This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arguing about sales tax

I stopped by the gas station near my store to satisfy new new-found addiction for orange icees. While I was filling my cup, there was a guy paying for a fountain soda at the register. The sodas were on sale for $0.99, but since they are "intended for immediate consumption" they are subject to sales tax in this state, so it came to $1.06.

SC: The sign says 99 cents!

Cashier: Yes sir, but there's tax as well.

SC: No there isn't.

Cashier: Yes there is. This is considered "prepared food" so we have to charge sales tax.

SC: How did you "prepare" this? It's just a soda! Sodas aren't taxed!

Cashier: Because it comes form the fountain, sir. It's the same as if you went to a restaurant.

SC: No!

Me: It's the LAW!!!!!

At this point he just dropped the extra money on the counter and walked out.

Cashier (to me): What a friggin' moron!

Me: I know, right? But what can you do?

I paid for my Icee and made sure to wish the cashier a good day. I'd have suggested this forum to her but she had more people to wait on and I didn't want to waste any more of her time.

Oh, and as a "fun" added side-bonus, the moron in question nearly backed his van into my car when I tried to pull out. Fun times.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Sales taxes are non-negotiable. Any moron SHOULD know that..lol.

Comment

Yes, but as I believe Irv once said, every time you think the morons have hit rock-bottom, they break out the pickaxes and dynamite.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        Sales taxes are non-negotiable. Any moron SHOULD know that..lol.
        Guess they weren't just any moron!

Johnny, play me off!

Comment

I recently had a lady threaten the BBB on us because we charged tax.

There's another level of suck that Dave failed to address. The SC was arguing over $0.07. SEVEN F***ING PENNIES!!!
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Very true.

I also have to wonder how fast this guy's head would explode if he ever tried to get just ice from there. They charge $0.50 for a cup of just ice. I bet he thinks the ice and cups are free.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Tax, it's the law. I don't make the law, <company> doesn't make the law, we just follow the law. Deal with it.

Comment

It's amazing how many people argue about sales tax. Unless you have a tax exempt thingy, you're not immune to them!

Comment

And why do they act so surprised when they get charged sales tax? I mean, where can you go where there's no sales tax?!

(I know clothing in PA doesn't have it, but everything else does. In spades!)
                  Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

Certain towns don't have it, for example one in my state where there's a mall 5 minutes away no matter where you are.

Comment

Quoth Exaspera View Post
                      And why do they act so surprised when they get charged sales tax? I mean, where can you go where there's no sales tax?!

(I know clothing in PA doesn't have it, but everything else does. In spades!)
                      Some states have no sales tax at all. They make it up in other taxes.
                      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Depending on where you live, the sales tax can change by the town (where I lived in high school, there were state, county, and municipal sales taxes), by what you buy (there's no tax on clothes or grocery foods here, but where my parents live, they tax clothes but not groceries, and where my sister lives they tax both), or both (some areas have lower sales tax to try to encourage people to spend locally and not in NYC).
                        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Where we live, we have sales tax, but if you're from a tax exempt state, the retailer can choose to fill out the paperwork and exempt you from the tax. No law says they have to give an exemption, and if it's for immediate consumption, then there's no exemption anyway.
                          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
                            Where we live, we have sales tax, but if you're from a tax exempt state, the retailer can choose to fill out the paperwork and exempt you from the tax. No law says they have to give an exemption.
                            Even if it was possible in Mass (it's not), there's no way anyone would go through the hassle of actually doing it, especially not for an SC arguing over seven cents.

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

and in some states that soda would taxed regardless of being in a cup or a bottle.

in the cup - the prepared food tax
                              in a bottle - deposit tax + additional tax if it's not a diet.

death. taxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X