Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech Support shenanigans - Language warning!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Support shenanigans - Language warning!

K. I understand that most customers are techno illiterate. When I call in to the cell phone company using internal lingo from having worked for a cell phone co for a while, and explain what's going on in tech support terms, it's usually quite clear that I do, in fact, know what I'm doing. When you ask me to power cycle my phone, and I explain that I've already done this, and reiterate that data services have never worked on this phone since I started using it 3 hours before, and OAP failed, forcing manual programming, don't you DARE yell at me.

Tech: Could I have you power cycle your phone.
    Me: Already done. I did that before I called in.
    Tech: Could you remove the battery from your phone.
    Me: Yeah, already hardshocked too. Remember, data services have never worked on this handset. OAP failed, so the settings likely didn't get set.
    Tech: JUST DO IT AND HUMOR ME!!!
    Me: O_o ...ok.

Of course, the power cycle didn't fix it. After a bit more argument, she gave me the manual EVDO settings, like I asked at the beginning of the call.

...so you know what? After the epic with Qwest, and now Sprint, I'm ready to either have the wife call from now on, or just shut my brain off before I call in from now on. I'm not pre troubleshooting when I call in any more. I'm not getting yelled at, threatened, and grumbled at just because I know what the fuck I'm doing. Fuck you. You want a brainless customer? You got it.

I'm going to be 'that customer' that writes "click" on their monitor in sharpie when told to right click something.
    I'm going to be 'that customer' that uses their dvd drive as a cup holder.
    I'm going to be 'that customer' that calls in screaming about a defective computer when the power's out.
    I'm going to be 'that customer' that uses win95 and insists it's just fine, and your service will work with it, and I will be your worst nightmare.

</rant>
    Coworker: Distro of choice?
    Me: Gentoo.
    Coworker: Ahh. A Masochist. I thought so.

s/win95/win3.1/

I've actually done that. It worked.

Comment

I guess the techs don't like it when you know as much, or moar, than they do. :-p
      Dull women have immaculate homes.

Comment

That bit was actually more about the old customers I used to deal with who insisted their 12 year old computer and OS was "just fine" and it's been "just fine" all these years and "why do you people demand I upgrade when I've never had a problem with it."

It wasn't directed at the more technically literate folk who actually could make it work.

and, afair, win3.1 had no TCP/IP. May I ask how you got a 3.1 machine on the internet?

Quoth Exaspera View Post
        I guess the techs don't like it when you know as much, or moar, than they do. :-p
        Yeah...True geeks use those who know more than them to better themselves. I don't tell my chiropractor how to fix my back. I listen to his suggestions, read the posters up on his walls, and learn. Why would tech support be any different?
        Last edited by Midorikawa; 07-22-2010, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
          I'm going to be 'that customer' that uses win95 and insists it's just fine, and your service will work with it, and I will be your worst nightmare.
          Why would you do that to yourself? That's just self-mutilation, with no gain. That's just... why?

Quoth Midorikawa View Post
          and, afair, win3.1 had no TCP/IP. May I ask how you got a 3.1 machine on the internet?
          You're right, it didn't. Trumpet Winsock could get you online, though.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
            You're right, it didn't. Trumpet Winsock could get you online, though.
            that's right! I knew that, because I used it once or twice. I just haven't used it since 1994 or so, so it's not exactly fresh in my brain. :-P

Comment

Yep, it was Winsock. And WIN32S.

I used 3.1 because the machine - a 486 built from the cheapest parts I could find at a computer fair - was a bit too small for Win95.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                ...a 486 built from the cheapest parts I could find....
                Would that be like the Trash80 with the 40 Meg hard drive that, at the time, we thought was holy steaming hot sh*t? You could play Leisure Suit Larry without changing out the floppy disks! WOOOO!

Comment

Not at all - I had a budget based on a whip-around to build something to get somebody online. I just-about managed to stay within the budget, although I had to replace the hard disk I got since one of the heads was dead, and with only three-quarters of rated capacity (60MB down to 45MB) it wasn't quite big enough to hold everything that was needed.

At the time, I was already using a PowerBook and a Quadra, and some people I was living with had a Pentium-MMX and a Pentium-II. So the 486 wasn't as huge a downgrade as it would seem today, but it was definitely bargain-basement material. I think it had been used by a secretary at a small business beforehand.

Eventually the person got their own computer and I got the 486 back. I then used it to experiment with Linux at university. During that time I replaced the 486SX/25 with a 486DX/33, but the m/board would only run it at 25MHz. Having an FPU helped though.

I put in a little of my own money at that computer fair to buy an extra Model M keyboard from the same stand as I got the hulk of the 486. Only £1 each! Those things are worth quite a lot now. Only trouble is, now I only have one working cable between the two keyboards.

Comment

Working...
                  X