Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Me Help Mom. (Stepdad Would Be Very Grateful!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Help Mom. (Stepdad Would Be Very Grateful!)

Here's the deal. My mom recently had to have surgery on her foot. Well, two surgeries because the doctors didn't get the first one right. Anyway, because of that, she is not really able to get around like she normally does, nor do many of the things she normally does.

Including cooking.

This is where I point out that my Stepdad, who is a great guy, is a typical guy in the sense that He Can Grill, but actually cooking and preparing meals? Not so much. Not really his strength, nor is he really comfortable doing it.

Now, both of these fine folks are perfectly fine with crock pot meals. Hell, I was raised on them myself. So what I am looking for is some crock pot meals that are somewhat simple to prepare, either so that Mom can prep them while sitting at the table, or so that Stepdad can prep it at all.

Naturally, there is a catch: my parents have some restrictions with their diet. They are, after all, 77 and 81. Despite their ages, they are not doddering old folks; normally they go to the gym 3 times a week, and before this surgery, my mother had never needed anything like a walker before. (She needs it only because she can't put pressure on the afflicted foot.) You know those old ladies in grocery stores in the motorized carts? Yeah...not my Mom. At all.

So, here are the restrictions we must adhere for the meals, some of which are really foreign to me, which is why I am appealing to you folks for help.
    --Nothing overly spicy...Mom has never been fond of spicy foods.
    --No garlic or onions. Their bodies can no longer process these items. (I KNOW, I KNOW! )
    --Little to no red meat. Lean beef or lean pork is fine, but they have been on a low fat diet for a long time now. Because of the surgery, Mom needs some more protein than she normally does, to help in her recovery, but they still don't want to overdo it with the red meat. (Poultry and fish are absolutely fine; fatty sausages obviously are not.)
    --Despite needing more protein, Mom hates beans. Yeah, I know. Doesn't make it easy.

My parents like to eat healthy (far healthier than me), and often use turkey bacon or turkey substitutes for other meats.

In any case, does anyone here have a good crock pot recipe that will fit all these requirements? You'll make me look like a hero to my parents, which in turn will make you MY hero.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Last night I make squash casserole in the crock pot. You take 2 cans stewed tomatoes with the liquid. One can corn and 2 yellow squash and 2 zukini squash quartered and chipped into small bite size peices. Combine with one package of cream cheese and a cup of shredded sharp cheddar and let cook till the squash is tender. Some browned ground turkey goes well in to but I was making it for a vegetarian so I skipped that step. I served with gluten free rolles I had made but I used to make pilsbery biscuits. Quick easy healthy dinner.

Comment

Here's the websites I use for crockpot recipes:
      http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
      http://momswithcrockpots.com/

There's a good variety and if a recipe calls for onion its possible to just remove it, for instance I THINK the chicken and dumpling recipe on moms with crockpots calls for onion, but I could see making it without.

Comment

Here is one that I make for Little BIts that she loves and takes back to college with her.

Boneless Chicken Breast, Chicken broth, carrots and celery cooked on low and then add some brown rice about an hour before dinner.

Comment

While this isn't a crock pot recipe, A can of hormel turkey chili without beans and white rice makes a good meal too . If you want to add a vegetable like corn or peas to it then you can.

I normally make the rice with a rice cooker and then scoop the cooked rice in a bowl, then portion some of the chili from a can to the bowl of rice and mix it up as the hot rice can heat up the chili.

Or if they want the chili hot anyway, zap it in the microwave. I just like adding the chili straight from the can to the rice since it cools down the rice a little and heats up the chili at the same time so no burning the tongue.

Comment

honestly boneless skinless chicken breasts plus almost any sauce, also works in a frying pan really easily.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I love my crock pot, I really do. Really.

I just have to remember to turn it on before I leave for work.

(That was a very sad evening when I got home to a large raw pot roast.)

Comment

Caffeinated Caramel, I appreciate the thought, but chili is usually spicy, and just about guaranteed to have garlic and/or onion in it, so it almost certainly won't work for the parental units.

But I appreciate all the suggestions, and please keep them coming....plan on emailing Mom with a bunch of them in a day or two.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

My dad will do his "mystery casserole" from time to time.

He'll pick a meat, add a few vegies and another sauce of some kind and then let er rip for a while. His mixes have had mixed results

Might be something to try?

Also, I'm not 100% sure if Maggi exists in the US, but near the Herbs and Spices section in most supermarkets, there should be some of those "flavour" packagings that give you a list of ingredients you need and a recipe. I know that there are a few out there that are designed for slow cook and you could always adapt those. (there are a few other brands but my memory fails me nao)
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Pasta dishes can be very easy, and seem to fit the diet profile quite well. This probably doesn't count as a crock-pot recipe, but it's just as simple.

Boil sufficient water in a large saucepan (experience will show how much, to begin with err on the high side), adding a bit of salt and a dash of olive oil - these help to stop everything sticking to the pan. When it starts to boil, turn down the heat to half or a third, whatever will just keep it simmering later.

Optionally add chick peas that have either been soaked overnight (if bought dry) or rinsed (if bought tinned). They're technically a type of bean, but they're not *white* beans.

Add dry spaghetti, penne, twist, shell or macaroni and ensure it is completely covered with water. About a pound should feed two adults reasonably. Spaghetti will need some coaxing to fit entirely in the pan as it softens, so suggest trying a different type first - twist or macaroni are good choices to start with.

