This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel bad for her teacher today....

Just put my daughter onto the bus this morning, wailing and moaning, just short of gnashing of the teeth. I actually stopped the bus driver and explained why she was acting like it, because even he raised an eyebrow.

Basically, today is ice cream day at her school. I offered her the choice of 2 pieces of Halloween candy (my approval of it first) or the ice cream. She jumped at the candy idea, and I went to go gather her homework while she picked it out. When I came back, she was holding up the snack bag, with the majority of the bag in her fists. Only one piece of candy was showing above her hand. Yeah. I haven't seen THAT trick before. I asked to see the bag, and she freaked.

"NOOOOOO you don't need to see the bag!" Riiiiiiiight. My suspicions were correct. Not only did she put in FIVE pieces of candy, but she put in jawbreakers, which she knows darn well she's not allowed to have. In fact, she had to specifically leave her bucket of candy and go get them from the cabinet. (Note: They are now out of the cabinet, and all in the trash. Should've done that in the first place)

So, after scolding her, and explaining that deception is just as bad as lying, I tell her to get her shoes on while I go get my jacket. I get my jacket, and come back....not only did she get her shoes, but she even went to far as to pack her backpack and get her jacket on.

"Mommy, I'm going to the bus stop now." Hmmmm no, get back here, you've never, EVER done all this without me reminding you. Let me see your backpack real quick. "NOOOOOOOO don't look in my backpack!"

<facepalm>

I took her backpack anyways, and sure enough, hidden down in the bottom is our...I kid you not....emergency camping radio, with the "help alarm". Basically, you press a button, and a super loud ear piercing siren goes off. Its to help people locate you if you get lost in the woods. <.< She IMMEDIATELY freaked out, sat down on the floor and started screaming and crying. I took it away, and took the candy out of her bag as well. Told her she lost her candy privileges, and that she would now have a small thing of applesauce for her snack today instead. She was free to try again tomorrow for the candy.

Oh. My. Heavens. She went BERSERK. Cried her eyes out, and did it all the way to the bus stop. Tried to talk to her there (in front of the other older kids too, who were cheering me on for parenting, lol) and she had none of it. In fact, she decided to mock me, and point her finger at me and say "Don't give me that attitude, you stop it right now! I'm going to go get my candy and you can't stop me!"

I informed her at that point, that should she continue with that course of action, a spanking would be administered, and there was the possibility of not going to school if she didn't shape up. She then tried to cross the street. I very calmly retrieved her, and yes, I spanked her once on the butt. Bus arrived like....right then. /sigh So, wasn't sure whether to go through with my school thing, since the bus was right there. But, the driver waited while I explained to her why she got spanked, and why it was wrong, then let me put her on the bus, and explain to him what was going on.

The cool thing is that one of the teenagers who waits there told me she admired the way I handled her, and that "her mom would never have the guts to do that".

I feel kinda bad though, still sending her off like that. I'm hoping that once she gets there, she'll get her attitude back in check. And if not....well...I guess hubby will get to go pick her up. -.-
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Uh oh.

I have to ask, why is she not allowed the jawbreakers? Allergies?

Rapscallion

Comment

Actually, its because she's only five, lol. She can't quite get the hang of them, and I don't want her bringing them to school and possibly choking on them/giving them to another kid who may choke on them.

The weird part is she WAY knows better on those. Heck, when she was going through her candy, she was picking them out and giving them to me to put away.

Comment

Sounds like she really wants to test the boundaries again. My sympathies.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          Sounds like she really wants to test the boundaries again. My sympathies.

Rapscallion
          But boundaries are good - when older she will act like a real human being, not a little ape. It is well worth the effort now.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            But boundaries are good - when older she will act like a real human being, not a little ape. It is well worth the effort now.
            Not something you can explain to a kid at that age though. I don't envy parents, even though I appreciate good ones.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              Exactly. My BIL's kids are little demons. They don't believe in spanking, timeouts, etc. They just...talk....to the kids. That's worked out so well. /sarcasm

There was an infamous incident where I saw him punch his mother once. Hard. She'd told him no more soda or something....and he just whomped her. I flat out flying tackled him and had him pinned when I realized she was ticked at ME about it. She was angry that I "didn't let her exercise diplomacy and talk to him". I was like, you know if I had ever hit my mother? A flying tackle would've been a glad replacement for the certain death I would've faced.

So yeah. I'm going to make sure to instill good values in my children EARLY so that they don't grow up like that.

Quoth Geek King View Post
              Not something you can explain to a kid at that age though. I don't envy parents, even though I appreciate good ones.
              I've tried to explain it as "if you don't learn now, you'll grow up to be a monster". Works fairly well. XP

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                I've tried to explain it as "if you don't learn now, you'll grow up to be a monster". Works fairly well. XP
                'You'll grow up like BIL's kids!'
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                  There was an infamous incident where I saw him punch his mother once. Hard. She'd told him no more soda or something....and he just whomped her. I flat out flying tackled him and had him pinned when I realized she was ticked at ME about it. She was angry that I "didn't let her exercise diplomacy and talk to him". I was like, you know if I had ever hit my mother? A flying tackle would've been a glad replacement for the certain death I would've faced.
                  OMG! Did I read that right? The kid struck his mother without any reason...and she's upset b/c you stopped the kid from pummeling her?!

Good to see that you are making an effort to keep your own kids from being like that.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

...She came home from school and informed me very smugly that she cried to her teacher about "losing her candy" and....she got Halloween leftovers to make her feel better.

I told her that was very bad, she knew better, and she said "yeah, I know." I grounded her right there, said no more candy, no desserts for the rest of the week. Well, she ran off all dramatically, and went into her room.

Started cleaning the kitchen, and noticed she was very, very quiet. Called for her a couple of times, and went to go check on her. She was hiding in her bed, eating a bar of chocolate as fast as she could. I asked her where she got it, and it turns out she'd hidden a small amount in her shirt. (Jacket had covered it up) I made her throw it out herself, and she just got the "Wait until your father gets home" speech.

So freaking livid right now. She's always been a good kid, this is just completely out of left field for her.

Comment

Please tell me you have or will call the teacher and explain that daughter is NOT to be given any candy at school unless she brings it with her? The teacher just undermined what you did this morning with your child and that is just not ok.

Comment

I'm with Shpepper on this one. If my daughter's teacher did that, and I found out, I'd be on the phone with the teacher as soon as I found out. That right there made me angry.

At the bare minimum shoot the teacher an e-mail and let her know you are very unhappy with what she did.
                        And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

To be fair, we don't know what the daughter told the teacher. It could have been "I dropped my candy on the way to school, and lost it, and can't find it, and *cry*", in which case the teacher took pity on her.

Now, I hope that Seraph will tell the teacher about the grounding, but for today? The teacher might not have done it deliberately, so no yelling until after finding that out. Chances are the teacher will be mightily pissed for being taken in like that, and assign some extra work on why that was not nice.

Daughter will learn. She won't like it, but she'll learn.

Comment

I'm agreeing with Pederson. Probably Daughter needs a lesson on why lying to the teacher is bad: and that the adults around her DO talk to each other.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not blaming the teacher at all for this. This is allllll my daughter. Its very, very odd behavior, as I said though. She's never, EVER lied before except for starting this weekend.

I will be letting her know that Sarah's completely grounded from any sweets this week, especially as this week I'm pretty sure they're having a mini-feast.

Just really unsure where she picked this up. I don't know if this is backlash from the incident she went through recently at school, or what. But, I'm just going to try and do my best to make her realize that lying = very bad, and that she shouldn't do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X