Finally moves away with a very confused look on their face. All I have to say is I had to give PIC even more respect after that. PIC is a priest, and we have many discussions about religion. He knows he isn't going to convert me, but he isn't very judgmental either. Heck some of the best debates and good times I have are with the people who run/volunteer regularly at that pantry (who are mostly members of PIC's church). They give me a hard time for not being a christian, but in a playful manner.

((This came about from another thread about a food pantry, and wasn't sure where to place it))
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Pwnage from the priest! I love it. That was a brilliant way to handle it.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

If he really is Mr Fancypants' brother, does he need food pantry assistance?
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Well, no he doesn't NEED it. But it's FREE. And therefore he's ENTITLED TO IT.

Because his brother might or might not be someone who could maybe possibly be in a position with a debatable amount of hypothetical power.
        We are actors! We are the opposite of people! -Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

All we can do is hate. And they ALL deserve it.

Comment

Hmmm... Are there any confidentiality rules at the pantry? If not, I'd send a little email to your local news crew about Mr Fancypant's brother using the food pantry. Make sure it includes his EW attitude about cutting in line and using his brother's name as leverage.

Public shame may not be a big deal to CS, but I'll bet you it is to a politician.
          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            I doubt it. I've yet to see PIC turn anybody away, regardless of income level. He is classy like that. Since nobody is ever asked what their income is, everybody who comes gets something. Not sure how PIC manages to get the local companies to give so generously, but they do. I've had some rotten dealings with charities, but having seen first hand how this one is handled, it makes one want to be part of the solution..not part of the problem.

I think I like the idea of sending it to the papers. I just have my doubts that whoever CS is related to has any idea how they act. I think I will let them know.
            Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

I seriously doubt this SC was related to anyone of importance. Some people just toss out names to see if they can get away with it. They succeed often enough to keep doing it.

But a quick internet search might find out the truth, especially if you are able to get a license plate number, in which case EE's suggestion really does make evil sense.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

That entitled suckwit made me sooo mad! I'm sure he REALLY needed that food; probably feeding it to the dog, but hey, he can still say that he got FREE FOOD!
                "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
                  That entitled suckwit made me sooo mad! I'm sure he REALLY needed that food; probably feeding it to the dog, but hey, he can still say that he got FREE FOOD!
                  judge not lest ye be judged....I knew a very wealthy woman who went to the local food pantries-the money she would've spent on food went to various animal and childrens charities(local no-kill shelter, shriner's hospital/st Jude's)-we're talking $300-$500 a month or more to charity-if she had bought groceries it would've been less than $100-ya never know*.....(local pantries could buy 2x as much with $100 than you or I could-special pricing at certain stores)-though he was most definatly a major d*ck for trying to bypass the line....and having a horrible attitude.

*just because someone has a "famous" sibling doesn't mean their sibling will help them out, plus having a nice vehicle does not mean they have money-it may mean they have a large monthly payment to make, could be all they have-and may be trying to sell it with no luck because they just lost their job.(and having a "famous" sibling that won't help them for whatever reason, can make someone a right prick-though it's not an excuse for bad behavior at all)
                  Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 07-18-2010, 04:18 PM.
                  Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Maybe the so-called famous sibling is sick of them, too.
                    Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

I would have been tempted from the first rude moment to take his hands in mine and say loud enough for everyone to hear. "Oh!? You are here to donate food? Bless you sir, must be in such a rush because you need help unloading your truck."

It's easy enough to mistake...

I give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but if you are rude I may not play fair.
                      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
                        Maybe the so-called famous sibling is sick of them, too.
                        If I was famous and had family throwing my name around, I wouldn't deal with them either.
                        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
                          If I was famous and had family throwing my name around, I wouldn't deal with them either.
                          Ah, but a famous sibling, especially one in politics, can't afford to let some jerk sibling throw his name around... it's the price of playing politics.
                          Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                            plus having a nice vehicle does not mean they have money-it may mean they have a large monthly payment to make, could be all they have-and may be trying to sell it with no luck because they just lost their job.
                            Sadly true. One of the guys I knew in HS was the son of a repo man. The worst people, and the people they had to visit most often were in the new upper-middle class developments. They spent so much on the image (house, big SUV) that often they didn't even have power in their house because they couldn't make payments.
                            We are actors! We are the opposite of people! -Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

All we can do is hate. And they ALL deserve it.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                              Ah, but a famous sibling, especially one in politics, can't afford to let some jerk sibling throw his name around... it's the price of playing politics.
                              Agreed. And if he's lying about being related (which I strongly suspect) then reporting this still gets him in trouble _fast_. No politician can afford to have their name blackened, but being blackened by somebody claiming to be a relative earns them a visit from Moose and Rocko (cookies for the reference).

Comment

Working...
                              X