X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
    Southern girl but she doesn't comprehend 'chicken fricassee'
    Interesting....Sounds good, but totally different from how I've ever had it -- then again, mine is either a family variant or a cajun variant -- Make a medium brown roux, add water, add skinned chicken and any spices desired, cook over really low heat until the meat starts to pull itself off of the bone (several hours). Then again, my idea of salisbury steak is totally divergent, too, even tho it comes from way up north (Atlanta) -- make burger patties with salt, pepper, egg, sear patties over high heat, drop into undiluted, condensed cream of mushroom soup, cook for a few hours over low heat (just enough to bubble a little) . That stuff spoiled me, when I look at "traditional" SalSteak (patties in this sad, thin beef gravy and the occasional overcooked mushroom), it's just not the same

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
    The recipe calls for set amounts of different ingredients, then adds, "A swirly-squirt of ketchup." Yep, real precise there.
    I'll have you know that that is a perfectly cromulent kitchen measurement a swirly-squirt is about half of a dollop and a bit more than a plain squirt ^_^
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      Interesting....Sounds good, but totally different from how I've ever had it -- then again, mine is either a family variant or a cajun variant -- Make a medium brown roux, add water, add skinned chicken and any spices desired, cook over really low heat until the meat starts to pull itself off of the bone (several hours). Then again, my idea of salisbury steak is totally divergent, too, even tho it comes from way up north (Atlanta) -- make burger patties with salt, pepper, egg, sear patties over high heat, drop into undiluted, condensed cream of mushroom soup, cook for a few hours over low heat (just enough to bubble a little) . That stuff spoiled me, when I look at "traditional" SalSteak (patties in this sad, thin beef gravy and the occasional overcooked mushroom), it's just not the same

I'll have you know that that is a perfectly cromulent kitchen measurement a swirly-squirt is about half of a dollop and a bit more than a plain squirt ^_^
      Being classically trained in old school french cuisine, my chicken fricasse frequently is made by poaching chicken in court bouillion, deboning and cutting into pieces and putting it into a modified sauce allemande [no mushroom essence] in a puff pastry shell with baby sweet peas or asparagus tips, and occasionally baby corn cut into coins. My salisbury steaks are 'meatloaf mix' [1 third each beef pork and veal] mixed with browned onion bits, fairly finely minced before sauteeing in butter, pepper, a tiny amount of nutmeg and an egg in a sauce bordelaise [scroll down, espagnole is the mother sauce for this one]

I will comment that most people think that the fancy french sauces are hard to make, but if you check out the concept of mother sauce, you can premake them and freeze them in small amounts and use them to make other sauces on. It just takes a bit of freezer space, though you can commercially source demi-glace which is the base for many sauces. Demi-glace Gold is a reasonable one. Although I do feel that everybody should be able to try to make a few classic sauces from scratch at least once in their lives so they can taste what the cheap commercial products are actually supposed to taste like.
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

My favorite typo of all time came from a sushi restaurant Nurse Betty took me to in Phoenix. One of the table tents listed various rolls the restaurant had, and one of them contained carp...which was listed as "crap."

Yes, I took pictures.

Quoth NotMyProblem View Post
        it wasn't a typo, however my dad was notorious for leaving out key seasoning, if he did give out a recipe of his creation....
        I have done this intentionally, actually. There are about 3 or so recipes in my arsenal that are, to be frank, MINE. And I ain't sharing them. So when a friend of mine recently asked me for my (award-winning) chili recipe, I laughed at her. She asked for at least some hints, so I gave her the basics, but made it really clear that while I "aggressively season," I sure as hell wasn't telling her with what.

My chili, my recipe, my rules. This also applies to my spaghetti sauce and my German stew.

That being said, most of my recipes I will share.

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
        The recipe calls for set amounts of different ingredients, then adds, "A swirly-squirt of ketchup." Yep, real precise there.
        I actually have such "measurements" in some of my recipes. As cited above, my chili recipe actually reads "aggressively season with..." and then lists the seasonings I use.

Also, for some other things in the chili, I have measurements such as "two circles of" (meaning pour it twice around the top of the chili) or "a palmful of" which is pretty self-explanatory.

Quoth MadMike View Post
        Not exactly a typo, but I almost ruined a recipe because I didn't know what a clove was.

This recipe in particular called for two cloves of garlic. Somehow, I thought the whole thing was a "clove", and got two of them.
        I have known a few people to do this.

For the record, the entire bit of garlic is called a "bulb."
        Each of the variously-sized sections within the bulb is called a "clove."

Garlic is one of my base ingredients. I know a LOT about it.

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
        The recipe called for separated eggs. He had no idea how one separates eggs...
        While I understand the concept of separating eggs, I have never actually separated eggs. Of course, since I cook and don't bake, this is rarely an issue. (For the record, I have never made a hard-boiled egg, either.)

Quoth Pagan View Post
        I wouldn't worry about it either, cooking is not an exact science. Watch Rachel Ray, she rarely measures anything. Baking is the only thing you need to be somewhat precise on.
        One of (though not the only) reasons I don't bake. I just cook. It's not only far more forgiving, it allows for far more creativity and artistic license.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          One of (though not the only) reasons I don't bake. I just cook. It's not only far more forgiving, it allows for far more creativity and artistic license.
          This is the reason I'd really like to take a science of baking class. I love cooking, but I really love baking, and I'd like to be less tied to specific recipes.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            As for short cuts, that was my speculation. For example, the recipe calls for the oven temperature to be reduced twice. Maybe they didn't do that. Or they used the wrong kind of cheese. I know if I use too much cheese, they don't rise properly. It is a simple recipe, but some people can mess up boiling water.
            I was thinking about it and I wonder if they might be adding all the eggs at once? That right there would get you in trouble.

Anne Burrell was making churros this morning and she made her choux pastry with milk instead of water. I need to try that.

Quoth EricKei View Post
            I have seen some measuring spoons for a "dash" and a "pinch"!

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
            This is the reason I'd really like to take a science of baking class. I love cooking, but I really love baking, and I'd like to be less tied to specific recipes.
            May I recommend a book? "Julia's Kitchen Wisdom" by Saint Julia Child, of course. It's got the very, very basic recipes for things that you can then build off of once you get some experience. It's got all the mother sauce recipes, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Julias-Kitchen...0539901&sr=1-1
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              Great holiday gifts for your favorite clueless home cooks!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                Doesn't "dollop" mean: Go put on some makeup?
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                  Doesn't "dollop" mean: Go put on some makeup?
                  ...Isn't a "dollop" what they call you when you have *too much* makeup (and maybe too little in the way of clothes)?
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    ...Isn't a "dollop" what they call you when you have *too much* makeup (and maybe too little in the way of clothes)?
                    That would be "trollop."
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                      We have those. They're adorable.
                      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

That would be "trollop."
                        The female of the species "troll".
                        [/Discworld]

... so where's mine?
                        Last edited by dalesys; 11-07-2011, 08:41 PM.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

That would be "trollop."
                          We are aware 8p

The comment was kinda ShelDale bait anyway (edit): it worked ^_^

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            The female of the species "troll".
                            [/Discworld]
                            Also in Another Fine Myth.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                            X