This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My car accident

I kind of want to write this out. Please note that this stuff hasn't been very processed yet by the insurance company so I'm keeping some personal details out of it. I did get the heebie jeebies scared out of me!

Ok. I was taking my kid to a museum, but the place was on the other side of a lake, and I needed to take a freeway to cross the lake and get to the city with the museum in it. I was driving on a freeway and needed to exit to get to the freeway that crossed the lake.
    The weather was ok, kind of nippy cold, but not frozen at all. Coming from Freeway A, I went down that exit and changed lanes to get onto Freeway B. The onramp to Freeway B was a bit of a hill. As I changed lanes, I think (not sure) hit the gas a bit to go up the hill. Going up, my car started fishtailing, nose to the right, tail to the left. I steered and tried to correct it, but over corrected it and then did a 180* with my nose hitting the left side. And the airbag went off. (I'd never had that happen, I'd only seen the crash dummies get those. It sucks) There was a bit of smoke/fog coming out from under the hood close to me. I was totally perpendicular to the road, I blocked the whole thing. Started calling 911.
    2 vehicles started coming up the ramp and realized I was in trouble (duh). One guy asked me if I was ok. I said yeah, and he left. My door was stuck a bit. I had to push it pretty hard to get it open. And at the same time my kid was hollering because he was scared. We were ok though. I kept trying to get the 911 operator to understand where I was, and it didn't work. The 2nd car that was there called them too.
    I got out of the car, got Kid out of the car, and the gent from 2nd car came by to help, talk to me a bit. His wife had pulled flares out and was waving them to ward off incoming traffic (thank you lady!)
    Although I wasn't hurt and Kiddo didn't seem like it, I still had the fire department come by, just to cover our asses. I told Kiddo we had owies and that Mommy's car had owies. A BIG owie. State trooper showed up and started taking statements, moved my car over.
    Kiddo and I got to sit in his car, he checked up on my insurance and crap, and took us back to Kiddo's. What a cool trooper Car got towed to a lot, I got a ticket, and a ride back to Kiddo's place.

As soon as I got back, my ex asked me "Do you want me to drive you to the mall so you and Kiddo can spend more time together?" He didn't like my answer. *snort* "It's just a car, it's just a car"..He didn't like my response to that, either.

The car's nose is smooshed in, both headlights are mashed/torn. Front panels are broken, hood might be damaged, and the trunk (I think) might have a boo-boo. I dunno if the frame is damaged, if it is it's a very small tweak to fix. Overall, we're ok. But I'm so PISSED about my car! My freedom is gone!!!!!

I believe the car will be towed to a shop by tomorrow, and an estimate will be done. Please god let the car be fixable. And of course I have no idea how long it will take. Plus, no rental reimbursement. FFFFFUUUUUUU. It's all bus rides from here on out til car is done.
    I know, I know, I'm alive and not hurt that much. I'd already done that check and assessment in my head when we crashed. And I've been thankful for it too. But god damn motherfucking son of a douchebag, My Car Is Broken. I don't think Ex gets how pissed and unhappy I am.

Tomorrow's plan is to go to a walk-in clinic about a mile away and get my neck checked on; there's a crick in there that won't stop.

I just don't need this shit happening! RAWR!
    Last edited by Der Cute; 01-15-2013, 01:27 AM. Reason: add title
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

i'm glad you're safe!

and yeah, car damage sucks still. am hoping it's easy fixins for you

plus, ... yeah i can understand being upset. not just because the car is broken but because you were in an accident. that will unsettle just about anyone.

Comment

Update:
      I got the car damage/repair estimate back. I really want to cry.
      I think I'm fucked. Before the accident, Kelly Blue Book had the car value around $8000. Maybe $8500, depending on where and what stuff you had on it. The estimate says the repair will cost $10000 (10 K!). My deductible is $1000; so the insurance company would have to pay $9000. I have not heard anything (since the estimate came to me tonight), but I am freaking.out.now. If the car is totaled, I think I'd get the $8000 for it. I'm not sure. This is all new territory for me, and I'm scared, to be honest.

