This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing

I am currently in the process of writing a novel. Actually a series of novels, in the same vein as Left Behind, but with some major differences on plot and character. If anyone has any suggestions for things that would contribute to a *possible* collapse of the U.S. economy, or that of other developed nations (UK, Aus., etc.) I would appreciate it. Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.

If you want credit, I would be happy to do so, please just inform me in what way (initials, frist name, first name and Last initial, etc.)

I am doing my own research, and just because you make a suggestion, doesn't mean I'm going to incorporate it.

Also, know that I under no circumstances want this to go into fratching territory. If you think it might, please PM me instead.

Also, please be aware that my novel may NEVER be published.

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Hm...any number of things could contribute to a major collapse of the US economy. What you'll need to decide is timing.

OWS could become so popular that work stops. Economy collapses.
    Martial law is enforced for some god awful reason. Economy collapses.
    Industry moves out of the country permanently. Economy will eventually collapse.

Frankly, you can come up with any major economic move and realize a change of events which could lead to the US economy collapsing. But timing is important. Why? If the US were to collapse now, we'd probably take the world with us. China, India, and the rest aren't quite in position to take over our superpower role. So we go, everybody goes. If that's the intent, great. If not, then you'll have to establish in your book that there was a period of decline for the US in which another nation took on being the superpower and then the US collapsed.
    Last edited by Kheldarson; 11-12-2011, 07:27 PM. Reason: marital =/= martial
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
      Marital law is enforced...
      I have to go back to my ex?
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

This is what happens when I write stuff right after waking up >.< Fixing.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Judging by what's currently happening in Europe, the Euro going under/various people resigning/the EU generally going bad...pick your cause! Bad debts (mainly Greek and Italian), the Germans not wanting to bail anyone out (sensibly), banks lending too much, everyone getting a bit worried and making everything worse...I don't know that much about economics but everything happening over here seems to be contributing.
          I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
            Frankly, you can come up with any major economic move and realize a change of events which could lead to the US economy collapsing. But timing is important. Why? If the US were to collapse now, we'd probably take the world with us. China, India, and the rest aren't quite in position to take over our superpower role. So we go, everybody goes. If that's the intent, great.
            Would be perfect for a world leader to take over everything, with promises of a better life.

Isn't that how Hitler got Germany?

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Comment

And a virus that kills. It could easily be mistaken for the 'rapture'.
              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                Except instead of a bunch of empty, driverless cars on the road, we'd have a bunch of cars with rotting bodies inside? Or would they be zombies by then... hmm...
                "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                  Would be perfect for a world leader to take over everything, with promises of a better life.

Isn't that how Hitler got Germany?

SC
                  Close enough. But yeah. Timing is everything.
                  My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                    I have given serious consideration to having a false rapture in my book, but have decided against it at this time. However, my idea of the rapture is different (especially as far as timing) than LaHaye and Jenkins.

BTW, I have a fairly extensive outline for how I plan the destruction of the US, but I'm just looking for other suggestions, to broaden my perspective.

For example, a presidential assassination leads to martial law (actually in my outline, in much greater detail). I actually break down the various laws that will be affected, and how.

My biggest problem is the build-up to the world leader (how he takes control). I felt the scenario in Left Behind was a little too contrived (not on the RADAR, to national president, to head of UN in a matter of 2 weeks).

SC

Comment

I would say---and this is frighteningly likely--that economic crisis would lead to collapse. Basically, the money situation--the US government currently doesn't make enough to pay even the interest on its loans. So here's a possible scenario. China, affected by the economic crisis, decides it has no choice but to call in its loans. The US is forced to default, leading to the global banking community collapsing like a house of rotten cards, as the European markets collapse as well, their governments already broke and dependent on US and IMF aid that no longer exists. The value of fiat currency (IE, any money not backed by gold, silver, or some other tangible commodity, in other words, just about every country's,) plummets to almost nothing as nations print more money as a "temporary" solution. Facing worldwide hyperinflation, the US, the EU, and most major powers' governments collapse, either because they simply cease to function without money or due to massive civil disorder.

Comment

Too bad Die Hard already used the 'fire sell' way..it is a very good way for the US to go belly up. Somebody hacks the stock market, electrical grids, and communications grid. Disables them all, economic collapse happens pretty quick.
                        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          I have to go back to my ex?
                          Actually, one of Margaret Atwood's books (The Handmaid's Tale) is about a group of fundamentalist Christians (?) who take over the US. Women who have divorced and remarried have their current marriages declared void and are sent off by the government to do things. Their children are taken away to be raised by people who are favored by the government. I don't quite remember how they took over, but it happened during a time of war and I think assassinations were involved.

Comment

Working...
                          X