Cover the pan with a loose-fitting or vented lid and simmer gently for however long it takes for the pasta to cook. The type I use (which is *not* a fast-cooking type, I don't see the point of that) takes 7 minutes. The packet will probably indicate. After the first minute or two, gently stir once to relieve the pressure from the initial swelling and stop it all sticking together.

When done, remove from heat, stir again, drain using a colander. Transfer drained pasta back to saucepan to mix in choice of sauce.

Sauce choices include pesto (a little goes a long way), any of the great variety of tomato-based pasta sauces on the market (use a whole small jar or half a big one, heat it slowly in a small pan starting at the same time as you start to boil the water), or even a bolognese mixture which includes ground meat. Instructions for cooking bolognese are beyond the scope of this recipe.

Alternatively you can mix in cold tinned sweet vegetables at this point, such as peas and sweetcorn, and drizzle a small amount of olive oil on top. Don't forget to drain and rinse the vegetables first - you can use the colander and cold running water for that, just like the chick peas.

Then just tip onto plates and serve with a fork. And the plate part is optional if you're a bachelor.

If the pasta *does* stick to the pan in large quantities despite the salt and oil, then try a different brand of pasta. For some reason a few brands are very bad for that.

Comment

really easy and can be a LITTLE spicy if you use the exact reciepe...but here is mine altered to my tastes.

2 - 3 uncooked chicken breasts, cut into bit sized pieces (more if you wish of course)
                      1 can cheedar cheese soup (undiluted)
                      2 cans stewed tomatoes (orginal reciepe called for mexican style, I use itilian style, but choice is theirs) undrained
                      1 cup frozen corn ( i tend to use a can of corn, drained, since I keep it on hand)

after you cut the chicken up, toss everything in the crockpot, give it a quick mix, cover and cook on low 4 hours or high for 2.

Some older/newer models tend to run to hot or to cold, so keep an eye on the chicken.
                      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Not crock pot recipes, but two of my favorite recipes that require very little work.

Fiesta Soup
                        1 can of shredded chicken, drained.
                        1 can of refried beans
                        1 can of black beans, drained
                        1 can of corn, drained
                        1 can of chicken broth
                        OPTIONAL:
                        1 can of tomatoes

Dump said ingredients into a soup pot, heat 15 to 30 minutes. Serve with salsa, cheese, and sour cream to taste. Makes a yummy soup.

Casserole
                        1 pound ground beef (can easily sub lean ground turkey)
                        1 8oz can tomato soup
                        1 8 oz can cream of chicken
                        1 8 oz can cream of mushroom
                        OPTIONAL: Can sub cream of celery or really any cream of to taste
                        1 8 oz bag of wide egg noodles

Prep the noodles as normal. Brown meat. Dump all ingredients into casserole dish. Heat at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes. Also very yummy. This has been a family favorite for as long as I can remember.

Comment

I like to just put a whole chicken in the crockpot and besides the onion and garlic that I like I also add some chopped celery (with the leaves) and maybe some chopped carrot. Add any herbs or spices you like (not too much salt though) and maybe a bayleaf. Then pour over it a small (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes. Let it cook all day and then debone when the chicken is done (or use boneless chicken pieces).

On the first night I just put this chicken & sauce over rice.
                          For another meal I use it in enchiladas, or burritos with cheese, or even tacos.
                          For a different meal you can heat up chicken broth, veggies and a little rice. When the rice and veggies are done add the chicken and sauce and heat for a tasty soup.

Comment

I'd go with crockpot chicken, turkey breast or diced pork.

First, marinate the meat for about an hour. Just lemon is, well, good, but lemon + oil + vinegar + other herbs is better. (I usually marinate the meat in lemon + pesto, but since garlic is out of the equation...)

Sear/brown the meat. Add diced or roughly chopped veggies/roots (potatoes, carrots, parsnips, bell peppers, what ever you like). Add a bit of water so the water level is approx. half an inch around the meat. Let simmer for about an hour (more if it's a whole chicken) - remember to give it a stir (or give it a turn if the meat is a whole piece) now and then.

If the meat is a whole piece, take it off the pot and let rest for about 15 minutes while you use the water (which now is a broth) to make a gravy. Make sure to seep off the veggies (or maybe puree them) before that. If the meat is diced, either take off a bit of the broth to save till another meal or thicken it with cream or corn starch.

Serve with rice/pasta/mashed potatoes/stirfired veggies/whatever you like.
                            Last edited by NorthernZel; 01-17-2013, 08:48 PM.
                            A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Not a crockpot recipe, but it does make a quick and tasty soup, good for lunch or supper...

Speedy minestrone - Empty a 400g can of chopped tomatoes into a saucepan. Add a litre of hot vegetable stock and bring it up to the boil. Add 350g of frozen mixed vegetables (I use a mix of peas, carrots, sweetcorn and green beans, but you can get different combos). When the soup starts to simmer again, add 100g spaghetti broken into short pieces. Stir in a tablespoon or two of tomato puree, and season to taste with black pepper and maybe a little salt if wanted.

When the spaghetti is cooked and the vegetable are tender, serve up with a swirl of pesto and a little parmesan (if you like).
                              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Working...
                              X