But so far, Pemco, my insurance company, has been super super helpful, easy to work with and overall cool.

As for me, anxiety for driving has not shown up. I've had about 2 dreams so far about car crashes, but pfeh. Anyone driving with me as passenger, I've not freaked out or been upset. Taking things day by day, using breathing/relaxation/distraction and exercise has been wonderful. But I'm still upset.

Comment

I have the feeling they'll just total it....I can't see them paying 10k to repair an 8k car.

<big hugs>
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          I have the feeling they'll just total it....I can't see them paying 10k to repair an 8k car.

<big hugs>
          Echoing Seraph on this one. When I had my accident, the repairs were twice what the care was worth at the time. So I got a settlement check for the KBB value, minus my deductible. About a month later, I got a check for the deductible itself as it was recovered from the other driver's insurance. You most likely won't get that since no one else was involved in your accident.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
            I can't see the insurance company spending more than the car is worth. They'll simply cut you a check for whatever amount they deem the car is worth, and write it off.

For example, when I had my wreck with the Tempo, the car was only worth about $500. To get it fixed, the body damage alone would have cost thousands. I mean, the right rear door was tipped upwards at a 45-degree angle (because the rear fender had been forced forward...twisting that door, and jamming the front one as well), the trunk wouldn't open, never mind the bumper, lights, all the other parts back there. To fix all that would have been about $2,000 in parts alone! Never mind about painting everything to match. Throw in the trashed (read: blown up) engine, and the total fix that heap could have easily been about $5,000 So when I was presented with a check for roughly $2k, I was ecstatic. Turns out that even though the KBB value was only $500, the car's value (as parts) was a bit higher. The front end of the car (minus engine) was still in good shape, and so was most of the interior. I'm sure the insurance company made out by selling the car to a scrapper. When it was all said and done, I took the insurance money, and put it towards half of a used Tercel instead.

With that said, I can understand why you're pissed. Losing one's independence really sucks! So did the 'reliving' of the wreck. For awhile, it was truly fucking scary--it was like it was constantly happening. In my mind, I'd see the engine fail, the temperature gauge go to red, and then get the "oh shit, I'm going to get fucked up" feeling...just as the truck hit me. An endless loop of that, in fact It was like I was an observer, and not being able to do anything.
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

When I was hit, the repairs were actually just a little bit less than the value of the car. They still totaled it, however, because it was less work for them to hand me a check than for them to have it repaired. I was actually pleasantly surprised, as the check they gave me was more than I paid for the car in the first place; it was the nicer end blue book price, not the actual value of the car itself.

As for re-living the wreck, I had an accident once where my car did a forward flip off the side of a freeway. It was a relatively damage-free result (some bruises and muscle strain, and the car was towed off, never to be seen again since I wasn't willing to pay the outrageous fees the non-AAA truck wanted to charge me >_< ), but for the next year, I couldn't play any games that involved the point of view going upside-down in any manner as they'd give me flashback vertigo. The then-hubby, who was with me in the car, suffered no such issues, however.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I recently almost totaled my car. The insurance company told me they'd total it if the estimate for repairs was equal to or greater than 80% of what they would pay me for the car. I think I just squeaked under that threshold, so I got my car repaired.

Comment

I'm really sure the company will total it. But why take my deductible out of the settlement (assuming they total it), does anyone do insurance/know this stuff here? I've accepted that it's dead, and tbh I don't want it if the frame is THAT damaged.
                  Can you read this here? (go to bottom!)
                  https://www.dropbox.com/s/i1k54drwyl...e%20Edited.pdf

Friend was telling me that if the frame is that damaged, there is metal fatigue in other parts, the effort is a PITA to fix it.
                  So now I'm sniffing around Craigslist etc to find a similar car for settlement bargaining (hey, one talent I have is bargaining!) and to see what kind of car I could "possibly" get. Did you know that a 2005 Corolla is the same price/market value as my dead car??? Wow. And if I go back about 2 or 3 years older than my car, staying with the specs of my car, it drops about $3000. Hehe. *rubs hands*. And yes, I could just go find a beater with a heater and save $. So many choices.

