Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Me Help Mom. (Stepdad Would Be Very Grateful!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really know how long to cook any of these recipes because we just put them all on low for the whole work day and come home to dinner.

Crockpot Chicken

-whole roasting chicken with gross inside stuff (neck, liver, etc) removed
    -poultry seasoning
    -veggies you like, such as carrots or potatoes

Cut up veggies into bite sized pieces. Place on bottom of crockpot. Put chicken on top, breast side down. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning.

Rosemary Chicken (good over pasta)
    -1 lb chicken
    -1 tbsp dried rosemary
    -0.5 tsp salt
    -0.5 tsp pepper
    -3 tbsp olive oil
    -3 tbsp white wine (or chicken broth)
    -2 tbsp water

Dump it all in the crock pot. Make sure each piece of chicken is covered, as it's more like a marinade than the typical soupy stuff.

Salsa Chicken
    -1 lb chicken
    -enough salsa to cover the chicken with a thick layer
    -a few shakes of cumin
    -a few shakes of chili powder
    -a few shakes of lime juice

Cover the chicken with everything else.

Sweet and Sour Chicken
    -2 lb chicken
    -0.3 cup soy sauce
    -0.3 cup packed brown sugar
    -0.25 cup water
    -0.25 cup apple juice (original recipe calls for sherry, bleh)
    -1 tbsp ketchup
    -0.5 tsp red pepper flakes (easy to omit)
    -2 chopped green onions
    -2 tbsp cornstarch
    -1 tbsp water
    -2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted in toaster oven for a few minutes or in dry frying pan until they smell delicious

Mix everything through green onions together and cook. When it's done, remove chicken (slotted spoons are great for this). Mix cornstarch and water together in a seperate bowl, then add to remaining sauce. Put crockpot on high for 10ish minutes and stir constantly until the sauce is thickened. You're looking for a sticky-ish sauce like you would get from a restaurant. Top chicken with sauce and sesame seeds.

Comment

Baked "fried" chicken:
      Chicken breasts, about 4 or so for you
      Crunched up corn flakes
      little bit of milk
      little bit of egg
      350* oven.
      8x8 or 9x13 glass pan.
      Spray glass pan with non-stick
      Wash/clean chicken.
      Put milk in one bowl, about 1/4 cup.
      Egg in another bowl, one egg. Mix that egg.
      Have a 3rd bowl with curnched up corn flakes (no sugar)
      Roll the clean chicken in the milk, then egg, then the cornflake stuff.
      Put into glass pan.
      Repeat for all 4 chicken pieces.
      Bake 45 min at 350*, may want to put foil over top to not dry out. Remove foil at the last 10 min or so for crunchy.

Remove from pan, and pat onto paper towel to remove any excess, unwanted fat.

Goes good with mashed taters, or rice.
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I find a lot of good things on allrecipes.com (use the reviews for suggestions on how to make recipes better too), but here's a good crock pot recipe for my Creole Chicken:

(Note, this recipe is written out for 8 servings, so modify it downward as needed)

Ingredients:

8-12 boneless chicken thigh filets
        1/4 pound cooked Virginia ham, cut into one inch cubes
        1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Optional, I often use more and use a 28oz can for this size recipe...comes out juicier and we love tomatoes!)
        1 green bell pepper, chopped
        6 green onions, chopped - I know you said no onions, but I'm listing the full recipe for anyone who wants to try it Sub in some fresh cut chives for your parents here and it should work OK.
        1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
        1 teaspoon salt
        2 dashes hot pepper sauce
        1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
        1/2 pound Polish or Italian sausage, sliced diagonally (I tend to use a spicy Italian sausage myself)
        Optional: 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced

Directions:

(OPTIONAL) - Cover the chicken thighs in a spice rub; http://www.savoryspiceshop.com/ has some great ones. I prefer their Cajun blackening rub, or their Peruvian Chile Lime rub for this recipe, but they're not required.

1. In a slow cooker, place the chicken, ham, tomatoes, bell pepper, green onions (or chives), tomato paste, salt, sausage and hot pepper sauce . Cover, and cook on Low for 4 to 5 hours. No need to stir while cooking.

2. Combine water and rice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes until done. (any instant rice works, just follow directions for the amount of water. If you have a rice cooker like we do, that works even better)

3. Mix the cooked rice into the slow cooker. Cover, and cook on High for 15 to 30 minutes. The rice should absorb most of the liquid from the tomatoes when it is done.

From there, just serve with some sour cream (if you're worried about it being too spicy) and dig in. The upside with this is that you control the spice...the hottest I've made it was using ghost pepper salt, habanero sauce, and a special super hot Italian sausage, but when I make it with just a tiny bit of sauce and normal sausage, it really doesn't have much kick at all. It's also easy to make, and the leftovers are even better the next day.

Enjoy.
        "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
        "What IS fun to fight through?"
        "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Working...
        X