This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel

So, has anyone here seen this BBC series? Being a reader of true crime and fascinated by the Jack the Ripper murders, this series intrigued me with its premise, and the first two episodes definitely grabbed me.

What do you think?

Oh, and if you are in the UK and have seen more than the first two episodes that have been televised here on BBC America, please, don't spoil it for us silly 'mericans. Thanks!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

This is a brilliant littel series. We stumbled upon here in Oz a few months back and have since bought the DVD and turned most of our family and friends onto it.

Brilliantly written, directed and acted.

You will enjoy every minute of it
    "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
    "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
    "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

I haven't watched it yet but I want to. Love the BBC shows and the whole Jack the Ripper story has always been fascinating. The promos for Whitechapel make it look like something I'd enjoy.
      "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Ok, I about had a heart attack when I saw the title of the thread, because I JUST made a tentative reference to the Whitechapel murders in my novel. I'm going to have to check this show out!

Comment

How is it as far as blood and gore? It sounds interesting but I can at times be slightly squeemish (I have watched the first 3 episodes of Walking Dead and I think I only had to look away when they were chopping up the body and one other time).
          "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

At least in the first two episodes, it has not been exceptionally gory, at least not visually. The discussions about the murders are quite graphic, to be certain, but the actual visuals are not nearly as bad. Of course, my version of gory and yours may be completely different, but considering the subject matter, I think they have been rather adept at letting the viewer's imagination do a lot of the work.

For those interested in the historical Jack the Ripper murders, I highly suggest a book I just finished, "Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect," by Robert House. And yes, my Kindle-bearing brethren, it is available as an ebook through Amazon. That's how I got my copy!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Hmm, I wonder if I've read that Robert House book. If not maybe I'll download it.
              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                At least in the first two episodes, it has not been exceptionally gory, at least not visually. The discussions about the murders are quite graphic, to be certain, but the actual visuals are not nearly as bad. Of course, my version of gory and yours may be completely different, but considering the subject matter, I think they have been rather adept at letting the viewer's imagination do a lot of the work.
                Might not be so bad then. I think I'm mostly bad with chunks of body, eye, neck, or knee injuries. Though I'm getting better at eye and neck sometimes. And so long as it isn't gore for the sake of gore (the newest Punisher didn't work well for me) I can muddle through for a good story. Sometimes. I still never watched the last Sparticus episode despite being very interested in the story line
                "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Working...
                X