Comment

Looking at your estimate, it appears that the damage is mostly superficial. They'll have to swap some panels and bumpers before prepping the car for paint. Panels, unless they're welded, are usually pretty easy to swap between cars. Towards the end, I see that the doors are to be taken apart and put back together. With some finishes, especially metallics, you have no choice but to do that. Otherwise, it's a bit obvious that the car has been repainted--the panels might be slightly different shades. The problems with the door--hard to open, for example--could simply be from the fenders getting shoved backwards a bit. Once the doors are re-hung, and the panel gaps adjusted, you should be OK.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                      I'm really sure the company will total it. But why take my deductible out of the settlement (assuming they total it), does anyone do insurance/know this stuff here? I've accepted that it's dead, and tbh I don't want it if the frame is THAT damaged.

Friend was telling me that if the frame is that damaged, there is metal fatigue in other parts, the effort is a PITA to fix it.
                      So now I'm sniffing around Craigslist etc to find a similar car for settlement bargaining (hey, one talent I have is bargaining!) and to see what kind of car I could "possibly" get. Did you know that a 2005 Corolla is the same price/market value as my dead car??? Wow. And if I go back about 2 or 3 years older than my car, staying with the specs of my car, it drops about $3000. Hehe. *rubs hands*. And yes, I could just go find a beater with a heater and save $. So many choices.
                      Bear in mind my experience was with my insurance company at the time (AAA). It might be different with yours. But my understanding is that you would have to pay some money towards the claim you put in. Notice on your estimate that you'd have to pay a deductible for your repairs - again, YMMV on that. They may waive it. This is something that you need to talk to your agent about.

It's not surprising that a dead car is worth as much as one that still runs. There are still parts that they can take off the car, though with the damage I'd be hard pressed to figure what though. Maybe scrap value? IMO, it might be a good idea to talk to someone at the shop and ask if the frame is bent. Get a professional's opinion on this before making a decision.
                      Random conversation:
                      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Update again.

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                        Did you know that a 2005 Corolla is the same price/market value as my dead car??? WAS Wow. And if I go back about 2 or 3 years older than my car, staying with the specs of my car, it drops about $3000. Hehe. *rubs hands*. And yes, I could just go find a beater with a heater and save $. So many choices.
                        Sorry if I wasn't clear. The market value of car BEFORE the crash was around $8500 (I think/guess). I'm saying that Corollas of that year and OLDER are that same value $8500! Huh? 2 years older than my car and still costs that? Jeeez. I drove a Camry. Same age as my car would cost $8500 or more. A Corolla - one size smaller costs the same damn thing!
                        I have no idea what the $ to me is going to be, so it's going to be hard to guesstimate what I can and cannot purchase. I have no cash saved up, so whatever I get is the car that I can purchase for me.

I learned this today, by speaking to the guys @ the shop:
                        Although Insurance Company is dealing with me, a third party will come to assess what the car HAD BEEN worth. Looking at the dings, scratches, etc, that's what 3rd party looks at, along with my specs. Camry LE, stock specs, average value across the market. So let's say my car was worth $8000, in MY calculation. (go to edmunds.com it helps you with that with "condition of car"). Ok. I think it's $8000. Now, 3rd party will see those dings and scratches, and calculate? what that would be, average. (I'm not sure average in state or city or what).
                        This means My Calc of $8000 probably won't equal 3rd party's calc. Then after that, there would be some salvage value of car (have no idea what that is), and my deductible.
                        What I think the shop meant to me: 3rd party's assessment + salvage - deductible = what I might be offered.

