Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girl Crappola Involving Bras (opinions please!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't wash my bras in the sink, but I wash every pair of panties in the sink after I'm done with them for the day, and hang them on the shower to air dry, then wash them like normal in the washer on laundry day.

I will admit to wearing the same bra two days in a row. I wear the same bra for two days at work, and then another the next two days if I have to work four days that week.

It's only gross, to me, if I keep wearing the same sports bra after working out/sweating.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Unlike Slayer, I sweat because I'm in retail. (Why is our store so hot all the time??) I tend to buy off the clearance rack, and since I know my proper size, $6 bras are just fine. If I find more than one on the rack, I buy 'em all. But I do commit the sin of putting them in the washer. Oh well; they're $6 bras. But I do airdry. I've machine-dried in a pinch. Also, sometimes I think I'd rather just wear sport bras, 'cause I don't see why uniboob is bad.
      Last edited by Food Lady; 11-07-2011, 05:50 AM.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I sweat a little from time to time at work, but actually, I only get boob sweat when I'm working out.

I do put all my bras in the washer, but I airdry them all. And I wash all of my bras I've worn that week every week (save for a new clean one on that day).
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I was always told you should get measured once every 18 - 24 months just to make sure the ladies are supported right.

Comment

I'm an 18G (42H us size, I think), so my bras are ALL expensive.

Sweat forms salt crystals, and salt crystals are sharp-edged and literally cut the threads (albiet slowly) as you move around in the bra. Some other types of dirt also damage the threads microscopically; but it all shortens the use life of your bras. (and other clothes.)

It does little or no harm for your clothes to sit around in the laundry basket waiting for laundry day: it's only when you subject them to the movement of a normal day of being worn that the salt crystals and dirt motes wear away at the fibres.

I agree that washing every day is too much bother for a $6 bra. But at my size, to get a supportive bra, I pay a minimum of $60. At that price, I want them to last! So yes, if I was buying as few bras as reasonable, I'd be buying two, and washing one every day/wearing the other.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I wash mine A LOT in the summer. I have to, it's literally tropical here in the summer.

Don't wash in hot water, and don't put in the dryer. I put mine into a mesh delicates bag when I wash them and hang them to dry.

Don't buy cheap bras, either. I mean, you don't have to break the bank, but you get what you pay for. I like Belks, as they are always running sales and I can get a good quality minimizer for around twenty bucks. I am a 34D with narrow shoulders, so I don't really want to look any bigger than I am.

I was a 34C before I had a baby. At 34C, if your girls are popping out of your cups, you are definitely buying the wrong kind of bra. One cup size should not cause that sort of thing to happen.

Most women are in the wrong size bra. They will swear blind they are not, but you'd be surprised.

I would highly recommend avoiding places like Victoria's Secret and such. Those bras are for fun, not for practical purposes. Go to a Belks or some similar department store, and look for the lady with the tape measure hanging around her neck. Let her give you a look over and measure, and when she tells you a size you're not expecting, believe her. Take the bras she hands you without arguing and try them on. You will be surprised at what you learn.

You should not have any gapping or pulling or cutting into your skin. You should not have cleavage visible under your armpits. You should not have the edge of the cups giving you "pantyline" across your breasts. Bring a Tshirt along and put it on over the bra and see how it looks. The bra should be invisible under your tshirt.

I also recommend wide straps. Your shoulders will thank you. I just cannot place enough value on a bra that fits and that you don't feel as you are wearing it. At your size, I suggest you go with underwires and a minimizer. It will not make you flat chested, trust me. It will just flatter what you've got. You can get minimizers that do NOT look like old lady bras.

Also, if you're planning on losing weight, buy at least two good bras to wear now anyways. You need bras, and you're not going to drop an entire size overnight. By the time you need a new size, you most likely will also need new bras. I'm thinking you probably don't replace them as often as you should be doing anyways.
              Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 11-07-2011, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                But I do commit the sin of putting them in the washer.
                My washer has a no spin option that I adore.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                  I also recommend wide straps. Your shoulders will thank you. I just cannot place enough value on a bra that fits and that you don't feel as you are wearing it. At your size, I suggest you go with underwires and a minimizer. It will not make you flat chested, trust me. It will just flatter what you've got. You can get minimizers that do NOT look like old lady bras.
                  You wear a minimizer on a daily basis? I ask because I have one so I can wear my vintage dresses and it is pure torture and I can't wait to get out of it. Am I getting the wrong kind? Any tips on how to find a comfortable one? My problem may be that I'm trying to wrangle my DDs down to a small C - can you only reasonably / comfortably go down one size?

Kisa - are you in your early 20s? As other people have mentioned most women don't stop developing until around 24 or so. Also, I actually got bigger when I lost weight, but I was also doing weightlifting.
                  A good fitting is a really good start - ask around some stores don't have a fitter on a daily basis, but have fitting events periodically (usually around this time of year too). If you can't find a place that does fittings go to a well stocked store (not Victoria's Secret) and be prepared to spend some time. Don't get stuck on cup size and try on several sizes and brands until you find one that fits comfortably - then buy at least two. Also, a tip I learned somewhere - shop for bras when you are halfway thru your cycle.

*auntiem - who now finds the term "gravity defiying" to be a selling point for a bra.

Comment

Working...
                  X