This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day My Brain Broke

This is my most potent tale, and I'm telling it first. This does not necessarily bode well for our hero.

Oh well.

So, I work at Target. Every year after christmas, most - if not all - of Domestics goes on clearance. One day, about three years ago now, I'm sitting there, grudgingly rearranging the stuff on the shelves to make room for more (if you're wondering why it was grudgingly, ....well, not to be rude on my 2nd post ever, but YOU try doing it for 8 hours >.<), when a guest approaches me.

"Hi," she says cheerfully, "I was wondering if you could tell me how much this was," indicating a pillow or blanket or sheet set or something like that that she was holding.

Now, you have to understand - when the ENTIRE DEPARTMENT goes clearance, not everything in the department is going to get marked correctly - or even, in some cases, at all. This being the case, it's totally understandable that she'd want to get the price checked before lugging it up to the register, and heck, she's being pleasant enough. I have no problem with this at all, so I return the smile and say, "Sure, just follow me right over here," as I walk towards the price scanner located 3 aisles down. (That's FINE that she didn't see it. They can't see the AISLE NUMBERS, we can't expect them to see the admittedly smaller-than-they-used-to-be price scanners either. /rant)

She notices where I'm heading.

"Oh, I already tried that, I just didn't like the price it gave me."

zbuh?

My brain. She is le broken.

After puzzling over it for about a year or so, I happened on the possibility that maybe - just maybe - what she was hoping for was that I'd randomly guess a number that was lower than the number the thing scanned in at, and that she could then go up to the register and say "But the guy back there SAID it would be ___", but after 7 years in retail, I honestly don't think that was the case.
    Typos make me [sic]

Pretty certain she wanted you to cry, and proclaim, "This set, she is on sale for 99% off! In fact, we will be giving it away to you, just because you happen to be the eight-thousandth b*tch to ask for cheap stuff! Aren't you lucky?"
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
    X