Oh, the car isn't cosmetic - there's frame damage up top. I spoke to the shop guy about that too, he agreed with me that the front end was not sitting right. (one side was a wee bit higher than the other side, frame damage, on a unibody plus the trunk end. I think with the first impact it kinda bent the body into a small c )

I went to the shop today to pick up my stuff out of the car. Did you know that your car gradually grows stuff in it, and you don't realize it? I had jumper cables (yeah), tools, cookie pan, extention cord, art paper, a scale, coffee machine thingy, gym bag, toaster oven...all that crap plus more in it!!!! and all the CD's left in the car...a small floppy disk..about 3 pens. Stuff like that.

Sigh. One step accomplished, few more to go this week.

Comment

Yay!!!!

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                          Update:
                          I got the car damage/repair estimate back. I really want to cry.
                          I think I'm fucked. Before the accident, Kelly Blue Book had the car value around $8000. Maybe $8500, depending on where and what stuff you had on it. The estimate says the repair will cost $10000 (10 K!). My deductible is $1000; so the insurance company would have to pay $9000. I have not heard anything (since the estimate came to me tonight), but I am freaking.out.now. If the car is totaled, I think I'd get the $8000 for it. I'm not sure. This is all new territory for me, and I'm scared, to be honest.
                          But so far, Pemco, my insurance company, has been super super helpful, easy to work with and overall cool.
                          Oh my fucking god. Oh god. I never would have dreamed this!
                          The total car repair cost is/was around 11K, the pdf at the end shows this. The car's street value, after assesment, is 10K. Wha-whoa? I got a call from insurance this morning, saying that after the assessment from the 3rd party, my car was deemed worth 10610.22. (the .22 is cute, imo). What? When I did this online at edumnds.com I guessed the car was around 8500. Heh, guessed wrong!
                          So that 10K minus my deductible is 9060. Holyfuckingshit.
                          Everyone had told me "get ready to bargain" "lowball offers" "do homework to argue your side". I had all that lined up and ready to go. Guess I don't need it!

Now it's time for car shopping....

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                            I recently almost totaled my car. The insurance company told me they'd total it if the estimate for repairs was equal to or greater than 80% of what they would pay me for the car. I think I just squeaked under that threshold, so I got my car repaired.
                            This is pretty typical. I seem to recall that the cost of repair when I had my accident was something like 84% of the value of the car. The insurance company totaled out the car even though I'd only had it 17 days.

Quoth Der Cute View Post

Your deductible is the amount of liability you assume if the car is in an accident.

Your deductible is $1000, so the you're responsible for the first $1000 worth of damage whether it is totaled or not.

If the car were repaired, you'd be on the hook for $1000. Since the car is being considered a complete loss, and you have assumed responsibility for the first $1000 worth of damage, the amount they pay you will , reduced by the same $1000.

In my case, the body shop bought my car and rebuilt it. I had an automotive engineer come take a look at it before making the decision on whether to buy it back or not and he recommended that I don't do it. Although I was hit from behind and there was no apparent damage to anything in front of the B-pillar, the chance of unseen damage to other parts of the car was too great.

Without seeing pictures, it is hard to judge just bad the damage is.

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                            Oh my fucking god. Oh god. I never would have dreamed this!
                            The total car repair cost is/was around 11K, the pdf at the end shows this. The car's street value, after assesment, is 10K. Wha-whoa? I got a call from insurance this morning, saying that after the assessment from the 3rd party, my car was deemed worth 10610.22. (the .22 is cute, imo). What? When I did this online at edumnds.com I guessed the car was around 8500. Heh, guessed wrong!
                            So that 10K minus my deductible is 9060. Holyfuckingshit.
                            Everyone had told me "get ready to bargain" "lowball offers" "do homework to argue your side". I had all that lined up and ready to go. Guess I don't need it!

Now it's time for car shopping....
                            This is an excellent outcome! I'm glad to hear it. Good luck with the new car hunt.

I too was surprised with the settlement offer on my car. (I actually came out ahead.)
                            I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

Working...
                            X